Author Topic: 5 Oct 2009: 1969!!  (Read 4993 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Oct 2009: 1969!!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
If this were one of Dave's sets, I Can Hear Music would be wrapping things up, oh so tastefully. But AL is not so predictable, and I've lost count.

Wait! Another of DM's patented set closers! Miss Ross & the Supremes, Someday We'll Be Together.

Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
and "These Eyes" becomes another potential AL-trina -- didn't she just play this in a '60s VT a couple weeks ago?

I think you're correct, but I'm on a Guess Who kick lately so this gets BOS.

Saw them at the San Mateo County fair in August... not the same band, of course the bass and drummer are all that remain from the original.... they should be calling themselves "Guess Who We're Supposed To Be?"

Did their singer bear any resemblance to Burton Cummings, vocally?

It was passable, you really missed Burton's unique texture at some points, but the singer did ok.   He also played guitar.  The lead guitarist got sick mid-set, had to leave the stage for spell .. prob to heave.  But came back and finished the show sitting on stool.  it was fun, but it was like hearing a cover band.  it's amazing how many hits they had...
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
and "These Eyes" becomes another potential AL-trina -- didn't she just play this in a '60s VT a couple weeks ago?

I think you're correct, but I'm on a Guess Who kick lately so this gets BOS.

Saw them at the San Mateo County fair in August... not the same band, of course the bass and drummer are all that remain from the original.... they should be calling themselves "Guess Who We're Supposed To Be?"

Did their singer bear any resemblance to Burton Cummings, vocally?

It was passable, you really missed Burton's unique texture at some points, but the singer did ok.   He also played guitar.  The lead guitarist got sick mid-set, had to leave the stage for spell .. prob to heave.  But came back and finished the show sitting on stool.  it was fun, but it was like hearing a cover band.  it's amazing how many hits they had...

Know what you mean. I saw a band calling itself Badfinger a number of years ago. Only original member was Joey Molland, and he sang most of their songs. They were OK, but not transcendent. But at least no one barfed. :)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
If this were one of Dave's sets, I Can Hear Music would be wrapping things up, oh so tastefully. But AL is not so predictable, and I've lost count.

Wait! Another of DM's patented set closers! Miss Ross & the Supremes, Someday We'll Be Together.

This really coulda been a Friday Morning with Dave 5 or 6 years ago -- the only thing missing was "Na-Na, Hey-Hey", Spiral Starecase and Mrs Agnew talking about Moratorium Day.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 11:27:28 AM »
Bonus track was Jethro Tull's Bourée -- another BOS, standing on one leg and playing flute with crazy eyes -- Let's hear it for Codpiece Rock!

~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
Just because it's an old year doesn't mean I'll like it. This looks extremely cool!  There's very little that doesn't tickle me in a good way!  Perhaps I would've gotten teary at #10, thinking of Dave!

10/05/09 - Monday...A bit of time in...1969!!
   1.  Allman Brothers - Dreams
   2.  Neil Young - Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
   3.  Tony Joe White - Polk Salad Annie
(News:  Teddy Kennedy)
   4.  The Guess Who - These Eyes
   5.  Thunderclap Newman - Something in the Air
(News montage)
   6.  Youngbloods - Get Together
   7.  Badfinger - Come & Get it (BOS)
   8.  Young-Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut
   9.  Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music
 10.  Diana Ross & the Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together
BONUS TRACK:  Jethro Tull - Bouree
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »
There's something in the air. Smells kinda like skunk.
I love this track, and was just thinking about it this morning when I heard Tom Petty's version of "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star."  What's the point?  Then I thought of how KFOG would play Petty's version of "Something In The Air," which is also pointless!  This is so superior to Petty, plus it has Pete Townsend on bass!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:29 PM »
re: Get Together

I was thinking, WTF!  This is not 1969.  Out here it was 67.  I was doing some wikipedia surfing, and I guess it was re-released in 1969, and nationally became a bigger hit.  This really illustrates how out of sync radio was at the time compared to KMPX/KSAN.