Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 126061 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1425 on: December 22, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »
"Live 105" has gotten a slight rebrand, "The New Alt 105.3" but still has the tag "The Bay Area's Alternative." Happened about 10 minutes ago...but so far, the first three songs would suggest that this station leans newer/more indie than before.

"Alt-(fill in frequency)" is Entercom's alt brand, they flipped several stations (NYC, Houston) to that format when they took ownership of the CBS group. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 22, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
"Live 105" has gotten a slight rebrand, "The New Alt 105.3" but still has the tag "The Bay Area's Alternative." Happened about 10 minutes ago...but so far, the first three songs would suggest that this station leans newer/more indie than before.

"Alt-(fill in frequency)" is Entercom's alt brand, they flipped several stations (NYC, Houston) to that format when they took ownership of the CBS group.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/121960/live-105-san-francisco-relaunches-alt-105-3/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 31, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
KPFA might (emphasis on "might") be off the air in as little as 2 weeks tho' I suspect it won't come to that.

https://www.eastbayexpress.com/SevenDays/archives/2017/12/28/berkeleys-kpfa-radio-facing-ruin-as-new-york-real-estate-corporation-considers-seizing-stations-assets-to-settle-lawsuit

They were talking about it on the air this afternoon. As an ex-NY'er/radio geek, I've followed WBAI's troubles; that station has been a mess for some time.  The in-fighting there makes KPFA's look like child's play. But if WBAI's debtors really want to seize KPFA, it could happen.  Per what was said today, the Pacifica board still hasn't decided whether to declare bankruptcy.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 04, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »
"Classic Live 105" is back on 105.3 HD2. It used to be on HD2 years back but got replaced with "Indie 105". Now Indie is out and Classic is back (presumably since "Alt 105" leans more indie.) I've been listening to it the past few days. Mostly 80 through mid 90s Live 105, with a couple tracks from the 00s. I've heard a couple less common tracks...The Jam - "Eton Rifles," Electronic - "Get the Message," Pixies - "Head On" (Jesus & Mary Chain cover) & The Killing Joke - "Love Like Blood." It makes a good complement to Sirius XM First Wave.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 14, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Cumulus strikes again: the near-dead KGO is even near-deader, as they have relieved both Ronn Owens and Brian Copeland of their daily gabfests. (Owens segues to doing a 10-minute daily commentary -- he thinks he's Paul Harvey -- and Copeland will be "available" for weekends and fill-ins. The syndicated "Dr Drew" will take over the midday slot. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 16, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
Cumulus strikes again: the near-dead KGO is even near-deader, as they have relieved both Ronn Owens and Brian Copeland of their daily gabfests. (Owens segues to doing a 10-minute daily commentary -- he thinks he's Paul Harvey -- and Copeland will be "available" for weekends and fill-ins. The syndicated "Dr Drew" will take over the midday slot.

follow-up: Rich Lieberman is reporting a leaked Cumulus memo that basically says anyone working for a Cumulus station who is making more than six figures is in serious danger of getting canned unless there's a really good reason for them to be making that much. I'm guessing nobody at KFOG makes that much these days :)