Author Topic: 04 November 2008: Election Day  (Read 31952 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 04 Oct 2008: Election Day?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
I heard "Vote for Me" by Joe Walsh on KPIG.  Quite amusing, but probably too long to get played here.

longer than ELP??  I'd forgotten how, er, epic this is.
doesn't anyone else get a headache from these synth patches?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
ooo! ELP, "Fanfare for the Common Man"! BOS and proxy of shray!
In my first post-graduation house, we often played this music at full volume the day after a party.  The goal was to irritate hungover people, which it did quite effectively.  It became known as the "Traditionary Music".  Silly memories...

By the way, I heard "Vote for Me" by Joe Walsh on KPIG.  Quite amusing, but probably too long to get played here.

TANC. One summer when I was in college, I threw a big party at my parents house for all my dorm pals while the folks were away on vacation (natch). My folks then lived in a good-sized house out in the country in the Sierra foothills, a great place to get one's youthful party on. Had about 30+ people stay over, and people were crashed out all over the place, inside, outside, under trees, on the deck, etc. So one of my high school friends dragged my speakers out onto the deck at about 6am as the sun was coming up, and blasted this song. The people who were sleeping out doors said it was just wild to hear the horn fanfare at the beginning come wafting thru the trees. And yeah, some of the more hungover folks were not so charitable.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
By the way, I heard "Vote for Me" by Joe Walsh on KPIG.  Quite amusing, but probably too long to get played here.

would love to hear some Joe Walsh here.  I don't know "Vote for me" but didn't he (sort of) run for VP a while back? like in the Reagan years?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
LBJ into ELP--a nice start indeed (and a shoutout to the amazing Aaron Copland).

My college radio station signed on in the morning with a classical show, The Breakfast Concert, and it always began with a pastoral thing from Copland -- "Appalachian Spring"?  Lovely.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
has anyone already voted? and if so, how long did you have to wait?
a couple of my co-workers said they tried to early vote, but the lines (in SF) were too long already before 7 AM

I was in line just before 7am in Alameda, out the door by 7:17 (voter 10).  The line was getting pretty long by the time I left.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 04 Oct 2008: Election Day
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
jesus! farnham?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »
would love to hear some Joe Walsh here.  I don't know "Vote for me" but didn't he (sort of) run for VP a while back? like in the Reagan years?

I thought he ran for prez in '92 (?), the year after he had "Ordinary Average Guy" out.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »

TANC. One summer when I was in college, I threw a big party at my parents house for all my dorm pals while the folks were away on vacation (natch). My folks then lived in a good-sized house out in the country in the Sierra foothills, a great place to get one's youthful party on. Had about 30+ people stay over, and people were crashed out all over the place, inside, outside, under trees, on the deck, etc. So one of my high school friends dragged my speakers out onto the deck at about 6am as the sun was coming up, and blasted this song. The people who were sleeping out doors said it was just wild to hear the horn fanfare at the beginning come wafting thru the trees. And yeah, some of the more hungover folks were not so charitable.
I'm so there!  ;D
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »
jesus! farnham?

is that who this strident song is by?  the arrangement make it sound like something you'd hear at an Up With People gathering, or accomanying music to some Disney fireworks show.
~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »

I thought he ran for prez in '92 (?), the year after he had "Ordinary Average Guy" out.

that was vp.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »
jesus! farnham?

"you're the voice" -- get it??  Just one more victory, indeed! BOS2 Todd.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:12 AM »
BOS for Todd.  Really works for this set.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »

Per Wikipedia:
Walsh ran a mock campaign for President in 1980, promising to make "Life's Been Good" the new national anthem if he won, and running on a platform of "Free Gas For Everyone." Though Walsh was not old enough to actually assume the office, he wanted to raise public awareness of the election. He then ran again for vice president in 1992 and was unsuccessful.

I remember the presidential shtick in '80, but I'd forgotten about '92.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »
love this one from the Toddster.  He sure can do some spiritual stuff.

BOS to Todd.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 10:19:01 AM »

that was vp.

your avatar is scaring me, princess. Have you seen "I've Loved you So Long" -- French film with Kristin Scott-Thomas?  It opened here last week to some rapturous reviews.