Author Topic: Tue 7/5/05: It's 1980  (Read 12796 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Tue 7/5/05: It's 1980
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 10:15:46 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Wow, Dave casts "Jackson Browne" spell vindictively against the Princess and does 2d4 damage!

"2d4" ? is that hip-hop speak?

This is the same JB we heard last week from Bob, no?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 10:17:34 AM »
Quote from: "Rastermon"
I wish Dave would play "Freedom of Choice" instead of this.  It's far more relevant to our current relationship with media and entertainment.

"Freedom of choice is what you got.  Freedom from choice is what you want."

Agreed, but  wasn't that on a later LP? - "The New Traditionalists" I remember it around 1982ish

You know, I really have no idea.  Devo never really changed their sound so I'd never know one album from another.  (BTW, I do like "Whip It" a lot; I just hear it a lot.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 10:18:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Wow, Dave casts "Jackson Browne" spell vindictively against the Princess and does 2d4 damage!

Even worse: D&D-speak.  "2d4" means "roll a four-sided die twice."  The resulting number indicates the amount of damage done.

Ooh!  BOS to Yoko's wishing bell (which I mistakenly assumed to be an elevator opening for YEARS).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 10:19:04 AM »
I wish Dave would play "Freedom of Choice" instead of this.  It's far more relevant to our current relationship with media and entertainment.

Agreed, but  wasn't that on a later LP? - "The New Traditionalists" I remember it around 1982ish

You know, I really have no idea.  Devo never really changed their sound so I'd never know one album from another.  (BTW, I do like "Whip It" a lot; I just hear it a lot.)

Both Whip It and Freedom of Choice were on the same album (I bought it), I think named "Freedom of Choice"
Now I'm eight bits...

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 10:19:28 AM »

You've obviously never played Dungeons & Dragons- which, come to think of it, was something I was doing in 1980!

ETA: Gaz explained it better while I was busy composing these brilliant lines...

My copy of Double Fantasy kept skipping. I took it back- exchanged it- and that kept skipping, too. Do you think the spirit of John Lennon was pissed at me?
nakes? On my plane?

Rastermon

• The Core
  • Three Bits
    • View Profile
    • Rastermon Graphic Design
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 10:20:30 AM »

just googled it and you were right - same album as whip it
http://www.freedomofchoice.com/devo/songs.asp
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rastermon

• The Core
  • Three Bits
    • View Profile
    • Rastermon Graphic Design
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 10:23:24 AM »
BOS to Dire Straits
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 10:27:05 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
My copy of Double Fantasy kept skipping. I took it back- exchanged it- and that kept skipping, too. Do you think the spirit of John Lennon was pissed at me?

If so, he was pissed at me too: When I was a member of BMG they advertised that DF had Yoko's "Walking on Thin Ice" on it, so I ordered it.  Found that it wasn't on there, so I returned it in a huff.

P.S.  I wasn't playing D&D until 1982, and didn't do well at it: I loved creating characters but got impatient with the adventures.  The final straw for my brother was when I used half my allotment of gold pieces to buy 25 chickens: I argued that they were a performing chorus called "Pick O' the Chix."  I was promptly killed off.  I hated having an older brother sometimes.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 10:29:43 AM »
WOS (natch) to somnambulent Doobs, "Real Love."  Why don't they steal away, why don't they steeeeal uhhhh-waaaaay?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005, 10:31:35 AM »
assuming this Doobs is a Gaz WOS -- this isn't even one of MY fave McDonald trax  -- too too obvious an attempt to clone "What a Fool Believes".

Gaz, your av is freaking me out.  "Journey when their album covers were cheezy."

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 10:32:37 AM »
I get the feeling there were lots of inferior copies of "Double Fantasy" made because they were made in haste following John's murder (I hadn't gotten 'round to getting mine until after).

As for why Yoko's song wasn't on there: ya got me.

As for your chickens: you should have spent the rest of your gold on razor wire for their feet & arrowheads for their beaks. Then they could have been "attack chickens" as well as "performing chickens". It's all in how you present it, babe.  :D
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
Heh: followed by a visit to the Real Love Canal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2005, 10:33:54 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Gaz, your av is freaking me out.  "Journey when their album covers were cheezy."

And when their video games were even cheezier!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
BOS U2
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
pretty exciting back then, eh?  crank it up!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2005, 10:34:56 AM »
Heh: followed by a visit to the Real Love Canal.

I always figured Hooker Chemical made antibiotics and prophylactics :wink: