Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456162 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1470 on: July 10, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »
New ratings out: granted, a lot of fluctuations this month... the Bone drops back to a 3.3 from last month's highest-ever 4.0, and Alt 103.5 is up to a 2.2, their highest in some time. But man: KFOG falls from a 1.6 to a 1.0 -- their lowest-ever. Not even after the purge of April 2016 did they fall THAT low.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 12, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
KRBQ (Q-102) has given up on the "throwback hip-hop" format it's been doing for the last 4 years and is now "The Bay Area's Old School", using the same logo that the late, lamented Kiss was using before they became The Breeze. It's not exactly the second coming of Kiss; I'm not seeing any of the danceable New Wave titles or deep cuts that Kiss often played. OTOH, they're going back to the early '70s for Spinners/J-5 type stuff, and Kiss didn't go back that far. Worth a pre-set in the car, at least for now.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 12, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
New ratings out: granted, a lot of fluctuations this month... the Bone drops back to a 3.3 from last month's highest-ever 4.0, and Alt 103.5 is up to a 2.2, their highest in some time. But man: KFOG falls from a 1.6 to a 1.0 -- their lowest-ever. Not even after the purge of April 2016 did they fall THAT low.

Could KFOG dumping their South Bay transmitter have something to do with that? Regardless, it looks like Live/Alt 105 is winning the battle that nobody asked for.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 12, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »

Could KFOG dumping their South Bay transmitter have something to do with that? Regardless, it looks like Live/Alt 105 is winning the battle that nobody asked for.

It's possible -- not clear to me where the dividing line is between the SF ratings area and the South Bay one. (KFOG has done better down there than up here in recent times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 16, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
News to me, altho' it apparently has been going on since January (!): KPIG is back on 1510 AM. Supposed to be "temporary", but here we are in August and it's still there. Apparently the contract to air Chinese programming there ran out, and Mapleton (KPIG's longtime owner) is in the process of selling it and a bunch of other stations. Enjoy while you can. Nice to have another interesting preset choice in the car.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 29, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »
For those who have HD receivers: Due to scant 1) listenership and 2) ad revenue iHeart has shut down the HD channels KYLD-HD2(Evolution)/HD3(Alt), KISQ-HD2(Jammin Oldies) and KMEL-HD2(American Top40). They've also turned off the transmission of certain HD channels in other markets, like NYC, too.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 29, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »
So, earlier this week, channel 2 news reported that KFOG will be no more as of 9/6, and will be simulcasting KNBR from then on.

Probably somewhere else in the posts I'm way behind on...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: September 02, 2019, 12:21:51 PM »

It's possible -- not clear to me where the dividing line is between the SF ratings area and the South Bay one. (KFOG has done better down there than up here in recent times)

Per a couple of the KFOG post-mortems this week, losing the South Bay station (KFFG) was indeed a big reason why their ratings dropped drastically in June. So, either Cumulus didn't realize that would happen, or they expected it to and didn't care.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1478 on: September 05, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
So, earlier this week, channel 2 news reported that KFOG will be no more as of 9/6, and will be simulcasting KNBR from then on.

Probably somewhere else in the posts I'm way behind on...

Good to see you Rod!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 27, 2019, 03:29:27 PM »
I've been listening to 96.5 HD-2 a lot the last week...but it's just not connecting for me. The first few weeks they played a lot of AAA standards from the past decade but recently they've been moving away from that and getting more and more vanilla, and their recurrents/golds -- while AAA friendly -- are mostly songs that were also gigantic on Pop/Hot AC and you could still probably hear on Alice...or even KOIT (i.e. Tonic - If You Could Only See.) Probably the most AAA-specific of anything they play older than two years old is Jack Johnson. Their current selection isn't huge, but it's slightly (though only slightly) better. I guess I can't complain about hearing new songs by the Raconteurs and Local Natives, though I think they still play too much Lumineers and Billie Eilish.

I'm still trying to figure out what they're doing, though. They have put a lot of effort into sweepers that are pandering to local-ness (i.e. a millenial-sounding girl's voice saying "I like to walk my dog at Golden Gate Park and see a show at the Balboa Theater!!" and using the tagline "uniquely San Francisco" even though there is really nothing unique about the playlist at all IMO) as well as a "this month in music history" sweeper which is kind of interesting. And once in awhile (usually in the evenings), I actually hear a live DJ. But their playlist is as generic as it gets and doesn't seem to lean towards any time period. So they have put effort into it, but I have no clue why someone would want to start a new milquetoast AAA format on a HD-2 frequency in 2019. Maybe they're trying to see if it's worth putting it on one of their other main frequencies, or maybe they're just throwing a bone to disenfranchised KFOG listeners.

Their website (which doesn't have much, but at least they have one) is www.96hd2.com

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: September 28, 2019, 05:57:49 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out what they're doing, though. They have put a lot of effort into sweepers that are pandering to local-ness (i.e. a millenial-sounding girl's voice saying "I like to walk my dog at Golden Gate Park and see a show at the Balboa Theater!!" and using the tagline "uniquely San Francisco"

ROTFL!!!

Seriously though, it never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there who, upon hearing what 96.5 HD-2 is all about, would get super-excited about it. I'm just not sure that they'd be listening to HD-2, unless they're led there by an acquaintance that is slightly more with it. So many questions!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 01, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
New ratings out: last month KNBR (still AM-only) had a 4.4. This month, KNBR-AM had a 3.7  and KNBR-FM had a .9 -- for a total of 4.6.

But the big mind-blower was The Bone, which shot up from a 3.1 to a 4.8 -- kinda unheard-of for any station to gain that much in one month. Wondering if that's some sort of typo. :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 01, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »
News to me, altho' it apparently has been going on since January (!): KPIG is back on 1510 AM. Supposed to be "temporary", but here we are in August and it's still there. Apparently the contract to air Chinese programming there ran out, and Mapleton (KPIG's longtime owner) is in the process of selling it and a bunch of other stations. Enjoy while you can. Nice to have another interesting preset choice in the car.

It appears they've pulled the plug on the AM simulcast. Noticed it today; this being the first of the month, I'm assuming it must have happened at midnight.

ETA: per a visitor post on their FB page, it happened late Sunday/Early Monday.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:36:19 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: December 19, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »
KOIT 96.5 flipped to all Christmas a few weeks ago, as usual. However, they put their regular programming on HD-3 and kept "96.5 HD-2 Different" on HD2. It's pretty clear they want to keep their HD AAA around, for some reason.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 13, 2020, 01:08:11 PM »
KOIT 96.5 flipped to all Christmas a few weeks ago, as usual. However, they put their regular programming on HD-3 and kept "96.5 HD-2 Different" on HD2. It's pretty clear they want to keep their HD AAA around, for some reason.

They've expanded to KUFX-HD2 (98.5-2) as well.