Author Topic: Billboard charts: facts, trivia, RFIs  (Read 19142 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Billboard charts: facts, trivia, RFIs
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
A new thread, for chart geeks like me.

I forget which thread it was posted on, but I was guessing which songs had held the record for most weeks on the Hot 100 chart.  I knew LeAnn Rimes' "How Do I Live" was at or near the top.

Anyway, Billboard posted the answer to this last week, so I thought I'd repost. Mike, I'm sorry to inform you that Mraz *rebounds* this week from 27 to 23 with "I'm Yours" in its 54th week.  Since it's in the midst of a long reign atop the AC chart, it might get close to the record.

69, "How Do I Live," LeAnn Rimes, 1997
65, "Foolish Games/You Were Meant for Me," Jewel, 1997
64, "Before He Cheats," LeAnn Rimes, 2007
62, "You and Me," Lifehouse, 2005
60, "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)," Los Del Rio, 1996
58, "Smooth," Santana featuring Rob Thomas, 1999
58, "How to Save a Life," The Fray, 2006
57, "Higher," Creed, 2000
56, "I Don't Want to Wait," Paula Cole, 1998
56, "The Way You Love Me," Faith Hill, 2001
55, "Missing," Everything But the Girl, 1996
55, "Barely Breathing," Duncan Sheik, 1997
55, "Amazed," Lonestar, 2000
54, "Hanging By a Moment," Lifehouse, 2001
54, "Unwell," Matchbox Twenty, 2003
54, "I'm Yours," Jason Mraz, 2008-09 (current)
53, "Too Close," Next, 1998
53, "Breathe," Faith Hill, 2000
53, "Kryptonite," 3 Doors Down, 2000
53, "Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)," Train, 2001
52, "Truly Madly Deeply," Savage Garden, 1998
52, "How's It Going to Be," Third Eye Blind, 1998
51, "Here Without You," 3 Doors Down, 2003
51, "What Hurts the Most," Rascal Flatts, 2006
50, "Viva La Vida," Coldplay, 2008-09 (current)
50, "Someday," Nickelback, 2004
50, "Paralyzer," Finger Eleven, 2008
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Billboard charts: facts, trivia, RFIs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
. Mike, I'm sorry to inform you that Mraz *rebounds* this week from 27 to 23 with "I'm Yours" in its 54th week.  Since it's in the midst of a long reign atop the AC chart, it might get close to the record.

ooooh! he's so DREAMY when he wears that hat!

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
Hey Gaz, what happened to Mraz since then?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »
Here's a Chart Geek quiz:

I'm sure some of you know who has the record for most #2's without a #1, but for those who don't, it's the Pride of El Cerrito - Creedence Clearwater Revival.  They won the Maxwell Smart Missed-It-By-That-Much Award an astonishing SEVEN times in less than 3 years, including 4 times on one album (of course they released no less than 6 albums over that span from 68-70).

Below are 18 CCR tunes.  The seven #2's are all on the list, as are the five tunes that charted outside the top 10, and six more that didn't chart at all.  Can you guess which are which?
(if you think a tune or two is missing, I dropped the 5 songs that charted in the 3-10 range to make it a little easier to differentiate)

Bad Moon Rising
Born On The Bayou
Commotion
Fortunate Son
Good Golly Miss Molly
Green River
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
I Put A Spell On You
Keep On Chooglin'
Lodi
Long As I Can See The Light
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Midnight Special
Proud Mary
Suzie Q
Travelin Band
Who'll Stop The Rain
Wrote A Song For Everyone
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:13:48 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »

Mraz inconceivably rebounds yet again this week, from 32 to 29, in his 66th week on the chart.  Since he's still getting strong AC airplay and the digital single is still selling, he looks almost a lock to beat the Leann Rimes record.  I'm floored.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
Below are 18 CCR tunes.  The seven #2's are all on the list, as are the five tunes that charted outside the top 10, and six more that didn't chart at all.  Can you guess which are which?

I swear I didn't look at Whitburn. But... are you counting double-sided hits individually? 'Cause I coulda sworn "Down on the Corner" (not on your list) was a #2 (with "Fortunate Son" as its B-side), and aren't "Green River" and "Lodi" 2 sides of one single as well?  "Commotion" was the B of "Back Door", no?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »

I swear I didn't look at Whitburn. But... are you counting double-sided hits individually? 'Cause I coulda sworn "Down on the Corner" (not on your list) was a #2 (with "Fortunate Son" as its B-side), and aren't "Green River" and "Lodi" 2 sides of one single as well?  "Commotion" was the B of "Back Door", no?

I was just going with what it says on AMG in the Billboard chart section for CCR.  It appears they do count both songs on a double-sided #2 separately. 

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »

Mraz inconceivably rebounds yet again this week, from 32 to 29, in his 66th week on the chart.  Since he's still getting strong AC airplay and the digital single is still selling, he looks almost a lock to beat the Leann Rimes record.  I'm floored.

In Mraz's 69th week on the chart - tying the LeAnn Rimes "How Do I Live" record - "I'm Yours" somehow gets its bullet back again, rebounding from 35 all the way to 23!  So even though everyone hates Mraz, he's now got the longest-running hit in chart history.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »

In Mraz's 69th week on the chart - tying the LeAnn Rimes "How Do I Live" record - "I'm Yours" somehow gets its bullet back again, rebounding from 35 all the way to 23!  So even though everyone hates Mraz, he's now got the longest-running hit in chart history.

it's clearly a sign of the apocalyse.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »

it's clearly a sign of the apocalyse.

dude, he's mine!
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »
It's looking like the last week for Mraz-watch: he falls out of the 40 this week, 38-49, in his 75th chart week with "I'm Yours."  Shattered every chart longevity record.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »
It's looking like the last week for Mraz-watch: he falls out of the 40 this week, 38-49, in his 75th chart week with "I'm Yours."  Shattered every chart longevity record.

I'm curious how the number of actual units sold compares with those of the acts whose records he broke. Any idea?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

I'm curious how the number of actual units sold compares with those of the acts whose records he broke. Any idea?

"I'm Yours" has gone triple platinum, so it's sold 3 million singles - almost entirely digital, I'm sure.  "How Do I Live" is probably in the same realm.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »

"I'm Yours" has gone triple platinum, so it's sold 3 million singles - almost entirely digital, I'm sure.  "How Do I Live" is probably in the same realm.

pretty impressive.  those hats he wears have magical powers! 
~CPL593H~