Author Topic: 1976 on Mon 7/11/05  (Read 8910 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Young Blood
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 11:00:22 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"

Let's not forget Leon Russell's version from Bangladesh.

I wish someone would put together a definitive Leon Russell anthology. What a career.

He got a call out from Little Steven last night, but at the moment I can't recall which song in the set it was that he'd played on.

Did anyone stick around for Selvin's show?  Extended jams only, made me stay up way past my bedtime.

I was nodding in-and-out but I'll wager it was Gary Lewis & the Playboys, Leon did keyborads on most of their stuff.  I don't get to hear Selvin much now that they switched him to the 11pm slot... he does come up with interesting stuff.  Last week I did listen (since Mon was a holiday) and he did a salute to Jack Nietsche -- he actually played "Up Where We Belong" by Cocker & Warnes, and it suddenly got cut off in the middle. I couldn't help but wonder if that was an accident-on-purpose.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: the list
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 11:28:29 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

9. Neil Young  -  Sugar Mountain

9. Neil Young  -  Sugar Mountain  Long May You Run

Are you saying they did not actually play Sugar Mountain?  I just came in after the fact and did some janitorial work, taking it off of the Drive list.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 11:56:32 AM »

I was nodding in-and-out but I'll wager it was Gary Lewis & the Playboys, Leon did keyborads on most of their stuff.  I don't get to hear Selvin much now that they switched him to the 11pm slot... he does come up with interesting stuff.  Last week I did listen (since Mon was a holiday) and he did a salute to Jack Nietsche -- he actually played "Up Where We Belong" by Cocker & Warnes, and it suddenly got cut off in the middle. I couldn't help but wonder if that was an accident-on-purpose.

Wasn't Leon Russell one of the pianists on a lot of Phil Spector's wall-of-sound sessions? I'm pretty sure the guy has a studio resume a mile long, over and above the stuff he released under his own name.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 12:30:05 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Wasn't Leon Russell one of the pianists on a lot of Phil Spector's wall-of-sound sessions? I'm pretty sure the guy has a studio resume a mile long, over and above the stuff he released under his own name.

you are correct, sir!

http://www.emusic.com/artist/11584/11584595.html

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 01:46:49 PM »

Are you saying they did not actually play Sugar Mountain?  I just came in after the fact and did some janitorial work, taking it off of the Drive list.

They played "Long May You Run".  "Sugar Mountain" musta been a typo.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 01:55:46 PM »

The past has been revised:
9. Stills-Young Band - Long May You Run

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »

That's what I love about publishing on the Internet. Make a mistake? Poof! It's gone!! What mistake? (I could probably get a job with the Republicans with that attitude. ;-)  )

Speaking of whom, anyone care to bet whether or not Bush lives up to his promise to fire whoever ratted out Valerie Plame, now that it turns out that his chief dirty trickster Karl Rove was the guilty party?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 03:07:58 PM »

That's what I love about publishing on the Internet. Make a mistake? Poof! It's gone!! What mistake? (I could probably get a job with the Republicans with that attitude. ;-)  )

Speaking of whom, anyone care to bet whether or not Bush lives up to his promise to fire whoever ratted out Valerie Plame, now that it turns out that his chief dirty trickster Karl Rove was the guilty party?

Firing's too good for Mr Rove; isn't what he did a treasonous offense?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2005, 03:38:03 PM »

Rove? What Karl Rove?

But seriously folks, I can't see Bush deviating from his pathology, so I can't see him dissing Rove at all, unless it gets real sticky.  Real sticky.  When Pigs Fly kind of sticky, Roger Waters and David Gilmour play together again kind of likelihood.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2005, 05:50:11 PM »

Rove? What Karl Rove?

But seriously folks, I can't see Bush deviating from his pathology, so I can't see him dissing Rove at all, unless it gets real sticky.  Real sticky.  When Pigs Fly kind of sticky, Roger Waters and David Gilmour play together again kind of likelihood.

At least the press is jumping on it with both feet. Here's a transcript of this afternoon's press briefing and McClellan's "responses."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000977098

Reminds me somewhat of Ron Ziegler in his heyday during Watergate. Thank god they're finally doing SOMETHING to call the administration on some of this sh*t.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1976 on Mon 7/11/05
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:55 AM »
Thanks for the link Urth.  This part deserves to be highlighted:

Q: Scott, this is ridiculous. The notion that you're going to stand before us, after having commented with that level of detail, and tell people watching this that somehow you've decided not to talk. You've got a public record out there. Do you stand by your remarks from that podium or not?

MCCLELLAN: I'm well aware, like you, of what was previously said. And I will be glad to talk about it at the appropriate time. The appropriate time is when the investigation...

Q: (inaudible) when it's appropriate and when it's inappropriate?

MCCLELLAN: If you'll let me finish.

Q: No, you're not finishing. You're not saying anything. You stood at that podium and said that Karl Rove was not involved. And now we find out that he spoke about Joseph Wilson's wife. So don't you owe the American public a fuller explanation. Was he involved or was he not? Because contrary to what you told the American people, he did indeed talk about his wife, didn't he?

MCCLELLAN: There will be a time to talk about this, but now is not the time to talk about it.

Q: Do you think people will accept that, what you're saying today?

MCCLELLAN: Again, I've responded to the question.

QUESTION: You're in a bad spot here, Scott... because after the investigation began -- after the criminal investigation was under way -- you said, October 10th, 2003, "I spoke with those individuals, Rove, Abrams and Libby. As I pointed out, those individuals assured me they were not involved in this," from that podium. That's after the criminal investigation began.

Now that Rove has essentially been caught red-handed peddling this information, all of a sudden you have respect for the sanctity of the criminal investigation?

MCCLELLAN: No, that's not a correct characterization. And I think you are well aware of that.....
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010