Author Topic: 24 June 2011: The Pride Set  (Read 6969 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 24 June 2011: The Pride Set
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »
tee hee, what was that clip from?   reminds me a very crude Joe Rogan comedy bit where he and his friend are lifting weights and showing off their muscles to each other and explicit gay hilarity ensues.

Will & Grace

Joe Rogan is a major meathead/douchebag.

Could be, you mean his politics?   I remember him from News Radio and then Fear Factor of course, he also does color commentary on MMA/Ultimate fighting shows, which I found disturbingly interesting when I had cable.  The clip about the weight lifters I know from hearing it on the old airwaves Howard Stern show.

Would be good to hear some movie clips from the 80s, like My Beautiful Laundrette, Parting GlancesGlee, Will & Grace, etc owe a lot to them, and then again, they owe a lot to those that came before.

BOSylvester in perpetuity!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:48:21 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
I try never to log into FB on work computer. Fear...... I felt compelled to do it to share my Sylvester enthusiasm.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »
tee hee, what was that clip from?   reminds me a very crude Joe Rogan comedy bit where he and his friend are lifting weights and showing off their muscles to each other and explicit gay hilarity ensues.

Will & Grace

Joe Rogan is a major meathead/douchebag.

Could be, you mean his politics?   I remember him from News Radio and then Fear Factor of course, he also does color commentary on MMA/Ultimate fighting shows, which I found disturbingly interesting when I had cable. 

Rogan is now a wholly owned subsidiary of MMA -- a couple years ago they had him on some ESPN talk show to "debate" with someone about MMA vs. boxing (which is better? is MMA usurping boxing in the sports hierarchy? etc). The boxing guy made a comment and then Rogan *SCREAMED* at him like a complete lunatic for 3 minutes about how MMA is gonna kick boxing's ass and so on -- he looked like a total asshole. It was unbelieveable. And yet funny, because MMA is the Gayest. Sport. Evah.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:03:59 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »
Looking at last year's, I didn't really miss Melisseridge or Rufus W or Mr/Ms DiFranco. Nice that there are so many songs to choose from that the set can change from year to year.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
Only four repeats from last year, plus kd lang doing a different song.

6/24/11-Friday!! Celebrating the 41st Annual SF Pride Weekend!!

1. Village People- San Francisco(You Got Me)
(Movie:Tales of The City- Mikey & Mama)
   2. Scissor Sisters- Take Your Mama
(TV:Seinfeld)
   3. David Bowie- John I'm Only Dancing
(Movie:The Opposite of Sex)
   4. Blur- Girls & Boys
(TV:Friends-The Kiss/Jennifer Anniston & Winona Ryder)
   5. K.D.Lang- Miss Chatelaine
(Movie:TransAmerica)
   6. The Polyphonic Spree- Wig In a Box
(TV:Ellen, When Are You Gonna Come Out?)
   7. Diana Ross- I'm Coming Out
(TV:Will & Grace)
  8. Joe Jackson- Real Men
(TV:Glee-The Kiss)
   9. Carl Bean- I Was Born This Way
(TV:Modern Family)
  10. Sylvester- You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
Looking at last year's, I didn't really miss Melisseridge or Rufus W or Mr/Ms DiFranco. Nice that there are so many songs to choose from that the set can change from year to year.

No kidding. Only four repeats between this year and last. (I haven't checked back to see what AL played in 2009, but I will.)  What makes that really significant is that for the six Pride sets listed in the Shraytabase (2002 and 2004-08), there are only 17 different songs among all of them. Dave had his favorites, and for the most part he stuck to them.

Full disclosure: Three of those sets, 2005, 2006 and 2007, have identical setlists. 2006 is listed as a repeat of the previous year, but 2007 is noted as being a "dupe setlist but not classic." So does that mean Dave just played the same 10 songs in the same order, with a live intro and backsell?

ETA: Here's AL's first Pride setlist from 2009. And the same four songs turn up again: Sylvester, Carl Bean, Blur, and Polyphonic Spree, plus the Ani diFranco song appeared in 09 and 10 but dropped out this year. So I guess AL has her faves just as Dave did.

6/26/09 - FRIDAY!!!!!  Today it's the LGBT Pride set!

1.  Sylvester - You Make Me Feel Mighty Real
(Movie:  Milk)
   2.  Carl Bean - I Was Born This Way
(TV:  Queer As Folk)
   3.  Melissa Etheridge - Yes, I Am
(TV:  Queer As Folk)
   4.  Timbuk 3 - Legalize Our Love
(TV:  Seinfeld)
   5.  Pansy Division - That's So Gay!
(News:  Rob Halford comes out)
   6.  Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
(Movie:  Opposite of Sex)
   7.  Ani DiFranco - In or Out
(Movie:  Transamerica)
   8.  Polyphonic Spree - Wig in a Box
(News:  UPI on the street)
   9.  The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
 10.  Blur - Girls & Boys

BONUS TRACK (from Lenny in SF):  Petshop Boys - Go West
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:50:14 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »

No kidding. Only four repeats between this year and last. (I haven't checked back to see what AL played in 2009, but I will.)  What makes that really significant is that for the six Pride sets listed in the Shraytabase (2002 and 2004-08), there are only 17 different songs among all of them. Dave had his favorites, and for the most part he stuck to them.

Full disclosure: Three of those sets, 2005, 2006 and 2007, have identical setlists. 2006 is listed as a repeat of the previous year, but 2007 is noted as being a "dupe setlist but not classic." So does that mean Dave just played the same 10 songs in the same order, with a live intro and backsell?

ETA: Here's AL's first Pride setlist from 2009. And the same four songs turn up again: Sylvester, Carl Bean, Blur, and Polyphonic Spree, plus the Ani diFranco song appeared in 09 and 10 but dropped out this year. So I guess AL has her faves just as Dave did.

Good analysis, to which I would add that we are in the FB era as well as the AL era and that has meant diversity (and bustouts galore) across the board on 10@10. And my memory may be hazy, but I don't think Dave ever played the Diana Ross tune. He probably considered it too obvious, but I was always surprised the Carl Bean was not on his radar.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:14:14 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
Very interesting -- someone just this week posted the "original" original version of "I Was Born This Way" on YT: a guy who called himself Valentino did the first version in 1975, and it's more '70s Soul/Beach Music sounding than the discofied Carl Bean take we've all heard.  Rather nice, IMHO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VroOVN9ReY

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
Very interesting -- someone just this week posted the "original" original version of "I Was Born This Way" on YT: a guy who called himself Valentino did the first version in 1975, and it's more '70s Soul/Beach Music sounding than the discofied Carl Bean take we've all heard.  Rather nice, IMHO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VroOVN9ReY

Wow - yes, quite different.