Author Topic: 10 Aug 2009: it's... 1964!!  (Read 10350 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Aug 2009: it's... 1964!!
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »
First song after wonderful 64 set is that "closer to love" song they keep playing, as some sort of "don't get your hopes up, come back to reality" statement of the state of current music.  It's like when they used to follow the psychedelic supper with Rock the Casbah!

That song is another classic example of why Triple-A radio sucks."Let's throw Jason Mraz and Coldplay in a blender". great mondegreen tho' -- "We're all one phone call from our needs", which many hear as "...from our KNEES". LOL!
I thought it was "knees."  That was the only redeeming feature of the song!

oops... apparently it *is* "knees" -- there was an ongoing discussion in the YouTube comments section that I misread.  [Emily Litella voice]Never mind![/Emily Litella voice]

Kearney and Jason Mrazzzzz apparently share a hat collection...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:31:38 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
8/10/09 - Monday...Cruisin' into...1964!!!

1.  Rolling Stones - Time is On My Side
(News:  LBJ)
   2.  Drifters - Under the Boardwalk
   3.  The Shangri Las - Remember (Walking in the Sand)
   4.  Beach Boys - All Summer Long
(TV:  Dr. Kildaire)
   5.  Ventures - Walk Don't Run
   6.  The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
(News:  Olympics/Japan)
   7.  Them - Gloria
   8.  Johnny Rivers - Memphis
(Movie:  Goldfinger)
   9.  Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger
  10.  Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand

BONUS TRACK (Mike in Cupertino) - Kinks - You Really Got Me

Big Rick promo-ed the replay last nite by saying it was "all garage-rock-y". Yeah, that Shirley Bassey -- she's the queen of grunge!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »
While I don't share the hate that Coldplay and Jason Mraz inspire, I have to agree that the Matt Kearny tune is drab, even by AAA standards. Personally it's reaching the Kenny Wayne Shepard level of annoyingness.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
While I don't share the hate that Coldplay and Jason Mraz inspire, I have to agree that the Matt Kearny tune is drab, even by AAA standards. Personally it's reaching the Kenny Wayne Shepard level of annoyingness.

I think I'm turning the corner on Jazn Mrz.  I heard I'm Yours last night and actually didn't mind it, didn't change the station and let it play all the way through.  And I like a few Coldplay songs, like God Put A Smile Upon Your Face and Clocks, even though they might be derivative of this or that. (GPASUYF uses the riff from Roxy Music's Out Of The Blue , f'instance.)

ah, pop music.. can't we all just get along?  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:11:33 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:03 PM »
I think I'm turning the corner on Jazn Mrz.  I heard I'm Yours last night and actually didn't mind it, didn't change the station and let it play all the way through. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Fight it, Tink! Fight it with all your strength! Don't become one of.... THEM!! :o

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »

I actually like the Matt Kearney song but I agree it's starting to get annoying.  They don't need to play it that much, maybe once a day is ok.

Coldplay - I really tried to hate them.  It wasn't hard at first because they kept on releasing extremely annoying songs (i.e. Yellow, In My Place) while the non-annoying ones (Trouble, Shiver) were rather forgettable.  But these days they keep on coming out with very tolerable songs...I've found myself keeping on the radio during Speed of Sound, Life in Technicolor II, The Scientist, and the acoustic version of Lost.  Clocks is good but I'm burned out on it.

Jason Mraz on the other hand - I was cool with him during "The Remedy" (which wasn't perfect, but likeable enough) & "You & I Both."  Then he ruined me with "Curbside Prophet" ("what's up with M-R-A-Z?"  Are you serious?) and hasn't redeemed himself since.