Author Topic: The Sound (LA), 4/1/09 - April Fool's Day theme  (Read 14573 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound (LA), 4/1/09 - April Fool's Day theme
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
Liz and Dick and Britt and Liza!, Jaclyn, Kate & Farrah.

Meg and Rodney, John Travolta, Governor Brown and Linda!

Personally, I think the fact that Cabaret came thisclose to upsetting Godfather for Best Pic was/is something of a scandal, considering Coppola's film is now considered maybe the greatest ever (depending where you rankCitizen Kane and G2). G won only 3 out of a possible 10, while C won 8 (!). A bit lopsided IMHO -- granted I haven't seen Cabaret in 30 years, while I watch G1 & G2 annually.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »
Liz and Dick and Britt and Liza!, Jaclyn, Kate & Farrah.

Meg and Rodney, John Travolta, Governor Brown and Linda!

Personally, I think the fact that Cabaret came thisclose to upsetting Godfather for Best Pic was/is something of a scandal, considering Coppola's film is now considered maybe the greatest ever (depending where you rankCitizen Kane and G2). G won only 3 out of a possible 10, while C won 8 (!). A bit lopsided IMHO -- granted I haven't seen Cabaret in 30 years, while I watch G1 & G2 annually.

see my ETA to earlier post.

I agree, and furthermore I always thought Joel Grey was slumming in the Supporting category, he could have had a Leading Role nom & no one would have argued.  In which case Brando still would have won, taking C down a notch & just maybe one of the 3 nominees from G would have picked up the Supporting win instead.  I also wonder if in hindsight Coppola's DP (who did all three G movies) would have won instead of Fosse's, (Can't remember either guy's name).  But the guy wasn't even nommed until GIII!

ETA: had to look him up, his name is Gordon Willis, and IMDb sez: In a spectacular seven-year period from 1971 to 1977, seven of the films he worked on as director of photography accumulated 39 Oscar nominations with 19 wins. Among these wins were three Best Picture winners (The Godfather (1972), The Godfather: Part II (1974) and Annie Hall (1977)) and six for acting (Jane Fonda, Marlon Brando, John Houseman, Robert De Niro, Jason Robards and Diane Keaton). Incredibly, Willis failed to secure a single nomination for himself during this period.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:13:10 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

er... worst. april fool's. joke. evah.

Okay, how about a 2-part Love Story related trivia:  In Love Story, Ryan O'Neill plays a Harvard student, and the actor who made his film debut playing the roommate really did go to Harvard.

1.) This actor has gone on to a lengthy career, including multiple Oscar noms & 1 win, who is he?
2.) In real life, this actor's Harvard roommate went on to be even more famous than either he or Ryan O'Neill.  Who was his roommate?

too easy. So I'll let someone else get it  ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

Okay, how about a 2-part Love Story related trivia:  In Love Story, Ryan O'Neill plays a Harvard student, and the actor who made his film debut playing the roommate really did go to Harvard.

1.) This actor has gone on to a lengthy career, including multiple Oscar noms & 1 win, who is he?
2.) In real life, this actor's Harvard roommate went on to be even more famous than either he or Ryan O'Neill.  Who was his roommate?

Is bill gates the answer to #2?
~CPL593H~

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

nope, Gates is about 10 yrs too young.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

I'm about to give up, but I think I want to mention Kris Kristofferson in here somewhere before I go.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 01:06:55 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

I'm about to give up, but I think I want to mention Kris Kristofferson in here somewhere before I go.

Did Kristofferson go to Harvard? I knew he was a Rhodes scholar, but not where he did his undergrad. Also, he's a graduate of San Mateo High, in my uncle's class--1953, iirc.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

Did Kristofferson go to Harvard? I knew he was a Rhodes scholar, but not where he did his undergrad. Also, he's a graduate of San Mateo High, in my uncle's class--1953, iirc.

April Fool's!  Nah, just kidding, just me being uninformed.  I looked him up him wikipedia: he went to Pomona College.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »

Streisand in Love Story?

April Fool's!  Nah, just kidding, just me being uninformed.  I looked him up him wikipedia: he went to Pomona College.

Bet he's the *only* Rhodes scholar from Pomona College!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »

ok, I looked it up. 

good one, shray! 
~CPL593H~

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 03:35:14 PM »

you're kidding, right?  That's of the top 10 liberal arts colleges in the US.  A HS friend went there (same class as my brother) and it was only marginally less competitive for him than it was for my brother to get into Stanford.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 03:48:29 PM »

you're kidding, right?  That's of the top 10 liberal arts colleges in the US.  A HS friend went there (same class as my brother) and it was only marginally less competitive for him than it was for my brother to get into Stanford.

Live'n'learn!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:32 PM »

ok, I looked it up. 

good one, shray! 

Son of a gun. I knew the answer and didn't realize I knew the answer until I looked. But since I did peek, I won't bust it.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »

ok, I looked it up. 

good one, shray! 

Son of a gun. I knew the answer and didn't realize I knew the answer until I looked. But since I did peek, I won't bust it.

Tommy Lee Jones and Al Gore?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 09:54:52 AM »

ok, I looked it up. 

good one, shray! 

Tommy Lee Jones and Al Gore?

DING DING DING!!