Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1109307 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2005, 07:02:06 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Holy shit, I won!  I got tix to some show on Sat nite, and the local scene CD.  It hasn't even been announced yet.

The 3rd song was Zep, "the Lemon Song."

but the prize isn't a lemon!  congrats!

I gather "lemon" was the tie that connected all of them (Lemonheads, Oranges and Lemons, Lemon Song)? What does Xavier Rudd have to do with lemons?

There Are No Coincidences, Chapter CXI: I've been listening to the Technicolor Web of Sound station tonight, and an hour ago heard a song by the Purge called "The Mayor of Simpleton Hall"; I planned to post a query here about whether that's where XTC got the phrase, or if they have a common origin.

And weirdly, when I saw those first two songs, the lemon connection came instantly to mind.

Congrats on the win, Mark!  I'd offer to go, but I'm not a cheap date.   :P
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2005, 08:54:30 AM »
Hey Gang,  I am serious about needing a date for Saturday night, Christina has no interest in going & furthermore has had a lot more 'buddy time' of late than I have, so she wants me to hang out with my friends.  But for better or worse I don't have too many other friends that I can invite out for such an event than y'all.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2005, 10:06:07 AM »
I'll be doing improv for a buncha Coast Guard folks on Saturday night. Paid gig. Sorry, man.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2005, 09:31:08 AM »
hearing these "Local Scene" promos... the band Tea Leaf Green sounds just like the Dead; and Thriving Ivory are ringers for Train.  But hey they're LOCAL!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gaz at da Voice

KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2005, 09:48:48 AM »
Hey Gang,  I am serious about needing a date for Saturday night, Christina has no interest in going & furthermore has had a lot more 'buddy time' of late than I have, so she wants me to hang out with my friends.  But for better or worse I don't have too many other friends that I can invite out for such an event than y'all.

So how was the show?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2005, 10:02:39 AM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"

So how was the show?

Didn't go.  Went to a BBQ at my brother-in-law's instead.  Too last minute for everybody.  Got the Local Scene CD in the mail already, will pop it into the CD player tomorrow.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
When He Paints His Masterpiece
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2005, 09:48:20 AM »
This one's for Geoff--have you heard the commercial KFOG just started running for the Hard Rock Cafe and their exhibition of Jerry's art? There's a music bed behind it that certainly COULD be Jerry, but doesn't sound like any Dead song (or JGB for that matter) that I recognize. Can you place it?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: When He Paints His Masterpiece
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2005, 09:55:07 AM »
This one's for Geoff--have you heard the commercial KFOG just started running for the Hard Rock Cafe and their exhibition of Jerry's art? There's a music bed behind it that certainly COULD be Jerry, but doesn't sound like any Dead song (or JGB for that matter) that I recognize. Can you place it?

It's Phish jamming with Tea Leaf Green :lol:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2005, 10:56:20 AM »

I was wondering the same thing.  But there's so much Jerry, and I assume they'd only use Jerry solo music, as Jerry and the Dead are not allowed to work together anymore.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2005, 10:59:49 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Jerry and the Dead are not allowed to work together anymore.

Here's an example.  This sticker cannot be sold anymore because the Bears are GD icons, and as such cannot  work with Jerry anymore:

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2005, 11:00:39 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
But there's so much Jerry, and I assume they'd only use Jerry solo music, as Jerry and the Dead are not allowed to work together anymore.

Huh? (Outside of the fact that Jerry's dead, that is.) Can you elaborate? (I have a suspicion this has something to do with the Widow Garcia and her management of the estate. Grrrr.)

Nice avatar, btw.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
the Widow Garcia

Which one?  I never had that drama sorted out in my head.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
the Widow Garcia

The former Ms. Deborah Koons. The one he was married to at the time he died. The gold digger.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2005, 08:56:49 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
the Widow Garcia

The former Ms. Deborah Koons. The one he was married to at the time he died. The gold digger.

more dish please,  I am woefully ignorant on this topic.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2005, 09:50:05 AM »
Alas my memory is spotty on the specifics of the machinations of Mrs. Garcia-Koons in the wake of her husband's death. I do remember something about her trying to cut Jerry's ex (Carolyn aka Mountain Girl) and his daughters out of the will. I'm pretty sure there were some other misdeeds as well, but not recalling the specifics at the moment. I imagine Geoff could fill in some on this, but given his affiliation with the GD community, I would not blame him at all if he preferred not to do so.

Sounded really great on the Morning show at 9:45, preset: Gimme Shelter, with the fabulous Merry Clayton on backing vocals. Anyone have any memory of her solo take on that song? A friend swears it exists, but I haven't heard it in decades, if ever.
Let's get right to it.