Author Topic: 17 Nov 2008: It's 1973  (Read 13581 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 17 Nov 2008: It's 1973
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »
Did anyone attend any of these 1973 Bay Area concerts?

OK, where to start:
I had tickets to the Deep Purple/Fleetwood Mac show, which was cancelled due to somebody's illness.  Went out to Stockton the next day to see them (FM) at some poorly run festival, only to have the cops cut the power and tear-gas the crowd after about 5 songs.  Up until that point, they were riveting.  Weird 'make up' show later on at Antioch County Fair building with Elvin Bishop, where they debuted some Mystery to Me material.  Next time I saw them, it was the fake FM, then finally the Heroes version, Dec 74 at Winterland!

On the way home, caught the last half of the Beck/Bogert/Appice show.

Went to the Mahavishnu show to see the opener, Captain Beefheart, with his awesome Clear Spot band.  Mahavishnu kind of bored me, especially after such a hot Beefheart set. 

Went to the Zappa/Foghat/Ruben and the Jets show.  The awesome Overnight Sensation band of Zappa, mismatched by the awful, Quaalude-induced Foghat, who I was well predisposed to see, since I was a Savoy Brown fan at the time.  Terrible match, the crowd totally booed Foghat after their set, but they still did an encore.  Ruben and the Jets were awesome, and I recently bought their debut CD from Amazon MP3 store.

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »
great set, reminds me of working in the Post Office, down at Rincon Annex.  no posted BOS or bonus track

11/17/08 - Monday! One more visit to...1973

Steely Dan: Reelin in the Years
Tower of Power: So Very Hard to Go
Jackson Brown: These Days
Ann Peebles: I Can't Stand the Rain
Alice Cooper: No More Mr. Nice Guy
Paul Simon: Kodachrome
Johnny Nash: Stir it Up
The Four Tops: Are you Man Enough
The Allman Bros: Southbound
Jethro Tull: Living in the Past
BONUS TRACK: Stevie Wonder: Higher Ground
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:09:20 PM by ggould »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2008, 09:21:30 PM »
great set, reminds me of working in the Post Office, down at Rincon Annex.  no posted BOS or bonus track

OK, the "one more visit to..." line is getting old -- and the bonus track hasn't been posted in nearly a week. Either Dave has a new and EXTREMELY uncreative intern, or else they've set up a computer program to retrieve the setlist and post it to the net.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »

OK, the "one more visit to..." line is getting old -- and the bonus track hasn't been posted in nearly a week. Either Dave has a new and EXTREMELY uncreative intern, or else they've set up a computer program to retrieve the setlist and post it to the net.

Bonus question: Annalisa re-played one of the commercial clips, winner needed to fill in the blank: (woman's voice) "wow, I love these _______ new-fangled potato chips!"

the answer: Pringles!

Bonus Track
was Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground"
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »

When they say "one more visit to..." should we infer from that that we're making our *last* visit to said year before Dave's outtie? Hope not.
Let's get right to it.