Author Topic: 1 Aug 2011: it's 2001  (Read 8506 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Aug 2011: it's 2001
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
someone on FB requests an "All Jerry" 10@10 sometime this week, ideally Friday. 

It *would* make sense, as it's "local scene" month, his B-day was today and his death-day is coming up. Good luck with that, bub.
I'd love to hear it, probably next Tuesday would be the best day (end of 'Jerry Week') but I can't see the PD letting it happen.

I *could* envision an all-local set on Friday (the Morning show is kicking off "live'n'local" month) with local artists spanning the decades and including one Dead or Jerry solo track.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
A better set would have been:

Afro-Celt Sound System ft. Peter Gabriel - When You're Falling

thanks, that was the PG/world music thing I couldn't think of. I'll always associate it with that year because it ended up on that "songs not to play after 9/11" list that Clear Channel put out.

AL did play the Pete Yorn you mentioned (I WOSed it -- that filter his voice goes thru always struck me as way too gimmicky)

And yes, it was a totally KFOG-playlist-centric set, as I suspect DC dictates for anything post-1990.  AL really needs to play some Britney Spears.

True about her playing Pete Yorn.  I don't mind the gimmicky sounding voice because I think it works in the song (i.e. both his voice and the music sound like they're scratchy in the same ways), less so in some other songs by him.  I still listed it because that one (along with the Afro-Celt Sound System & Josh Joplin Group) are pretty quintessentally AAA circa 2001 -- which was about the time I REALLY started getting into AAA.  Instead we got a pretty lame almost entirely Hot AC-leaning sample hour except for DB & PY.  Kind of a running theme for many late 90s sets, but I was hoping the first visit to 2001 wouldn't succumb to that.  Unfortunately it did, though 2000 wasn't bad.

Yes, I would LOVE her to play some Britney Spears!  I was mad that she cut off "Lucky" at the end of the Lucky 13 set.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
8/1/11- 10 years back...2001 

1.U2- Beautiful Day
 2.Pete Yorn- Life On A Chain
(MOVIE: Royal Tenenbaums)
 3. Jimmy Eat World- The Middle
 4. Cake- Short Skirt, Long Jacket
(TV: Daily Show: The Bush Budget)
 5. Jack Johnson- Inaudible Melodies
 6. Train- Drops Of Jupiter
(TV: Daily Show)
 7. David Byrne- Like Humans Do (B.O.S!!)
 8. Weezer- Island In The Sun
 9. 311- Amber
(TV: Daily Show-Bush Tax Cuts)
10. Luce- Good Day

the intern chose a sort of futuristic font for the list.  Check it out and be dazzled while you still can!
http://kfog.com/PROGRAMMING/1010.aspx
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
Yeah, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed... this really is a KFOG-ish set from that year, even if they didn't touch "The Middle" until the following year. "Drops Of Jupiter" gets way too much airplay to ever appear on a 10@10. Jack Johnson bores me, whereas the only reason I'm not as bored by Pete Yorn is that he hasn't been quite as prolific as Johnson.

If need be, I'll BOS "Good Day".