Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456387 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #840 on: December 21, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »
On right now... the Grinder's Grooveyard Xmas show on KPOO 'til 11:30  Mambo Santa Mambo!

one of the guest DJs on this show was James Damn Brown of KUSF-in-Exile; his Xmas show will be this Wed morning from 9-to-noon ( http://kusfinexile.tumblr.com/player )

can't get the player to work, unfortunately...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 21, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
On right now... the Grinder's Grooveyard Xmas show on KPOO 'til 11:30  Mambo Santa Mambo!

one of the guest DJs on this show was James Damn Brown of KUSF-in-Exile; his Xmas show will be this Wed morning from 9-to-noon ( http://kusfinexile.tumblr.com/player )

Me either. Alternative player or link? lemme know if you find one.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 21, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

Me either. Alternative player or link? lemme know if you find one.

nope. too bad...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 25, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
Per radio-info, the PD of K-Fox (the guy who hired Big Rick) has left. Hrm.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:23:11 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 25, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
It's been ages since I listened to Little Steven on Sun nite on The Bone -- I long ago got tired of how they screw the show up each week and switched to listening via his website at work. But I turned the station on around 8:50 to see if I ciould catch some of Part 1 of his Xmas show while waiting for the Autumn King on KPOO at 10. And here we are, it's 9:21 and they're still playing regular stuff (Henley's "Boys of Summer" -- sheesh -- folloowed by Zep's "Kashmir"). Some things never change.

Meanwhile the "Lost & Found" Xmas show is on KFOG as I type, and he actually played Madonna's atrocious "Santa Baby" cover and praised it to the skies (!) -- methinks he's had too much eggnog.

ETA: OK, it's now 9:30... Nikki Blakk just said "stick around, Joel Selvin is coming up at 11:00". So they've discontinued Steven? He's still listed on their website, FWIW.

OK here we are a week later, and the Bone is running a special called "Uncle Joe's Rockin' Christmas Show" -- WTFF?? Whothehell is "Uncle Joe"??  I guess they really have dumped Little Steven. That's a shame.

And KFOG is pre-empting "Lost & Found" tonite -- Acoustic Sunset goes until midnite. Again, WTF?

ETA: "Uncle Joe" is a deejay on KLOS in L.A. http://unclejoe.com/xmasshow.html

And to top it off: No Autumn King on KPOO either. Time for bed.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:13:41 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 03, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
A comment on the radio-info SF board that I found kinda funny:

"Don't understand why KCBS 740 is popular. I find its news format and presentation boring and predictable. If I listen it to for 30 minutes or more, my mind starts to tune it out. So I either turn to another station or shut off the radio. Which is why I miss the old KGO 810 AM -- the news was delivered with a particular kind of upbeat rhythm. Now that's gone, and since I can't stand Peter Finch's rendition of the news or his voice, I seldom listen to KGO 810 AM for news..."

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #846 on: January 03, 2012, 09:17:56 PM »
The sad reality of the end of Green 960 happened today.  I tuned in for a second to check, and yes, it was Glenn Beck spewing bile in the morning.  I listened to Stephanie Miller with one earbud on the way to work via the LA talk station, but it was depressing everytime I heard traffic reports driving the point home that I couldn't listen live in SF. From noon on, it's live progressive radio.  What a weird mix.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 03, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
The sad reality of the end of Green 960 happened today.  I tuned in for a second to check, and yes, it was Glenn Beck spewing bile in the morning.  I listened to Stephanie Miller with one earbud on the way to work via the LA talk station, but it was depressing everytime I heard traffic reports driving the point home that I couldn't listen live in SF. From noon on, it's live progressive radio.  What a weird mix.

Yeah, sad but true. Honestly, I don't believe for a second that Clear Channel is doing this to 960 to gain listeners in the morning - it's more to silence the left wing.

Only a matter of time before the bile starts enveloping the other shows.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
A comment on the radio-info SF board that I found kinda funny:

" since I can't stand Peter Finch's rendition of the news or his voice"

& here I thought I was the only one...  :-X

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
BTW, it's official: The Bone has discontinued Little Steven -- references to him have been deleted from their website. (I emailed them 2 weeks ago to ask what was up; they never replied.)

No way KFOG would pick him up, I guess, but K-Fox would be crazy not to carry his show.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
Went to K-Fox's website to see if maybe they've picked up Little Steven (so far, no) and discovered this page dedicated to their "Deep Tracks Project".

http://www.kfox.com/pages/9698255.php

"Thanks to your input, we've added a bunch of deep tracks to the KFOX Playlist. Here are some of the tracks we've added. Remember - you can always add more by filling out the form..."

uh... "Little Wing" is considered "deep"? "Mr Blue Sky"?? "Tumblin' Dice"??  Damn, radio sucks.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
Went to K-Fox's website to see if maybe they've picked up Little Steven (so far, no) and discovered this page dedicated to their "Deep Tracks Project".

"Thanks to your input, we've added a bunch of deep tracks to the KFOX Playlist. Here are some of the tracks we've added. Remember - you can always add more by filling out the form..."

uh... "Little Wing" is considered "deep"? "Mr Blue Sky"?? "Tumblin' Dice"??  Damn, radio sucks.

Just read thru that list with an eye toward release dates, and I see that it's heavily weighted toward the 70s (big surprise there). There are a few songs from the 60s and a handful from the 80s, but by far that's all about the 70s.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 09, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »

Just read thru that list with an eye toward release dates, and I see that it's heavily weighted toward the 70s (big surprise there). There are a few songs from the 60s and a handful from the 80s, but by far that's all about the 70s.

My guess is K-FOX is trying to pick up aging, disenfranchised Fogheads.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
interesting article about Austin's KGSR -- they're sorta the KFOG of Austin, but traditionally included a lot of alt-country in the mix. Apparently the local flavor has been eliminated and some folks were pissed (tho' the ratings have increased):

http://www.austin360.com/music/changes-at-kgsr-sounding-good-to-more-listeners-933771.html

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
interesting article about Austin's KGSR -- they're sorta the KFOG of Austin, but traditionally included a lot of alt-country in the mix. Apparently the local flavor has been eliminated and some folks were pissed (tho' the ratings have increased):

http://www.austin360.com/music/changes-at-kgsr-sounding-good-to-more-listeners-933771.html

Isn't it ironic? The program director who is making the station more generic is named Edge. He did seem a little more upfront about the effect of his changes than those in charge of our local AAA.

I don't think anyone affiliated with KFOG has said one word publicly (including on FB) about the change to 10@10. It's as if they want to keep up the facade that AL is just pickin' the years she wants to pick and spinnin' the records she wants to spin.
Slipping into something
And out of something else