Author Topic: Wednesday, January 26th, it's 1973  (Read 36559 times)

Anonymous

Re: Gonna try
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2005, 10:31:27 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

Btw, POC, you asked for the 68 set from a couple fridays ago? Sorry to say, there's static all over the tape so it's unlistenable from about SH6 on. Sorry.

Will try to avoid such things tonite.

it's ok - i completely forgot about it until just now. :) how do you make cds from cassettes, though?

Not cassettes, at least not analog. I record the set on DAT, usually during the evening repeat, and then burn from the DAT onto CD.

As for recording analog cassettes to CD, either get a DAT recorder like the one I have, plug your cassette deck into it to burn your discs:

http://www.mediasupply.com/cdr830.html

Or to do it via your computer, follow the instructions on this page, and whenever it says "turntable" insert the words "cassette deck":

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5127168-1.html

So, with the software, I can plug my stereo w/cassette deck into my computer and dump audio into files then burn to CD? Is it as easy as it sounds?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Urth didja make a copy?
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2005, 09:14:11 AM »
if you made a recording of the set, I would also love to have a copy.

It's still January, but this was certainly the best Set of 2005, and will be hard to knock from that position.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2005, 09:39:30 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Not cassettes, at least not analog. I record the set on DAT, usually during the evening repeat, and then burn from the DAT onto CD.

As for recording analog cassettes to CD, either get a DAT recorder like the one I have, plug your cassette deck into it to burn your discs:

Or to do it via your computer, follow the instructions on this page, and whenever it says "turntable" insert the words "cassette deck":

So, with the software, I can plug my stereo w/cassette deck into my computer and dump audio into files then burn to CD? Is it as easy as it sounds?

OK, so is "anonymous" Alicat or POC? Or an as-yet-unnamed lurker?

I can't say for certain as I've never done it, but it should be fairly simple. Like most things tech, there's probably a learning curve but nothing ventured.... Let us know how it goes, OK? Thanks.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2005, 09:49:31 AM »

Not the princess, she doesn't capitalize.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2005, 09:57:17 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Not the princess, she doesn't capitalize.

very good, jb fletcher!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Wednesday, January 26th, it's 1973
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »
NEW BOS!!!

Give it to ME!!!

Listening again today!  Thanks URTH!!  Arrived yesterday...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wednesday, January 26th, it's 1973
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2005, 03:26:41 PM »
NEW BOS!!!

Give it to ME!!!

Listening again today!  Thanks URTH!!  Arrived yesterday...

Yay!-The postal service comes thru again!

You're quite welcome. I'm slow, but I come thru eventually (kinda like the postal service.<g>)
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2005, 03:32:46 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

I can't say for certain as I've never done it, but it should be fairly simple. Like most things tech, there's probably a learning curve but nothing ventured.... Let us know how it goes, OK? Thanks.

I'd forgotten about this thread, but Rod just so happened to bring it back to mind with his above post on the same page.

It so happens that Sarah & I took the plunge and tried this process over the weekend to digitize some old air-checks she had from her college radio days that were on cheap cassettes that were starting to degrade.

And if you have a PC, it is as easy as it sounds. Follow the directions, install the software, plug your cassette deck into your computer and away you go. The first time took us a couple hours but a lot of that was playing with the software figuring out what did what. But the click removal and hiss removal worked as advertised, so we're quite happy. Will try it again later on some of the cassette-ified gems from the 10@10 archive.
Let's get right to it.