Author Topic: Monday 18 July  (Read 4926 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Woman Tonight
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 08:35:44 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "ggould"

What a bizarre song indeed!  It seems to count 4/4, but has some pretty odd flavoring.  You're the real musician, I'm just a bass player.  What sig do you think it is?
 :lol:

i've always counted it (with a great deal of trouble) in 4/4. but the accents are all over the place. it's as if all of the instruments are hitting different accents.

Their fanbase (and radio) found it bizarre too, or at least out-of-character, as it peaked at #44, breaking a streak of 4 top 20 singles in a row.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 09:33:56 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

What a bizarre song indeed!  It seems to count 4/4, but has some pretty odd flavoring.  You're the real musician, I'm just a bass player.  What sig do you think it is?
i've always counted it (with a great deal of trouble) in 4/4. but the accents are all over the place. it's as if all of the instruments are hitting different accents.
Their fanbase (and radio) found it bizarre too, or at least out-of-character, as it peaked at #44, breaking a streak of 4 top 20 singles in a row.

They've always had a strange hallucinogenic side to their music, but I guess it resonated with a pop audience on certain levels.  I guess "Woman Tonight" just went too far!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 01:29:23 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

The key to catching the time signature is to break it into blocks of 8 beats instead of four and follow the organ that lilts up and down in the background.  That instrument keeps its beat without accents for stretches, faintly behind the beat; once you've got that followed then the other instruments fall more readily into place.  It does work out as 4|4, though I'd rather call it 8|8 if there is such a thing.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 09:59:57 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

The key to catching the time signature is to break it into blocks of 8 beats instead of four and follow the organ that lilts up and down in the background.  That instrument keeps its beat without accents for stretches, faintly behind the beat; once you've got that followed then the other instruments fall more readily into place.  It does work out as 4|4, though I'd rather call it 8|8 if there is such a thing.

thanks, gaz! that does make sense. but, unfort, there's no such thing as 8/8. i don't know why. there's 6/8, and 7/8, but 8/8 would be, like, one. :)