Author Topic: KA-BOOM!  (Read 28273 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
So I got an e-mail today announcing this year's KaBoom. No bands, just dates (May 12, the usual location). Oh and one other thing: This year they're charging admission. Ten bucks a pop, all ages. Plus a buck a ticket and $3 per order for Ticketbastard fees. Not a huge price, but not as good as free.

Hmmm...and you say they have new owners since last year. Think there's a connection? Lots of stations charge for their big promotional shows, but since this one's always been free some folks might see this as a big bite. Of course, you'll still be able to watch from the surrounding area for nada.
Wonder what capacity works out to for those two piers? 30K? More?

Foghead presale starts tomorrow.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 09:01:41 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
So I got an e-mail today announcing this year's KaBoom. No bands, just dates (May 12, the usual location). Oh and one other thing: This year they're charging admission. Ten bucks a pop, all ages. Plus a buck a ticket and $3 per order for Ticketbastard fees. Not a huge price, but not as good as free.

Hmmm...and you say they have new owners since last year. Think there's a connection? Lots of stations charge for their big promotional shows, but since this one's always been free some folks might see this as a big bite. Of course, you'll still be able to watch from the surrounding area for nada.

Ya beat me (I just read the email) and... my thoughts exactly. No way it's a coincidence that this is the first KaBoom with the new owners. It will be interesting to hear the Foghead reaction (and whether dissenting views will be presented on-air).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Ya beat me (I just read the email) and... my thoughts exactly. No way it's a coincidence that this is the first KaBoom with the new owners. It will be interesting to hear the Foghead reaction (and whether dissenting views will be presented on-air).

Family of four only $47.
I deleted the email.
No way no how will there be on air dissent. Dave won't even publicly acknowledge other 10@10 shows or online streams.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »
follow-up email with this year's bands came today (did they mention this on-air yet?):

1. Kenny Wayne Shepherd, 2. Guster and 3. Ozomatli.

1. Yawn, 2. Yawn, and 3. Not bad but rather see 'em at Slims.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 06:21:33 PM »
follow-up email with this year's bands came today (did they mention this on-air yet?):

1. Kenny Wayne Shepherd, 2. Guster and 3. Ozomatli.

1. Yawn, 2. Yawn, and 3. Not bad but rather see 'em at Slims.

I think Ozomatli might be up to playing the Warfield by now, but otherwise I am SO in agreement with you. I'm gonna hang on to my ten bucks, thank you anyway.

I would be quite surprised if they took on-air debate on the subject of charging admission. Not gonna happen. Still, it'll probably sell out, mostly to the people who don't go out to any other shows during the year.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »
Yeah, I would skip that too.  You can see the fireworks from a second-story bar on Beale Street, as I did one year with Brandon and Victor. (Mark, were you with us?)

And fwiw, next week's Voice gives a RAVE review to the new Ozo.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Yeah, I would skip that too.  You can see the fireworks from a second-story bar on Beale Street, as I did one year with Brandon and Victor. (Mark, were you with us?)

And fwiw, next week's Voice gives a RAVE review to the new Ozo.

They just played Guster, but Renee didn't say "appearing at KaBoom" in her backannounce, so I guess this info is Registered Foghead Only right now and hasn't been mentioned on-air.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »
well, they're officially talking about Kaboom on-air, including the named bands.  But interestingly, they're saying that the fireworks themselves will be "longer", meaning I guess 25-30 minutes instead of the traditional 20 or so.  So that makes them worth 10 bucks, I guess :wink:

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
well, they're officially talking about Kaboom on-air, including the named bands.  But interestingly, they're saying that the fireworks themselves will be "longer", meaning I guess 25-30 minutes instead of the traditional 20 or so.  So that makes them worth 10 bucks, I guess :wink:

It sure seems to me like they're soft-pedalling the KaBoom promos more than they have in past years. Dave read a promo during the morning show, but didn't mention the bands or anything, just the date, and referred everyone to the front page of the KFOG website. Guess they're a bit gunshy about taking too much heat for charging money for it this year.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »

It sure seems to me like they're soft-pedalling the KaBoom promos more than they have in past years. Dave read a promo during the morning show, but didn't mention the bands or anything, just the date, and referred everyone to the front page of the KFOG website. Guess they're a bit gunshy about taking too much heat for charging money for it this year.

I'm waiting for somebody to do the headline "Cumulus Clouds Free Kaboom"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »
Guess I'm slow, but I just realized that Kenny Wayne Shepherd is the headliner this year--I'd thought for some reason that it was Ozomatli. And given that KWS sold fewer than a thousand tickets when he played the Warfield last month (capacity 2200), I think maybe they should have been.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »
Guess I'm slow, but I just realized that Kenny Wayne Shepherd is the headliner this year--I'd thought for some reason that it was Ozomatli. And given that KWS sold fewer than a thousand tickets when he played the Warfield last month (capacity 2200), I think maybe they should have been.

Interesting that they're charging 10 bucks for one of the weakest Kaboom lineups.  Crowd control should not be a problem this year.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »

Interesting that they're charging 10 bucks for one of the weakest Kaboom lineups.  Crowd control should not be a problem this year.

Just for the sake of argument...first of all, KWS is a repeat headliner, so he can't really be weaker than he was 3 albums ago can he (or would you rather have Train)?  Second of all, Ozomatli is by far the best opening act I can recall (Keller Williams anybody?), and 3rd of all Guster is likewise at least as good a 2nd act as any I can think of.  Last year it was K.T. Tunstal, which wasn't bad, but Guster is better (imho).

Like I said, that was just for the sake of argument.  I think KWS is still a very weak choice, and am disappointed that I won't see anything better.   I'll probably cough up the $10 bucks just to see Guster & Ozomatli, and sit through Kenny Wayne just to keep my seat for the fireworks.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2007, 10:39:46 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Just for the sake of argument...first of all, KWS is a repeat headliner, so he can't really be weaker than he was 3 albums ago can he (or would you rather have Train)?  Second of all, Ozomatli is by far the best opening act I can recall (Keller Williams anybody?), and 3rd of all Guster is likewise at least as good a 2nd act as any I can think of.  Last year it was K.T. Tunstal, which wasn't bad, but Guster is better (imho).

Like I said, that was just for the sake of argument.  I think KWS is still a very weak choice, and am disappointed that I won't see anything better.   I'll probably cough up the $10 bucks just to see Guster & Ozomatli, and sit through Kenny Wayne just to keep my seat for the fireworks.

I meant weak in terms of collective record sales/popularity, not artistic quality.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KA-BOOM!
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »
So, with only four days until KaBoom...has anyone here made plans to attend?  I'd like to go to see Ozomatli & Guster, and I'm willing to sit through KWS to have agood seat for the fireworks.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010