Author Topic: KBCO, 5/6/08: 1968!!!  (Read 3934 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO, 5/6/08: 1968!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »
wow, first really overplayed/cliche track (Cream) and we're at song #8! (well, unless you think of "Ride My seesaw" that way)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Didn't Dave run a Space Food Sticks ad in a recent set? Man those things were weird. Kind of like a Tootsie Roll, but softer.

so, were they sweet and dessert-y? or did they, um, "taste like chicken"?

They were sweet--flavors like chocolate, orange, and I think maple or something similar. It was the 60s, and sugar was king in kids' snacks. See also: Pop Tarts.

You can find anything on the Interweb:

http://www.spacefoodsticks.com/spacefood/history.html

They came in chocolate, caramel (that must be what I remembered as maple), malt, mint, orange, and peanut butter.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 09:31:28 AM »
Didn't Dave run a Space Food Sticks ad in a recent set? Man those things were weird. Kind of like a Tootsie Roll, but softer.

so, were they sweet and dessert-y? or did they, um, "taste like chicken"?

They were sweet--flavors like chocolate, orange, and I think maple or something similar. It was the 60s, and sugar was king in kids' snacks. See also: Pop Tarts.

what I do remember was the first attempt at putting freeze-dried fruit in cereal: bananas, strawberries, peaches, blueberries. They're doing it again -- presumably the technology has improved in 40 years -- but damn it was awful. After 5 minutes the fruit would disintegrate into mush. yuck.

VHM Jim and his lazy diamond-studded flunkies. We heard this from Bob last week, no?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 09:31:42 AM »
"Love Street" is rapidly becoming an across-the-board favorite.  The previously played Grace certainly enjoyed taking Jim across the board, according to her memoirs.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »
VHM Charlton and Kim Stanley.  and another VHM Traffic.  Bob and Ginger made my morning -- I feel no guilt about skipping out on Dave's '89 set.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
OMG! I *loved* "Whip'n'Chill", Ginger! (it was sorta a poor man's version of mousse). "Jello 1-2-3"... notsomuch.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
OMG! I *loved* "Whip'n'Chill", Ginger! (it was sorta a poor man's version of mousse). "Jello 1-2-3"... notsomuch.

I remember both of those as well. I kinda dug Jello 1-2-3, but I think much of the appeal was visual--the way it separated into different layers when you put it in the fridge to set. The flavor was just repurposed jello.
Let's get right to it.