Author Topic: 12 December 2008: it's...1968!!  (Read 17570 times)

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: 12 December 2008: it's...1968!!
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
BOS Beatles -- still sounds great turned up loud!!!!
Now I'm eight bits...

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
My top 20 Singles book says the Small Faces had lots of success in the UK (Tin Soldier to #14 in Jan, 1968), but only ItchyandScratchycoo Park made the top 20 in the US.

I love Mike's current sig quote, but Rod, I love yours even more.  ROTFL!

Mine was inspired by Mike's, which is just freakin' great. 

BTW, that song never needs to be played on the radio ever again, imo.  Went from catchy to annoying real quick for me.

did you hear Joel Selvin on KFOG yesterday?  he was playing his usual blowhard dinosaur rocker dude, talking about how pop music sucks these days (some caller actually called him a "self-important blowhard," heh heh) and Dave & Co. played "Are We Human" to see what he thought of it.  he seemed to think it was ok, actually... although I don't recall anything being mentioned about that nonsensical lyric.  

~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
Talk about your quick sets--I believe we're heading into tune #10, and it's all of 10:28. Unless the last cut is Inna Gadda Da Vida or something.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »
Apollo 8 Christmas '68 was cool to follow on TV when I was a lad.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
BOS Beatles -- still sounds great turned up loud!!!!

Hey Rich, good to see you.  Is it just me or have you been scarcer than usual lately?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
My top 20 Singles book says the Small Faces had lots of success in the UK (Tin Soldier to #14 in Jan, 1968), but only ItchyandScratchycoo Park made the top 20 in the US.

I love Mike's current sig quote, but Rod, I love yours even more.  ROTFL!

Mine was inspired by Mike's, which is just freakin' great. 

BTW, that song never needs to be played on the radio ever again, imo.  Went from catchy to annoying real quick for me.

did you hear Joel Selvin on KFOG yesterday?  he was playing his usual blowhard dinosaur rocker dude, talking about how pop music sucks these days (some caller actually called him a "self-important blowhard," heh heh) and Dave & Co. played "Are We Human" to see what he thought of it.  he seemed to think it was ok, actually... although I don't recall anything being mentioned about that nonsensical lyric.  

Selvin was indeed playing that role to get a rise outta people, I'm sure. They got LOTS of e-mail, pro & con.

But the lyric's not nonsensical if you get the Hunter S. Thompson reference.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
Talk about your quick sets--I believe we're heading into tune #10, and it's all of 10:28. Unless the last cut is Inna Gadda Da Vida or something.

Well it sure won't be the "Time Has Come Today" megamix.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »

Yeah, I missed about 5 songs in the middle by stepping away for a few minutes to do some "work" -- grrr.
Now I'm eight bits...

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
Wow, who is on speaking on this clip??  I feel like I *should* recognize this...
Now I'm eight bits...

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
Dave would usually play the Fab Four's X-mas greeting before the song, not after, so I think he's taking a pass this year.

Speaking of Xmas greetings, anyone heard any clues as to whether he's doing a final Foghead Xmas Card set next Friday? I'd love to hear it, but he'd have to put it together at the station, as I'd bet his home studio is boxed up and ready to go on the truck by now. And those things are no small amount of labor.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 10:31:56 AM »
Well, song 10 is Kermit -- that's sorta Christmassy ;)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »
Always dug Canned Heat, wish the radio would play more than their 3 hits.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
Dave would usually play the Fab Four's X-mas greeting before the song, not after, so I think he's taking a pass this year.

Speaking of Xmas greetings, anyone heard any clues as to whether he's doing a final Foghead Xmas Card set next Friday? I'd love to hear it, but he'd have to put it together at the station, as I'd bet his home studio is boxed up and ready to go on the truck by now. And those things are no small amount of labor.

Nothing has been said -- my guess is he doesn't want his last "live" 10@10 to be the Xmas card, but he could solicit greetings early next week and record one for playback on the 24th.  (he'd just have to voice-track; most of the work would be Greg's or some techie)

ETA: Peter actually asked that very question the day Dave made the big announcement; Dave tersely replied "it's 2 months AWAY, Peter -- I'm not thinking that far ahead!"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:37:37 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »
Canned Heat always cracks me up...  love it.   ;D
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »

Nothing has been said -- my guess is he doesn't want his last "live" 10@10 to be the Xmas card, but he could solicit greetings early next week and record one for playback on the 24th.  (he'd just have to voice-track; most of the work would be Greg's or some techie)

ETA: Peter actually asked that very question the day Dave made the big announcement; Dave tersely replied "it's 2 months AWAY, Peter -- I'm not thinking that far ahead!"

Your post gave me the following idea for an email which I just sent to Greg:

Hi Greg,

Loyal Foghead here.  I was just chatting with a bunch of my other Foghead buddies while listening to the 2nd to last Friday 10@10 with Dave in the studio.   

We began to wonder if he'd be doing the semi-regular 10@10 Christmas cards, but the consensus was we suppose that with his home studio packed up...probably not.  But then it occurred to me that maybe you, Greg,  would be interested in taking some calls from Fogheads wishing Dave a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & Best Wishes for his life in Michigan.

What do you think?  If you could set this up with a time to call & tape them without Dave knowing in advance, I can pretty much guarantee at least 10 of my friends would make the call & give very sincere wishes to Dave.  If we in turn spread the word informally I'm sure you'd get as many as you could use.   

Or maybe you're already doing something like this, in which case could you let us know how to contribute?

Thanks very much,

Mark

And less than 10 minutes later Greg replied:

Hi Mark,

The next week is going to be crazy full with various projects that require a lot of time and energy of everyone here. Best thing to do is try and call during the week and let Dave know how you feel. The whole week is basically devoted to that so there should be plenty of time to get everyone in.

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:00:44 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010