Author Topic: 6 Aug 2009: it's... 1974!  (Read 6372 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Aug 2009: it's... 1974!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 10:45:20 AM »
Heard the whole set in the car, called in a vote for IWTSTBLT, and told Annalisa that Iwas sure all my friends liked it too, so she said she'd put me down for 3 BOS votes, which I'm sure if urth & Gaz had been here we'd have gotten. 

Also major kudos on the Leonard Cohen & the Queen bustouts, neither of which I have ever heard on the radio, though I have the Queen album & an old roommate had the Cohen one.  The Cohen tune didn't grab me at first, but I was getting into it by the end.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:08:13 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
8/6/09 - Thursday!  Time in the '70's...1974!!!
   1.  Todd Rundgren - A Dream Goes On Forever
   2.  The Doobie Brothers - Another Park, Another Sunday
(News:  Gerald Ford)
   3.  Linda & Richard Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
   4.  Wet Willie - Keep On Smilin'
   5.  Neil Young - Walk On
   6.  Leonard Cohen - Lover, Lover, Lover
(News:  Patty Hearst tape)
   7.  Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
   8.  Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
   9.  Roxy Music - Out of the Blue (BEST OF SET!!)
  10.  Queen - Stone Cold Crazy
BONUS TRACK (Sarh from SF):  Jimmy Buffett - A Pirate Looks at 40

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Heard the whole set in the car, called in a vote for IWTSTBLT, and told Annalisa that Iwas sure all my friends liked it too, so she said she'd put me down for 3 BOS votes, which I'm sure if urth & Gaz had been here we'd have gotten. 

Definitely would have gotten mine, and that's no small thing in this set. The Queen song with its almost punkish energy would have been a strong contender, too, along with the Todd and Roxy tunes that we've heard before in the Dave era.  What a day to have to be out of town. Oh well.

Tink, Richard and Linda were married for much of the 70s after he left Fairport Convention, but only really achieved any acclaim for their last album together, Shoot Out The Lights, which was recorded as their marriage was falling apart. I cannot recommend this album strongly enough--truly a masterpiece.  Pour Down Like Silver and IWTSTBLT are also great records, but the best intro to their work together is SOTL.
Let's get right to it.