Author Topic: Holiday Radio  (Read 21710 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Radio
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
More Barry Scott Xmas goodness -- sorry I missed "Part 1" last week, but Part 2 is awesome (except for Corey Hart's execrable "Rudolph".)   
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
My first listen this year to somafm.com's "Xmas in Frisko" stream -- Eric Cartman's "Swiss Colony Beef Log", as hilarious a combination Christmas song/Meat Loaf parody as you'll find.

I'm listening to Xmas in Frisko right now.  Here: an outfit called Rubber Band doing Wham's "Last Christmas" in the style of early Beatles/DC5/Merseybeat.  Works quite well; you'd think it was a Fountains of Wayne side project.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »
My first listen this year to somafm.com's "Xmas in Frisko" stream -- Eric Cartman's "Swiss Colony Beef Log", as hilarious a combination Christmas song/Meat Loaf parody as you'll find.

I'm listening to Xmas in Frisko right now.  Here: an outfit called Rubber Band doing Wham's "Last Christmas" in the style of early Beatles/DC5/Merseybeat.  Works quite well; you'd think it was a Fountains of Wayne side project.

Damn, I'll have to seek that out, sounds wonderful. WLNG just gave me my first Waitresses sighting of ('tis) the season. Betting we get it from Dave tomorrow.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:12 AM »
I'm not usually fond of hip-hop-ified remixes of old tunes, but this "update" of Macca's "Wonderful Xmastime" is def an improvement. "the W-W-W-W-Word is out!"  OMG -- now they've added samples from Santa Claus is Coming to Town (the TV special). B-B-B-Burgermeister!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:57:43 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
On Xmas in Frisko: Yet another Bob Rivers parody for the ages: Jesus' Birthday, a note-for-note take on the Beatles' Birthday.

"I would like some presents...see my uncles and aunts...get some socks and some pants..."

Followed by Snoop Dog's The Night Before Christmas, funny but def. NSFMFW.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »
On Xmas in Frisko: Yet another Bob Rivers parody for the ages: Jesus' Birthday, a note-for-note take on the Beatles' Birthday.

"I would like some presents...see my uncles and aunts...get some socks and some pants..."

Followed by Snoop Dog's The Night Before Christmas, funny but def. NSFMFW.

Snoop made me switch to WLNG. Crude and unfunny, IMHO. But the Rivers thing is indeed one of his most inspired.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »
Another NTM on Xmas in Frisko: A mashup of More Than a Feeling with the Beatles' Christmas Time Is Here Again and a little bit of Greg Lake's Father Christmas. It sorta works, kinda.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
Gayla Peevey's "I want a Hippopotamus for Xmas" is from the '50s, yet I never once heard it until I bought the Dr Demento Xmas CD in 1991. And now I hear it multiple times each year on places like 'LNG and somafm.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »
OMG, Ray Stevens' "Santa Claus is Watchin' You", featuring a cameo by Clyde the Camel from "Ahab the Ay-rab"!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
OMG2: The Royal Guardsmen, "Snoopy's Chrstmas" -- I just found out SmashMouth are one of the very few artists to do a cover of this one in the past 40 years.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »
Barry Scott plays the BeeGees "First of May", (when I was small/and Christmas trees were tall...) one of those non-Xmas songs that mentions Xmas. I meant to devote a post on the Christmas thread to just such tunes.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
TANC: Jim Croce's "It Doesn't Have to Be That way", accompanied by an interview with his widow, who I've always heard bad things about.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
wow -- nobody EVER plays EJ's "Ho Ho Ho", the B-side of "Step into Xmas".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
Chris DeBurgh's intergalactic Xmas song, "Spaceman Came Travelling" -- sad that most American don't know this one, a UK hit for Christmas 1986,

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
Barry Scott plays 3DN's "Rockin' Around the Xmas Tree" -- sounds like the same version they lip-synched to on that godawful '80s holiday special discussed here last week.