Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1095656 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3270 on: July 11, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
At 9:50 on Friday, July 11, let history record that Renee played Ian Hunter's Cleveland Rocks, a song better known to the masses as the theme to the Drew Carey Show.  I honestly don't think this has been played on KFOG outside of 10@10 since about 1983.

ETA:
2) they just played "Cleveland Rocks" for LeBron. Heh.

Oh, *that's* why they did that.

yeah. cue "Goin' Back" by Nils L, The Byrds, Dutsy Springfield, or Carole King.

I I don't think the Rockwell/Renee thing was random -- they really sounded good together and I think it was a tryout for something permanent.

Yeah, I agree -- they sounded much better in tandem than Renee and her pal Mud/whatever who is barely there. If the pairing of Rockwell with Renee works out, we might want to start calling her "Wally Pipp." (See 3rd graf here for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Pipp)

For just a second, when I first heard Rockwell's voice I thought it was Greg Gory returned from LA and cringed visibly. So glad to be wrong on that one.

I will be sure to tune into that next week (if it’s still going on)...I could see that working quite well.  I was never previously a fan of her but I actually like the Renee morning show.  Plus, “Renee & Rockwell” has a nice ring to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: July 11, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
Just looked back at the KFOG Tunegenie playlist and saw this entry for the Run DMC song in today's set:

Walk This Way (To the Crack)
Rum LSD

WTF?!?
There's a racist (or troll) hacker on the loose.

apparently there is such a track, tho' not by Rum LSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAfkge_ZIJo
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
I will be sure to tune into that next week (if it’s still going on)...I could see that working quite well.  I was never previously a fan of her but I actually like the Renee morning show.  Plus, “Renee & Rockwell” has a nice ring to it.

he will be back Monday, she said, since "Mud" is still visiting family "in the desert" or something.   And I agree, much as I soured on RR in her 10@10 tenure, she sounds decent in the morning.  The new PD might be onto something here.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: July 11, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »

he will be back Monday, she said, since "Mud" is still visiting family "in the desert" or something.   And I agree, much as I soured on RR in her 10@10 tenure, she sounds decent in the morning.  The new PD might be onto something here.

It's been mentioned before that if you have to have Renee, the Morning Show might be the most appropriate (she's nothing if not perky).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3274 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
Last nite around 6:30, I'm in the car, and KFOG is playing "Love Shack". This morning at 9:30, I'm in the shower, and KFOG is playing "Love Shack". Oy.
And right now, playing it again!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:32 AM »
Last nite around 6:30, I'm in the car, and KFOG is playing "Love Shack". This morning at 9:30, I'm in the shower, and KFOG is playing "Love Shack". Oy.

KFOG has been playing a lot of 70s and 80s hits incessantly.  I swear I hear Tears for Fears “Head Over Heels” almost every day.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

KFOG has been playing a lot of 70s and 80s hits incessantly.  I swear I hear Tears for Fears “Head Over Heels” almost every day.

Yes, absolutely.  Not unlike that period 7 years ago when we were hearing "Rocket Man" and "Sweet Home Ala-bummer" 27 times a week. Lots of '90s "classics" too

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: July 17, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
Rockwell was in for Renee -- he said it's "for a couple of days", so maybe she's just taking a long weekend.  Meanwhile, AL mentioned on FB that she's getting ready for a trip to Boston so I guess we'll be getting a week of "classics" soon.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: July 17, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
Rockwell was in for Renee -- he said it's "for a couple of days", so maybe she's just taking a long weekend.  Meanwhile, AL mentioned on FB that she's getting ready for a trip to Boston so I guess we'll be getting a week of "classics" soon.

I'm headin' that way myself tomorrow morning... maybe I'll see her!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: July 18, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
somewhat surprised to be hearing the Doors' "People are Strange" rather than the Echo/Bunnymen remake.  We don't get many '60s "classics" on KFOG these days.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »
Well this was a surprise: Roland West of back-in-the-day Live 105 fame, is sitting in for AL this week while she's on vacay.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: July 21, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
Well this was a surprise: Roland West of back-in-the-day Live 105 fame, is sitting in for AL this week while she's on vacay.

annndd... as posted in g-snipes: KFOG is apparently actively advertising in the trades for a morning person:

TripleARadio NEWS BRIEFS:
More changes on the way at KFOG (104.5/97.7) San Francisco-San Jose as the station is officially on the hunt for a new morning show. Off on vacation this week, KFOG MD Renee Richardson has been anchoring mornings since March. In a statement on the search, new KFOG/KSAN OM Jim Richards said, "A complete knowledge of the social space and proof that you're currently using it to your (and your station's) benefit is of high priority. If you can present a fun, upbeat show, please send a link of your demo – no attachments, no Dropbox - give me something to stream from any device." Email Cumulus with "KFOG Mornings" in the subject line.

ETA: scuttlebutt is that they're not looking to get rid of Renee; more likely they want to pair her with someone younger and more social-media-savvy.  Or perhaps move AL to mornings with the new person and return RR to middays (with AL still doing 10@10, one hopes)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:38:58 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Popping up in the latter part of the 9am hour: Outkast, Hey Ya.

Don't think I've ever heard this in their rotatio, save for the few times it's appeared on 10@10.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
Popping up in the latter part of the 9am hour: Outkast, Hey Ya.

Don't think I've ever heard this in their rotatio, save for the few times it's appeared on 10@10.

It's a nice "oh wow" song, but if they start playing it 27 times a week, a la "Drops of Jupiter" and others, then notsomuch.  It was a Live 105 staple when it was new, iirc.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: July 28, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
More songs I've heard multiple times in the past week: Sinead's "Nothing Compares 2U", the FF-in-perpetuity "I Melt with You", and ofcourse "Don't Dream It's Over".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:56:33 AM by RGMike »