Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1078840 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3315 on: August 23, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »
Webster posted on FB yesterday looking for suggestions for the 6pm Friday Request Hour. Some woman asked for "Dream of the Blue Turtle"  by "Joe Satrioni". I wonder which song she actually got, if any.

The real dream of the flying blue turtles is that both Sting and Satrioni retire.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 25, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
damn, this Train song ("Angel in BlueJeans") is as shameless an attempt to sound like everything-else-that's-popular-on-the-radio as I've ever heard.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
Not strictly KFOG but I can't think where else to put this:

The crappy state of radio in the Portland area has turned me into a button-pusher when I'm in the car; a song I don't want to hear comes on (or a string of ads) and boom! I'm off to another station. Classic rock, alternative, jazz, NPR, oldies, I've got em all programmed.

So yesterday, I am listening to a classic rock station from Corvallis and Henley's Boys of Summer comes on. I listen for a few and decide I've heard enough of this lately, so off I go to a different classic rock station in Portland. I forget what song was on, but it ends a few minutes later and the next song is....Boys of Summer. Thankfully I was almost home, so didn't have to hear too much of it.

So this morning I sit down at my deskt to start work, fire up the KFOG player, and the song that's playing is....yep, Boys of Summer.  I hope this isn't an omen for the Dodgers.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
Not strictly KFOG but I can't think where else to put this:

The crappy state of radio in the Portland area has turned me into a button-pusher when I'm in the car; a song I don't want to hear comes on (or a string of ads) and boom! I'm off to another station. Classic rock, alternative, jazz, NPR, oldies, I've got em all programmed.

So yesterday, I am listening to a classic rock station from Corvallis and Henley's Boys of Summer comes on. I listen for a few and decide I've heard enough of this lately, so off I go to a different classic rock station in Portland. I forget what song was on, but it ends a few minutes later and the next song is....Boys of Summer. Thankfully I was almost home, so didn't have to hear too much of it.

So this morning I sit down at my deskt to start work, fire up the KFOG player, and the song that's playing is....yep, Boys of Summer.  I hope this isn't an omen for the Dodgers.

so many stations use the same consultants and the same lists of songs that "test well" that sadly, this is inevitable. 

I remember when I first figured this out: late '80s, one day I was driving around eastern Lawn Guyland, tuning around the dial, and was listening to a rock station from Connecticut; they played Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" which was around 5 years old at the time; I hadn't heard it in a while... but in the course of the afternoon I heard it on 2 other stations! It was one of those "Aha!" moments.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: September 12, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
eek. 2nd time this morning for this insipid Lana Del Rey tune. Whatever song they play shortly before six comes up again right before 10, it seems.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: September 12, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
So what's with the robo-back-announce on KFOG for most of the songs? Are they trying to convince us that robots are running the show? This seems like a (possibly very) bad thing. Or is it supposed to evoke some kind of youthful Live105 feeling?

It hardly matters since I rarely listen to KFOG outside of 10at10, but there's a pledge drive on, so KQED is hard to listen to.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: September 12, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
So what's with the robo-back-announce on KFOG for most of the songs? Are they trying to convince us that robots are running the show? This seems like a (possibly very) bad thing. Or is it supposed to evoke some kind of youthful Live105 feeling?

It hardly matters since I rarely listen to KFOG outside of 10at10, but there's a pledge drive on, so KQED is hard to listen to.

It is indeed an idea they stole from Live 105, who did it for years (not sure if they still do). It's only done after current or new(ish) songs, and i assume it's to make record labels happy. (and coincidentally helps those to whom a song is new and who aren't logged on to a computer).

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: September 13, 2014, 06:23:56 AM »

It is indeed an idea they stole from Live 105, who did it for years (not sure if they still do). It's only done after current or new(ish) songs, and i assume it's to make record labels happy. (and coincidentally helps those to whom a song is new and who aren't logged on to a computer).

While I would prefer a more friendly voice, I actually appreciate the backsell. Saves me from having to look it up myself. Give the powers that be a point for this one.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3323 on: September 13, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »

While I would prefer a more friendly voice, I actually appreciate the backsell. Saves me from having to look it up myself. Give the powers that be a point for this one.
It's basically a form of customer service, like Amazon sending you tracking info after you place an order.  As someone who used to run a mail-order store, once UPS emailed my customers their tracking numbers, the "where's my stuff?" emails and phone calls stopped.  Presumably, the back sell keeps people from angrily calling KFOG everyday at 6:15 to ask "What the hell is this awful song about church?"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: September 18, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
I'm all for supporting our vets and such, but having that "no soldier left behind" clip that comes on indefinite auto-repeat on the stream after the set the last couple of days has me ready to slit my wrists.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: September 18, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm all for supporting our vets and such, but having that "no soldier left behind" clip that comes on indefinite auto-repeat on the stream after the set the last couple of days has me ready to slit my wrists.

They're also running (over-the air, and I think overnites only) a spot for some Jeezus website -- iamsecond.com, apparently meaning our concerns are second to what God wants  -- featuring Clayton Kershaw talking about how he's put his life in God's hands. Jeebus.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
Been hearing Alabama Shakes' "Hold On" a lot lately -- interesting, since that St Paul & the Broken Bones tune they've been flogging sounds exactly like da Shakes (and SP&tBBs male lead singer sounds just like Britney what's-her-name)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 25, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Well this was a surprise: Roland West of back-in-the-day Live 105 fame, is sitting in for AL this week while she's on vacay.

He's on now.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: September 25, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
Well this was a surprise: Roland West of back-in-the-day Live 105 fame, is sitting in for AL this week while she's on vacay.

He's on now.

I'm wondering if maybe he's a contender to join the morning show.  Been a couple months since that ran that ad in the trades. Don't know what his social media skills are like -- that was supposed to be a major qualification.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: October 06, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
Renee (back from vacay) was supposed to announce this years Koncert 4 Kidz artists at 8am. Didn't hear it. Supposedly more than one show this year.