Author Topic: 7 July 2010: it's... 1981  (Read 11809 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 7 July 2010: it's... 1981
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

Thank you lufaphs, for always requesting wonderfully quirky and obscure songs like this.  BOS4

You know, I haven't heard this on the radio since I was 12. I'll have to stay up tonight, or tape it, or something.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »
well, damn.... as soon as I left she played my 2 requests AND the diz-ouble diz-utch!  and Mr Krankypants got his TV party.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
I got busy and missed the set. I take it the Winwood was NOT Night Train. BOS Rick James
Sharks bleed teal.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
Yeah, this Steve Winwood song blows.
Ooh...here's Mike's request.  Had a mini crush on Rick, until he got that facelift.  Yikes.
Hey, SG - are you going to see Blondie/B52's at the Mountain Winery?  I'm going with Yessongs (and our wives), who appears here now and then.

No, not going to the Blondie/B-52's concert this time around.  Sounds like a blast!
Got to see Blondie in 1990 with Tears for Fears @ Cow Palace - moooo!
Saw the B-52's with the Pretenders in 1998 (I think).  Weird combos, huh? 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »
7/7/10- Wednesday!! Wide Wide World of Foghead Variety from-1981!!

1.  Journey- Stone In Love
 2.  The Tubes- Talk To Ya Later
(Ad: Mr Microphone)
 3.  The Go Go's- Our Lips Are Sealed
(News: Charles & Di vows)
 4.  Hall & Oates- Kiss On My List
(News: SF Newspapers online!)
 5.  Steve Winwood- While you See a Chance
(News: Reagan fires air traffic controllers)
 6.  Rick Springfield- I've Done Everything For You
 7.  Psychedelic Furs- Pretty In Pink
(TV: Dukes of Hazzard)
 8.  Black Flag- TV Party (BOS!!)
(TV: SNL- Mr Robinson's Neighborhood)
 9.  Rick James- Give it To Me
10. Frankie Smith- Double Dutch Bus

as often happens, a rum beginning leads to a fab finish.  Dave would never have played "DDB" in a million years. Fo' shizzle!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 10:43:05 PM »

Friends invited me to that show, and for inexcusable reasons I didn't go.  I've regretted it ever since.

I always wanted to think they would sing each other's songs once in a while.  Just picture Fred Schneider shimmying his way through "I got BRASS ... in POCKET!  ... I'm SPECIAL!!!"

Anyway, BOS and probably best of week to the Diz-ubble Diz-utch.  I could dance to stuff like this forever.  Maybe I should request "Bounce Rock Skate Roll" next time in ('80?).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »

Friends invited me to that show, and for inexcusable reasons I didn't go.  I've regretted it ever since.

I always wanted to think they would sing each other's songs once in a while.  Just picture Fred Schneider shimmying his way through "I got BRASS ... in POCKET!  ... I'm SPECIAL!!!"

Anyway, BOS and probably best of week to the Diz-ubble Diz-utch.  I could dance to stuff like this forever.  Maybe I should request "Bounce Rock Skate Roll" next time in ('80?).
Ahhhh memories. I was at a roller rink in 81 and surely that played. If memory serves, it was on So. Van Ness. It was in SF. No real clear memory of where but Mission area is likely.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »
Listening to the whole set last nite I was struck by the all-over-the-place wonder of it all. And that segue from Reagan/air controllers to "I've Done Everything For You" was worthy of Dave Morey himself.

I will say that "DDB" is more annoyingly silly than anything else -- most people over 30 in 1981 just HATED it -- but major props for playing it anyway.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 07:39:54 AM »

KFOG plays "Don't Stand So Close To Me" almost everyday - I swear!

Ha -- here it is, at 7:40 on Thurs morning!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 08:09:31 AM »

Yeah!  It would've been cool if Fred jumped in during Middle of the Road and yelped, "I'm not the cat I used to be - I got a kid...I'm thirty-three ba-by!!!" 
Can't you just hear it?  Haha

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 08:23:58 AM »

Yeah!  It would've been cool if Fred jumped in during Middle of the Road and yelped, "I'm not the cat I used to be - I got a kid...I'm thirty-three ba-by!!!" 

the only "kid" Fred has is one of his teenage rentboys. ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »

Great, now you've got me imagining Fred singing the Pet Shop Boys: "Look at my HOPES!  Look at my DREAMS!  The CURRENCY WE'VE SPENT!  I love you, you pay my RENT!!!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »

Great, now you've got me imagining Fred singing the Pet Shop Boys: "Look at my HOPES!  Look at my DREAMS!  The CURRENCY WE'VE SPENT!  I love you, you pay my RENT!!!"

there's a monster in his rentboy's pants.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:04 AM »

there's a monster in his rentboy's pants.
(barely) Legal Tender:  "We're in the basement!" 

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »

Talk about regret - my buddy Lyle skipped going to the Sex Pistols show at the Winterland 'cos he thought he'd catch them the following year!  D'oh!