Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 453884 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1455 on: June 15, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
Just saw via AllAccess that KFOG PD Mat Bates has "exited the station" bu offers no further details.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/177549/kfog-san-francisco-pd-mat-bates-exits?ref=mail_bulletin
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 15, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
Just saw via AllAccess that KFOG PD Mat Bates has "exited the station" bu offers no further details.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/177549/kfog-san-francisco-pd-mat-bates-exits?ref=mail_bulletin

That's funny: Ben Fong-Torres reported that Master Bates was fired a couple days after Rosalie's last show.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 15, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
In her farewell "Acoustic Sunrise" this morning, Rosalie did shout-outs to her former KFOG colleagues. She said Dave Morey is on a station in Palm Springs ( KWIR/Palm Springs http://bit.ly/KWIRFM ) which was news to me. Per Dred Scott on FB, Dave's on that station "whenever he feels like it."

Also news to me: on Dave's Michigan station ( Wxtf-Lp 97.9 Harrisville www.979 harrisville ), there's a show called "Barry's Dynamite Show" and it turns out Barry is Rosalie's husband. Also, John Grappone is still doing weekends on KINK in Portland.

I've listened to Dave's new station a few times, but his broadcast schedule is pretty much nonexistent. I check in to see if he's on once or twice a week, and might get lucky once a month. As on WTF, he rarely (never) opens the mic, and sticks more to old jazz and r&b with a healthy helping of vintage commercials and soundbites. It's definitely not 10@10 redux.

(Btw, Dave departed Michigan nearly two years ago for the warmer climes of Palm Springs; I guess nearly 30 years in CA (even the Bay area's moderate climate) had taken away his resistance to Michigan winters. The station was able to relocate to the basement of another of its regular volunteers and continues broadcasting on a pretty steady 7-day schedule, although a number of volunteer jocks left at the time the station moved.)

I know less of Barry's Dynamite Show, simply because it airs on Saturdays when I'm usually not in front of a computer. But Barry's a good guy and has exemplary taste in music (i.e. as guys of a certain age who worked in the music biz often do) so I expect it's quite entertaining.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 15, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »
60's Watch - The Bone played "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" Sunday afternoon.  They probably don't go back to '65 too often, but it does happen.

KUFX played The Animal's House of the Rising Sun (1964) this morning.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 07, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
KCSM is already running promos for their Autumn Pledge Drive -- which is 3 weeks away (begins Labor Day wknd). Guess they were spooked by the shortfalls they had during the last 2 drives.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 04, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
August ratings out today. The now officially "alternative" KFOG up a tick (from 1.2 to 1.4), but Live, er I mean Alt 105.3, makes a bigger jump, from 1.5 to 2.1

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1461 on: September 04, 2018, 11:26:05 PM »
KCSM is already running promos for their Autumn Pledge Drive -- which is 3 weeks away (begins Labor Day wknd). Guess they were spooked by the shortfalls they had during the last 2 drives.
Isn't there a change in ownership/license?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 05, 2018, 08:38:11 AM »

You're thinking of the TV station. I'm talking about KCSM-FM, aka "Jazz 91"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 05, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »

You're thinking of the TV station. I'm talking about KCSM-FM, aka "Jazz 91"

The TV station (KPJK) is interesting, with a lot of Native American programming.  I recently read "There, There", a debut novel by Native American author Tommy Orange.  It's set in Oakland and relates stories of "urban" Natives.  Not a happy novel, but very good.  It's well worth checking out.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 31, 2018, 03:21:46 PM »
Although this is a minor move, it's one I never saw coming. 96.5 KOIT's HD-2 station flipped to AAA, and is calling itself "Different." I've been listening to it. It's a pretty standard AAA that skews more recent. Lots of 90s, 00s, and 10s (but not stuck in the 90s), occasionally something from the 80s. Nothing too adventurous yet, though maybe they will be later.

https://koit.com/96-5-hd2/

I was genuinely surprised because nobody seems to care about HD2 or AAA anymore. Most AAA stations just ended up getting pushed to their HD2 frequency when they flipped formats, so if KFOG didn't end up on either 97.7 HD2 or 104.5 HD2 then I thought that market #4 was officially done with AAA.

Then again, Bonneville isn't exactly a Clear Channel, Cumulus, Entercom, or even Alpha. The sale of the four stations from CBS/Entercom just completed and even though branding for "Different" is at this point minimal, it's clear that they're paying attention. They seem to like AAA (hence KSWD, which didn't last but they put up a good fight. LA is also a difficult market for AAA; it's much easier in SF, and should have worked here for any company that puts minimal effort.) I wonder if they're just using this as something to have fun with, or if they have bigger plans (i.e. flipping one of their other stations to AAA.) If they flipped, not sure which one it would be...all four of them are doing fairly well.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 19, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »
Newest ratings are out.  KOIT plummets from a 10.7 to a 4.8 now that "all-Xmas" season is behind us.  KFOG and Alt 105.3 both stagnant at 1.2 and 1.4, respectively. Now does that mean that if there were only one "Alternative" station, it would have a 2.6? Probably not. But I have to ask KFOG, "Is a 1.2 with a demo of primarily young males, better than, say, a 2.0 with a broader mix of listeners?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: March 22, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »
Latest ratings out this week, and interestingly, The Bone has landed in the Top Ten for the first time in a dog's age with a 3.3 -- its highest rating in many a moon.

KFOG (1.3) continues to lag behind Alt 105.3 (1.7), tho' not by much.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 16, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
Latest ratings out this week, and interestingly, The Bone has landed in the Top Ten for the first time in a dog's age with a 3.3 -- its highest rating in many a moon.

Newest ratings just out show The Bone still moving up -- they're at a 3.7, which is kinda amazing. Have they significantly changed their music mix lately?

KFOG down to a 1.2 again; Alt 105.3 up to a 1.9

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 08, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »
Its new Christian ownership is shuttering WPLJ at the end of the month.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/186245/wplj-new-york-will-say-goodbye-on-may-31st
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 19, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »

Newest ratings just out show The Bone still moving up -- they're at a 3.7, which is kinda amazing. Have they significantly changed their music mix lately?

KFOG down to a 1.2 again; Alt 105.3 up to a 1.9

Latest ratings, out last week, show The Bone with a 4.0 (!) -- their highest share ever.

KFOG has a 1.6 and Alt 105.3 has a 1.9