Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 84864 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »
Here's a new question 7 from Ken Jennings that is music related:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these hit songs?  "As Tears Go By," "Boom Clap," "Celebration," "Chiquitita," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Heroes," "I'll Never Break Your Heart," "Ring of Fire," "She Loves You," "Shock the Monkey."

(I won't get the answer until next Tuesday, just so you know)

I think I have this one -- each of the songs was recorded in a non-English language by the original artist. I know that Heroes, She Loves You and Shock The Monkey were all recorded in German (as was I Want to Hold Your Hand, which Jennings doesn't mention). And a quick web search reveals that several of the others have been as well (Ring of Fire in Spanish, As Tears Go By in Italian, and De Do Do Do etc. in Spanish and Japanese).

I think we have a winner! (ABBA did a Spanish version of "Chiquitita")
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »
I think you do have it Urth.  I'll verify next Tuesday.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
idea for a game show to pitch to a desperate cable channel: "Are You Smarter than a Jeopardy Winner?"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
Here's a new question 7 from Ken Jennings that is music related:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these hit songs?  "As Tears Go By," "Boom Clap," "Celebration," "Chiquitita," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Heroes," "I'll Never Break Your Heart," "Ring of Fire," "She Loves You," "Shock the Monkey."

(I won't get the answer until next Tuesday, just so you know)

I think I have this one -- each of the songs was recorded in a non-English language by the original artist. I know that Heroes, She Loves You and Shock The Monkey were all recorded in German (as was I Want to Hold Your Hand, which Jennings doesn't mention). And a quick web search reveals that several of the others have been as well (Ring of Fire in Spanish, As Tears Go By in Italian, and De Do Do Do etc. in Spanish and Japanese).

ayup!

per KJ: "After the original artist recorded each one in English, he/she/they recorded a foreign-language version for another market.  Para otro mercado distinto!"
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010