Author Topic: 31 Oct 2008: the Annual Halloween SPOOK-tacular  (Read 8719 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Oct 2008: the Annual Halloween SPOOK-tacular
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 11:00:50 AM »
DAMMIT!! I can't get the KFOG player to work. Again. (it was working yesterday afternoon, tho') F#%@$$K!

When I tried to connect this am for the last bit of the marathon, I was ultimately successful, but it took a hell of a long time (like 2 or 3 minutes) for it to connect, both for the ad that leads into the stream and the stream proper.

However, so far I haven't had any of the buffering issues we had during yesterday's set. Lower traffic?
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
Apropos more to 10@10 in general, I just noticed that in the two weeks since Dave announced his retirement, we haven't had any sets more recent than 87, and only two were newer than 82.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »
Apropos more to 10@10 in general, I just noticed that in the two weeks since Dave announced his retirement, we haven't had any sets more recent than 87, and only two were newer than 82.
just heard a promo on the radio saying that Monday would be for "80's lovers" or words to that effect.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 06:35:12 PM »
just heard a promo on the radio saying that Monday would be for "80's lovers" or words to that effect.

ah, but Tuesday will (I'm assuming) be the Election Day Set, traditionally one of Dave's best.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 12:46:51 AM »

ah, but Tuesday will (I'm assuming) be the Election Day Set, traditionally one of Dave's best.

I have vivid memories of the 2004 Election Day set. I'd been called for jury duty at the SF Civic Center courthouse starting the day before, and had to return that morning to finish jury selection. They wrapped it up amazingly fast (and I wasn't selected), so I was turned loose about 5 minutes after 10, still during the first song of the set. Rather than take MUNI down to 2nd St., I walked down Market the whole way, taking in the array of humanity on display in that mile-long stretch, with Dave's volcanic set as my soundtrack. I still remember hearing Ball of Confusion as I walked past the cacaphony of 6th and Market, an image I will always remember.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »
10/31/08 – FRIDAY!!  Halloweeen!!

1.  Elton John – Funeral For a Friend (BEST OF SET!!)
2.  Oingo Boingo – Dead Man’s Party
3.  Danny Elfman – This is Halloween
4.  Michael Jackson – Thriller
5.  Johnny Otis Show – Castin’ My Spell
6.  Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells
7.  Ramones – Pet Sematary
8.  Specials – Ghost Train
9.  Bobby Boris Pickett – Monster Mash
10. The Toyes – Monster Hash

BONUS TRACK:   Ministry – Every Day is Halloween
so, I missed hearing the set (heard some on Sat morning) but got to see Wake The Dead last night in Berkeley opening up their 2nd set with  "Castin' My Spell"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
10/31/08 – FRIDAY!!  Halloweeen!!

1.  Elton John – Funeral For a Friend (BEST OF SET!!)
2.  Oingo Boingo – Dead Man’s Party
3.  Danny Elfman – This is Halloween
4.  Michael Jackson – Thriller
5.  Johnny Otis Show – Castin’ My Spell
6.  Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells
7.  Ramones – Pet Sematary
9.  Bobby Boris Pickett – Monster Mash
10. The Toyes – Monster Hash

BONUS TRACK:   Ministry – Every Day is Halloween

Just noticed: Shouldn't that Specials song be Ghost Town?!? Do we blame Dave's intern?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »

Just noticed: Shouldn't that Specials song be Ghost Town?!? Do we blame Dave's intern?

maybe it was the ghost in the machine.

Last nite Little Steven closed his show with Donovan's "Season of the Witch" and it occurred to me that we didn't hear that one on ANY of Friday's 10@10s -- first time that's happened, iirc, it was once a staple of Dave's Spooktacular.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:57:42 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

Last nite Little Steven closed his show with Donovan's "Season of the Witch" and it occurred to me that we didn't hear that one on ANY of Friday's 10@10s -- first time that's happened, iirc, it was once a staple of Dave's Spooktacular.

Sorry I missed Little Steven's show.  There's a huge back library on his web site, in case you ever want to go back in time to go back in time again. 

.. and I blame the intern for not interpreting Dave's handwriting correctly (I get the feeling he hand writes that list out, then hands it over..) 
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »

Sorry I missed Little Steven's show.  There's a huge back library on his web site, in case you ever want to go back in time to go back in time again. 

.. and I blame the intern for not interpreting Dave's handwriting correctly (I get the feeling he hand writes that list out, then hands it over..) 

I think Tinka is even more right than what he said, because on the back announce Dave clearly said "Ghost Train".  So either he can't read his own handwriting, or he actually wrote it down that way before he handed it to the intern.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010