Author Topic: Micky in the Morning  (Read 6878 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Micky in the Morning
« on: April 12, 2005, 06:28:35 AM »
This topic is for me to post things done and said on Micky Dolenz's WCBS-FM morning show.

Which I was on today.

I won their trivia contest: They played an excerpt of someone attempting to croon the Beatles' "Something," and asked people to call in to guess the artist.  As it happens, I own that record (connoisseur of bad art that I am), so I called in and correctly identified it as Telly Savalas.  Micky returned the favor by playing "Who Loves You" afterwards.   :D
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Micky in the Morning
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 07:23:51 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
This topic is for me to post things done and said on Micky Dolenz's WCBS-FM morning show.

Which I was on today.

I won their trivia contest: They played an excerpt of someone attempting to croon the Beatles' "Something," and asked people to call in to guess the artist.  As it happens, I own that record (connoisseur of bad art that I am), so I called in and correctly identified it as Telly Savalas.  Micky returned the favor by playing "Who Loves You" afterwards.   :D
Congrats!  What's next?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 07:34:29 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Which I was on today.

Congrats!  What's next?

Woo Hoo!  Was there an actual prize?

Folks on the NY radio message board continue to snipe at Micky's show. I'm not sure if the ratings have improved since he took over.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 08:06:22 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"

Which I was on today.

Congrats!  What's next?

Woo Hoo!  Was there an actual prize?

Folks on the NY radio message board continue to snipe at Micky's show. I'm not sure if the ratings have improved since he took over.

I won a "WCBS Prize Pak," which Micky himself admitted he didn't know what it consisted of.

No idea what his ratings are, but the show is blandly comforting.  Micky isn't nearly as manic as I'd expected him to be, though he's certainly affable.  In an obligatory nod to his past, he irregularly does a "Monkee Minute" where he answers phoned-in questions in speed-round style.  I'm not sure he realizes how snarky his responses tend to be (though to be fair, people ask some dumb and/or inarticulate questions).  His faint contemptuousness toward his audience will probably be his downfall.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 09:43:28 AM »
No idea what his ratings are, but the show is blandly comforting.  Micky isn't nearly as manic as I'd expected him to be, though he's certainly affable.  In an obligatory nod to his past, he irregularly does a "Monkee Minute" where he answers phoned-in questions in speed-round style.  I'm not sure he realizes how snarky his responses tend to be (though to be fair, people ask some dumb and/or inarticulate questions).  His faint contemptuousness toward his audience will probably be his downfall.

He's not the only of the ex-Monkees who is somewhat disdainful of fans of his former self. Several years ago I went to see Peter Tork do a solo show at a small club in Davis, and it was obvious in talking to some of the other folks in the audience that there were a number who were obsessed fans, or to put it more succinctly, "Monkees stalkers." Anyway, Peter was not the most charming (or talented--his inability to sing on-key was almost painful) of performers, but he was carrying on as show biz tradition dictates. Anyway these "stalkers" kept shouting out songs and making references to obscure stuff from the TV show. So at one point in the middle of the show, suddenly one of these folks jumps up between songs and runs to the stage (all of about 15 feet) bearing a Sharpie and something for him to sign--in the middle of the show! And Peter just went off. Totally ripped this poor woman a new one--"snarky" doesn't even begin to describe his behavior. She was out of line, no doubt, but considering that he was (and is) a has-been capitalizing on his past work, and she and her like were responsible for his continued cash flow, he could have handled it with a bit more grace. She slunk back to her seat near tears and I was out the door about five minutes later.
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Micky in the Morning
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 09:54:56 AM »
Peter Tork was big in Japan. And that's all I know of him post-Monkee.
nakes? On my plane?