Author Topic: The Food Thread  (Read 58488 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Food Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
I'd be buzzing like a cheap TV.

Bill Kirchen's ears are ringing!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Food Thread
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
Who here likes cold-brewed coffee?  It seems like all the coffee shops in SF are serving their iced coffee this way...and a bunch in the SB/EB are doing it too.  Not as many in the peninsula but there are a couple.  It tastes pretty good...most of the ones I've tried are very low in acidity.  They're also usually much sweeter, even without added sugar.  I'm looking for a good one in SF.  Can someone recommend one/a few?  My favorite one in the south bay is at Cafe Legato.  They use Ritual Roasters, which I don't usually like because it's too acidic, but their brewing method gets it out and WOW--it has a very strong cola taste...it's almost like Pepsi Natural, even with no added sweetener...just with no carbonation.

I've been trying to make it at home with a very simple-looking machine called Toddy.  Seems to get good results with Starbucks Casi Cielo.

haven't tried it, but I think Blue Bottle does this.  it's not cheap, but nothing at BB is.

I started drinking Toddys a couple of years ago; there's a cafe near a farmers' market I was working that made cold brew and I'd get a tall one before the market. You're right, the flavor is great but that stuff is like rocket fuel--I'd be buzzing like a cheap TV.  Learned fast to either have them dilute it a little or to just order a short one.

Tinka, thanks for the rec! :)  Urth, LOL...so true, they're very strong.  Once my Mom was visiting when I made a batch and I forgot to warn her, so she drank an entire cup of it.  I usually dilute mine 1:1 with water or, even better, grass-fed milk to make a mean iced latte. :D  (To be even more pretentious, I sometimes make a syrup with TJ's 100% Cocoa Powder & a touch of raw honey...and voila, an iced mocha!)