Author Topic: 17 June 2011: Father's Day  (Read 12970 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 17 June 2011: Father's Day
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »
It's hours like this that renew my bitterness over having a father who didn't love me.  It's now been 20 years since I last saw him (in a courtroom) and almost 25 since we spoke civilly.

Ugh.  I'm with you on this one.  Never met my dad...though he's living a lovely existence in So Cal.  Happy Deadbeat Dad Day!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »
It's hours like this that renew my bitterness over having a father who didn't love me.  It's now been 20 years since I last saw him (in a courtroom) and almost 25 since we spoke civilly.

Ugh.  I'm with you on this one.  Never met my dad...though he's living a lovely existence in So Cal.  Happy Deadbeat Dad Day!

OK, I Confess, too: my father died when I was three.  Stepdad was not, shall we say, a winner.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »

OK, I Confess, too: my father died when I was three.  Stepdad was not, shall we say, a winner.

And my dad died when I was 5. Wow, way to bring ourselves down, eh?

(I did have an uncle who had all the Alpert LPs  -- as well as Mitch Miller.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:37:24 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »

hey, look on the bright side: at least our dads didn't torture us with Our House:)
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »

(I did have an uncle who had all the Alpert LPs  -- as well as Mitch Miller.)

My dad was basically a good man, but had his issues.  By now I've forgiven him, and better understand the challenges he faced.  He died some 20 years ago, and I miss him...

He also had a lot of Herb Alpert, Kingston Trio and Roger Miller.  But his real love was classical, and I can still whistle most of the Oveture to Carmen.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »

Ouch.  Sorry to hear, all.  "That's Life," eh?  Wishing you all a happy weekend, in any case.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
OMFG! It's GITER!!!  BOS3 Sinatra.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
Nice dedication from Giter Dunn, but why did he have to choose the crappiest Sinatra song ever?  "That's Life" sucks.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

hey, look on the bright side: at least our dads didn't torture us with Our House:)
Ain't that the truth!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
Nice dedication from Giter Dunn, but why did he have to choose the crappiest Sinatra song ever?  "That's Life" sucks.

That's heresy, my friend.  My My!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
OMFG! It's GITER!!!  BOS3 Sinatra.
Yeah, my Pops had Sinatra albums.  After all, we lived in NJ, it was required  ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:46:18 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »
OMFG! It's GITER!!!  BOS3 Sinatra.
Yeah, my Pops had Sinatra albums (after all, we lived in NJ, so it was required)

Eww, he covered "Winchester Cathedral"?  Horrifying.

(FWIW, I've met Dean Kay, the writer of "That's Life."  He's kind of a jerk, and several years ago he wrote to the Village Voice to criticize a story I'd written about the state of the music industry.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 11:05:41 AM »
(FWIW, I've met Dean Kay, the writer of "That's Life."  He's kind of a jerk, and several years ago he wrote to the Village Voice to criticize a story I'd written about the state of the music industry.)

well, i"m guessing he's pretty old  ;)  And if Frank's cover of "Mrs Robinson" was any indication, his covers of "those songs the kids are listening to" are generally pretty bad. Tho' he did an interesting job with Cher's "Bang Bang".

and Tinka, looks like you could make some cash selling copies of today's set to the FB crowd. Everybody wants one!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:07:24 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I'll BOS Frank, despite the song choice.

My father and mother got together in the 60s and they bought quote a few Sinatra records.  As I got older and learned to appreciate Ol Blue Eyes, I eventually took their Sinatra records (on Capitol and Reprise) into my own collection.  Still have them, of course, and some I have on CD as well.

When AL first started the Father's Day request thread, I *think* I was the first person to mention Sinatra, but I wasn't all up in AL's grill with some awesome father story and didn't get tapped for a call-in testimonial.   (BTW, Giter has a good radio voice, IMO.)

nice theme concept.  BOS to all dads ... and to moms who also have to be dads.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
and Tinka, looks like you could make some cash selling copies of today's set to the FB crowd. Everybody wants one!

I did record it.  start the bidding!
~CPL593H~