Author Topic: 16 July 2009: a set o' mystery (sounds like... 1997!)  (Read 13653 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: 16 July 2009: a set o' mystery (sounds like... 1997!)
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
AL sez BOS to Fiona.  Really, you don't remember the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTpvjNn2BUM

(Embedding yet?)

Calvin Klein ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZVk21Pco-c

Wow, that's bad.  But I only remember the print ads, guess the commercials got pulled right quick.

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/educational/handouts/ethics/calvin_klein_case_study.cfm

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »

...I guess I wasn't listening that closely in 1997.  Was that when Diana died?

One of the clearest memories I have of '97.  It was Sunday morning of Labor Day Wknd, and we'd gotten up at 5am to make a day trip up into the Sierra above Yosemite.  Flipped on the tube & saw the news.  Heard more news while driving out.  Hit the trailhead & started on our 3 mile hike to meet up with my cousin who was camping out up there for the 3-day weekend.  Part way up the trail bumped into a couple heading down & we all stopped to chat for a bit.  From their accents it became clear that they were Brits, so I asked them if they'd heard about Diana.  Of course they hadn't, up there in the mountains, & they were pretty shaken up about it.

But I always think of them, because whenever anyone around them talks about where they were when they heard the news, they will say, "we were on a trail in the mountains in California & some Yank told us."

I was up at Camp Mather, at the Strawberry Music Festival. Word spread pretty quickly that morning through the camp that she'd been in an accident, but no confirmation of her death. By noon that had changed.

I was at home Sat nite, listening to Sully Roddy's late lamented alt-country show on KNEW. She NEVER did news during her show, but she interrupted the music to do a bulletin. But Di was officially being reported as dead before midnite Sat nite, as I recall.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
Yecch, this set reminded me of Dave-type 90s sets. :(  No BOS's, but HM's to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and John Hiatt.

WOS to Squirrel Nut Zippers.  I HATE that song!  >:(  (Although, it wasn't nearly as bad as that Cherry Poppin' Daddies song that was released slightly later...)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »
Yecch, this set reminded me of Dave-type 90s sets. :(  No BOS's, but HM's to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and John Hiatt.

WOS to Squirrel Nut Zippers.  I HATE that song!  >:(  (Although, it wasn't nearly as bad as that Cherry Poppin' Daddies song that was released slightly later...)

wow -- interesting. We (as a group) tended to dislike Dave's '90s sets: too much KFOG playlist fodder and not enuf outside-the-box stuff.  But this set was not that at all, to my ears. Nearly 2/3 of it was Live 105 songs that KFOG completely ignored in '97.

As I stated earlier, '97 is by far my favorite year of that decade; and Dave only did one or two 1997 sets (and he did, to his credit, play Hanson's "MMMMBop" in one of 'em). It's a rare '90s set that elicits multiple BOS's from me; hope AL can keep it up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:21:50 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »
7/16/09 - Thursday!  The year....it's a Mystery!  (answer at end)
   1.  Sarah McLachlan - Building a Mystery
   2.  Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell
(KTVU News with Dennis Richmond & Elaine Corral)
   3.  The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get
   4.  Big Head Todd & the Monsters with John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom
(Movie:  Wag the Dog)
   5.  Mark Knopfler - Wag the Dog
   6.  John Hiatt - Little Head
   7.  Blur - Song 2
   8.  Huffamoose - Wait
(News:  Princess Di)
   9.  Fiona Apple - Criminal
 10.  Foo Fighters - Ever Long
(Did you guess the year???  1997!!!)
BONUS TRACK (Geri in SF):  Blues Traveler - Most Precarious
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:00:53 AM by RGMike »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, I count 4 out of 10 that were actually played by KFOG (Mclachlan, Knopfler, Hiatt, Huffamoose) and the rest (except BHT w/Hooker) are Live 105 gems. And that's a *good* thing.

Shame about the lame-ass SnoozeTraveler Bonus, tho'.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »

wow -- interesting. We (as a group) tended to dislike Dave's '90s sets: too much KFOG playlist fodder and not enuf outside-the-box stuff.  But this set was not that at all, to my ears. Nearly 2/3 of it was Live 105 songs that KFOG completely ignored in '97.

As I stated earlier, '97 is by far my favorite year of that decade; and Dave only did one or two 1997 sets (and he did, to his credit, play Hanson's "MMMMBop" in one of 'em). It's a rare '90s set that elicits multiple BOS's from me; hope AL can keep it up.

I think what made this one (and Dave's 90s sets) a snoozer for me wasn't necessarily that it had too much old KFOG playlist stuff but that it was full of Hot AC recurrents - Sarah McLachlan, Mighty Mighty Bosstones (great song, but still Hot AC these days), Blur, Fiona Apple, and the Foo Fighters.  I hear those daily on Alice or Star.  (Funny though, speaking of MMMBop I actually heard that today on Alice for the first time in years!) I actually like the old KFOG staples because I had not discovered Triple A radio in 97 and by the time I did most stations had stopped playing those -- for instance I had never heard Huffamoose or the Big Head Todd version of Boom Boom & only heard that Knopfler tune once. 

There is quite a bit of overlap between recurrents that are played on Hot AC nowadays and songs that were hits on Alternative and AAA stations back then.  Dave's 90s sets had too much AAA/Hot AC overlap (i.e. Wallflowers) whereas Annalisa's previous 90s sets played Alternative hits with little to no overlap. (99, 90, & 94 were great!)  But today's set had quite a bit of Alt/Hot AC overlap so that explains why I found it boring as hell.

Plus, that Sarah McLachlan song is IMO one of her blandest and most overplayed, not to mention an even more lethargic TOTHC than 99.9 F was a few days ago -- I thought "Sweet Surrender" would have been much better.

But, despite my hate for "Hell," I have to give her credit for it because it did make me stop and go, "ah, I remember that one!"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:55:10 PM by radical347 »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 03:06:16 PM »
   1.  Sarah McLachlan - Building a Mystery
   2.  Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell
(KTVU News with Dennis Richmond & Elaine Corral)
   3.  The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get
   4.  Big Head Todd & the Monsters with John Lee Hooker -
                                                      Boom Boom
(Movie:  Wag the Dog)
   5.  Mark Knopfler - Wag the Dog
   6.  John Hiatt - Little Head
   7.  Blur - Song 2
   8.  Huffamoose - Wait
(News:  Princess Di)
   9.  Fiona Apple - Criminal
 10.  Foo Fighters - Ever Long
(Did you guess the year???  1997!!!)
BONUS TRACK (Geri in SF):  Blues Traveler - Most Precarious

I wasn't really into this set, which is one reason why I didn't mind cruising over for chunks of The Sound's '66 set.

~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »
I wasn't really into this set, which is one reason why I didn't mind cruising over for chunks of The Sound's '66 set.
oooh!  '66!  Sounds full of possibilities.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
BOS tie for Foo Fighters and Fiona Apple.

If Cornershop ever come up, they'll automatically win my vote. Not just "Brimful Of Asha", but also "Good Shit", "Funky Days Are Back Again" and "Good To Be Back On The Road Back Home".

And of course, for whenever 2002 comes around, "Lessons Learned From Rocky I to Rocky III".

I can't help but notice that Annalisa has given Blur more than their share of representation. And that's good.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »
Well, she kinda had to play "Building a Mystery" to match the theme, right?