Author Topic: Tues 5/24/05 -- Bob Dylan's B-Day!  (Read 27969 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tues 5/24/05 -- Bob Dylan's B-Day!
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2005, 04:11:50 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

So I'll throw this out for discussion: what was your first boxed set? Mine was the Springsteen Live box that came out in time for Xmas 86, I think.

Mine was Clapton's Crossroads, and a year later I got the Allman's Dreams.  I didn't get Biograph until after that.   But I don't think the Bruce really counts, it was not primarily marketed as a CD collection, nor was it a career retrospective.

Here's what Allmusic has to say about it:

Crossroads not only revitalized Clapton's commercial standing, but it established the rock & roll multi-disc box set retrospective as a commercially viable proposition. Bob Dylan's Biograph was successful two years before the release of Crossroads, but Clapton's set was a bona fide blockbuster.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2005, 04:37:58 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I'll throw this out for discussion: what was your first boxed set? Mine was the Springsteen Live box that came out in time for Xmas 86, I think.

Mine too! (the vinyl version, of course)

Yep, vinyl here too. Didn't get a CD player for another year and a half.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: blow by blow part 3 (for Geoff)
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2005, 05:09:26 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "ggould"
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Silvio
Forever Young (the only song that has probably never appeared in a 10@10 before this)
That wild and wacky Dylan!  Two totally different versions of Forever Young on the same album!

And Dave's played "Forever Young" at least once before; it's on a 1974 set that Alicat recorded for me a year or two ago.  :)

By no small coincidence, I made this discovery last night as well, while going thru some cassettes of 10@10s I hadn't looked at for awhile. December 10, 2003 I think mine was--I'd completely forgotten (not surprising).
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2005, 08:54:47 PM »
So I'll throw this out for discussion: what was your first boxed set? Mine was the Springsteen Live box that came out in time for Xmas 86, I think.

On cassette: Paul Revere & the Raiders.

On CD: Marvin Gaye.

Weirdly, I hardly own any box sets.  Marvin, Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith (both of which I bought for research and barely play), Steely Dan, and Buddah Records are the only boxes I own.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2005, 11:08:34 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

But I don't think the Bruce really counts, it was not primarily marketed as a CD collection, nor was it a career retrospective.

Uhhh, it came in a box, and it's a set of four vinyl discs. I always assumed that made it a boxed set.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2005, 11:12:52 PM »
Not sure. I want to say Bruce too but I'm sure my Bruce was a set of cassettes. My vinyl is boxed up in the rafters in the garage. I keep thinking about getting it down to go through but never seem to get to it.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2005, 08:37:44 AM »
Ali, I can make you a copy of Biograph & Blood On The Tracks.

Hey, wasn't Biograph the first major retrospective boxed set? They seem so common now, but at the time I remember thinking, wow, only a big fan is going to feel like they have to have that. Little did I know how many Big Fans there were out there.

Hmmm, does Neil Young's "Decade" count?  If so, then that would be it, a 3 record set on vinyl.

Otherwise, either the Allman Bros Dreams or Clapton Crossroads on Cassette.  Can't remember which came first.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2005, 08:41:51 AM »
Mine was Clapton's Crossroads, and a year later I got the Allman's Dreams.  

How do you remember this stuff?  Anything that I did more than a month or so in the past becomes all muddled and intermixed.  Do you keep a diary?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Mine was Clapton's Crossroads, and a year later I got the Allman's Dreams.  

How do you remember this stuff?  Anything that I did more than a month or so in the past becomes all muddled and intermixed.  Do you keep a diary?

No but I used to move around A LOT, so If I have a place-specific memory (and especially an apartment-specific memory) that usually narrows things down to less than a 12 month period.  So I know I had Clapton while still living in San Diego, but it only came out in 1988, and I had the Allmans in my first apartment in Santa Barbara, so that had to be 1989.

(between age 16 & 28 I never lived at any single address for as much as 12 months consecutively).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010