Author Topic: 19 August 2010: It's 1997!  (Read 11185 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 19 August 2010: It's 1997!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
Oh no, not Radiohead.  >:( WOS

I'm feeling your anger. Will have to wait for the repeat to tell if the Cornershop played is the album version or not. Me hopes so.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »
Oh no, not Radiohead.  >:( WOS

Sigh.  My guess is that this will win BOS to boot.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
Oh no, not Radiohead.  >:( WOS

I'm feeling your anger. Will have to wait for the repeat to tell if the Cornershop played is the album version or not. Me hopes so.

I recognized it as the version Live 105 used to play.

damn this Radiohead thing is f---ing endless. I wasn't gonna WOS it but ... WOS3.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
Funny, they were just poking fun at U2's Pop album the other day -- Webster mentioned they're working on a new "club" CD and Irish Greg sarcastically replied "oh, because Pop turned out *SO* well..."

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
"We couldn't end with anything better than that." -Uhhhh....ok, Annalisa  :-\

"That's one of those songs that's going to end up on the best of all time lists." -Umm, really Annalisa?  ???

"Paranoid Android masterpiece" -Was that sarcasm, Annalisa?  ::)

Oh well.  Most of the set was much better and less generic than the previous 97 sets.  Keeping my fingers crossed for Eleanor McEvoy next time. (And let's hope we don't have to wait 8 1/2 months for the next one, like we did between 2 Oct 09 and 16 June 10.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
Keeping my fingers crossed for Eleanor McEvoy next time. (And let's hope we don't have to wait 8 1/2 months for the next one, like we did between 2 Oct 09 and 16 June 10.)

I saw the requests for that -- unfamiliar to me. Was any SF station playing that in '97?

oh, AL: the  "'Bohemian Rhapsody' of the '90s" was actually... "Bohemian Rhapsody" ;)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »
Keeping my fingers crossed for Eleanor McEvoy next time. (And let's hope we don't have to wait 8 1/2 months for the next one, like we did between 2 Oct 09 and 16 June 10.)

I saw the requests for that -- unfamiliar to me. Was any SF station playing that in '97?

oh, AL: the  "'Bohemian Rhapsody' of the '90s" was actually... "Bohemian Rhapsody" ;)

I don't remember it ever coming on the radio, but it was on a Blockbuster promo, which led me to buy the album. It would wind up going to #7 on my personal chart (and it would be the only time Eleanor would reach my chart). My how times have changed.

I'll add that for the longest time I thought she was African-English, a la Tasmin Archer (somebody else who needs to be on 10@10.) At least I got the side of the Atlantic correct.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:03:55 AM by Swellegant »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »

Not really sure, since I wasn't here then & can't get into the Mediabase archives.  I know it did hit the AAA chart (but if it is unfamiliar to you, then my guess is KFOG wasn't one of the stations playing it) & it even got some pop spins -- which is how I heard it, on my then-local pop station KQKY, not nearly enough airplay to make the chart though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:10:19 AM by radical347 »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »

oh, AL: the  "'Bohemian Rhapsody' of the '90s" was actually... "Bohemian Rhapsody" ;)

I don't remember it ever coming on the radio, but it was on a Blockbuster promo, which led me to buy the album. It would wind up going to #7 on my personal chart (and it would be the only time Eleanor would reach my chart). My how times have changed.

I'll add that for the longest time I thought she was African-English, a la Tasmin Archer (somebody else who needs to be on 10@10.) At least I got the side of the Atlantic correct.

Tasmin Archer's Sleeping Satellite has appeared on 10 at 10 in the Dave M era for sure. 
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »

Tasmin Archer's Sleeping Satellite has appeared on 10 at 10 in the Dave M era for sure. 

& Annalisa has played it once too, on her 1993 mystery-year set.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »

Evidently I'd forgotten... but at any rate, it won't hurt for her to appear again.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »

Evidently I'd forgotten... but at any rate, it won't hurt for her to appear again.

I liked her Elvis Costello cover (or covers) from the same LP.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »

I liked her Elvis Costello cover (or covers) from the same LP.

I believe you are referring to her (outstanding) "Shipbuilders" EP.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
8/19/10- Thursday!! Great Sounds from...1997!!

1.  Foo Fighters- Everlong
 2.  Huffamoose- Wait
(TV: Teletubbies-hold hands)
 3.  Cardigans- Lovefool
 4.  U2- Do You Feel Loved?
(News: Local /Mayor Brown new 49r's stadium)
 5.  Portishead- All Mine (BOS!!)
 6.  Beck- The New Pollution
 7.  Third Eye Blind- Semi Charmed Life
 8.  Cornershop- Brimful of Asha
(News of Mother Teresa's passing during Princess Di funeral)
 9.  Widespread Panic- Hope In A Hopeless World
10.  Radiohead- Paranoid Android

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
Ooh...Widespread Panic.  Good one.  BOS4.  (Also recommend: the Phil Roy cover.)
well, it's better their their usual widespread boredom.  ;)  Sounds like something Jeff Healey or somebody might've done 10 years earlier.
I've got the original Pops Staples version too.  Great song.  Our band does it at the hospital and at church now and then.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!