Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456168 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Local radio news
« Reply #375 on: October 21, 2008, 10:49:39 AM »
Starting 7:40AM Monday, Oct 27, KCBS will be simulcast on 106.9FM.  KFRC programming can be heard online at kfrc.com or on HD radios at KFRC-HD2.  Story: KFRC-FM drops rock for all-news format
San Francisco Chronicle, 10/21/08
Don't expect to hear classic rock when you turn on KFRC (106.9 FM) Monday morning. The station's owner, CBS, will replace the format with a simulcast of KCBS (740 AM)...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/21/DDLB13L3PG.DTL&hw=kcbs&sn=001&sc=1000
Wow. I mean, KFRC was doing *nothing* ratings-wise, but still.  Goodbye Csaey Kasem (locally).
Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, as I did occasionally turn to KFRC at home and in the car for my fix of classic hits and of course to hear Casey.  At least he'll still be on KFRC thru their website and HD radio (and other webstreaming stations).  Guess I'll consider getting an HD radio for Casey, 10at10 and other programs (will KFOG-HD still do 24-hr 10at10's?).  I've been taping Casey off KFRC each Sat since March, so I'll miss that.  Hey, do they make HD radios with a cassette recorder?  No?!  Oh well.  But wait, there is another option!... move to Modesto to tape Casey Sundays 10am-1pm as it airs over Oldies 97.5 Modesto-Merced-Fresno! ;)

Losing AT40 over local airwaves completely sucks.  I hope someone else picks up that show.  I was getting really addicted to it.  I know other stns stream it, but not always at a decent bitrate or time slot.

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Losing AT40 over local airwaves completely sucks.  I hope someone else picks up that show.  I was getting really addicted to it.  I know other stns stream it, but not always at a decent bitrate or time slot.

sadly, i can't imagine anyone else in this market who would want it; in any case, if KFRC.com is continuing with music, they'll probably continue with Casey, so no one else could get it even if they *did* want it.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 03, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
For those who remember M. Dung from KFOG, his "Idiot Show" is making a comeback on KYCY, 1550 AM, Sun nites from 6 to 8.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #378 on: November 03, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »
For those who remember M. Dung from KFOG, his "Idiot Show" is making a comeback on KYCY, 1550 AM, Sun nites from 6 to 8.
the website says Saturday:
http://www.kyouradio.com/index.php?display=pgrid

Is this a real station?  Streaming?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 03, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »

well, that's weird -- I got my info from an item on radio-info.com that was posted by Mr Dung himself! "Sunday Nov 16th" is when he says the premiere is.  Anyway, yes it's a "real" station.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 03, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
Fond memory.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 03, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »

Yep, they're real. A friend of mine used to submit a podcast to them periodically, called "Crate-picker's Holiday." Mostly focused on rare tracks and B-sides. I don't see that listed on their schedule, but it looks like they're programming a much more regular schedule now. When Tim was doing it, his show could appear at 5 in the afternoon, or 2am, or 8 am or pm. Hard to cultivate a regular audience that way.

And yes, they do stream. Sounds decent--from their site it appears to be a CBS station.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2008, 08:01:40 AM »
Someone I work with told me that the Sharks just severed their cozy promotional relationship with Live 105 (They'd been giving the station tons of tickets etc) because one of the jocks made an "inappropriate" gay reference regarding one of the players -- within minutes someone from the Sharks was on the phone to the station saying "you guys are toast". 

Perhaps we should email KFOG and tell them the Sharks are "available"?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »
Someone I work with told me that the Sharks just severed their cozy promotional relationship with Live 105 (They'd been giving the station tons of tickets etc) because one of the jocks made an "inappropriate" gay reference regarding one of the players -- within minutes someone from the Sharks was on the phone to the station saying "you guys are toast". 

"one of the jocks"...that would pretty much have to be Woody, n'c'est pas?  I think he's a real tool.  On the other hand I actually like Madden a lot.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »

"one of the jocks"...that would pretty much have to be Woody, n'c'est pas?  I think he's a real tool.  On the other hand I actually like Madden a lot.

I rarely listen to Live 105 -- Woody's the morning guy, yes? Lots' of "wake up with wood" references, no doubt.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »

I rarely listen to Live 105 -- Woody's the morning guy, yes? Lots' of "wake up with wood" references, no doubt.

Yeah, it used to just be the Morning Show or some such, but they now call it "The Woody Show" & he has been getting more and more annoying - think it's gone to his head. 

Like many stations, if you call in someone screens your call & asks where you're calling from.  So Woody always ends each call by appending "Number one in Corte Madera!"  Which gets old real fast.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »

Yeah, it used to just be the Morning Show or some such, but they now call it "The Woody Show" & he has been getting more and more annoying - think it's gone to his head. 

Like many stations, if you call in someone screens your call & asks where you're calling from.  So Woody always ends each call by appending "Number one in Corte Madera!"  Which gets old real fast.
Number one in the 415! I listen to 105 but not the morning show. As ridiculous as the Bone. I have been listening quite a bit to KISS and Renel's show. I like the old school stuff. I like Dave's morning show but the KFOG music is not always what I want to hear. 104.9 alternative is pretty good.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »
an "inappropriate" gay reference regarding one of the players

Of whom can the appropriate gay references be made?

Just curious.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 24, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »

Just curious.

Elton John

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 24, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »

Just curious.

Elton John

bwhahaha!  TANC: Comcast has given me Logo (it was not available to me for quite a while) and I saw part of an EJ docu the other day.  And to the list I would add Carson Kressley and the rest of the Queer Eye queens, Rosie O'Donnell and Bruce Vilanch.