Author Topic: 27 Feb 2008: 1983 redux  (Read 7350 times)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Feb 2008: 1983 redux
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:45:25 AM »
proxy post of gaz: "would that we could hear "Holiday Road" in its entirety" rather than as part of a movie clip.
What's Holiday Road?  Something in "Vacation"?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »
proxy post of gaz: "would that we could hear "Holiday Road" in its entirety" rather than as part of a movie clip.
What's Holiday Road?  Something in "Vacation"?

Lindsay Buckingham -- we heard a snippet of the song at the top of the movie clip. A great little pop single that shoulda been a bigger hit.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »
Sounds like mostly a set that I don't mind missing at all. But I've been waiting for DM to pull out Family Man for ages. Might have to listen to the replay for that alone.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
Sounds like mostly a set that I don't mind missing at all. But I've been waiting for DM to pull out Family Man for ages. Might have to listen to the replay for that alone.

02/27/2008 - Wednesday! The Big Wheel stops on...1983!!!

1.  Robert Palmer - You Are in My System   
2.  Madness - Our House   
3.  Don Henley - Nobody's Business   
4.  Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know?   
5.  Ultravox - Reap the Wild Wind   
6.  Marillion - He Knows, You Know   
7.  Prince - Delirious   
8.  Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) (BEST OF SET!!)   
9.  Hall & Oates - Family Man   
10.  Jackson Browne - Tender is the Night   

BONUS TRACK:  Genesis - Silver Rainbow

Turns out the Robert Palmer has only been played once before. If Dave had avoided "Our House" and Marillion, this might almost be worth recording. He's done worse '83 sets, fer shurr.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 02:31:16 PM »

02/27/2008 - Wednesday! The Big Wheel stops on...1983!!!

1.  Robert Palmer - You Are in My System   
2.  Madness - Our House   
3.  Don Henley - Nobody's Business   
4.  Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know?   
5.  Ultravox - Reap the Wild Wind   
6.  Marillion - He Knows, You Know   
7.  Prince - Delirious   
8.  Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) (BEST OF SET!!)   
9.  Hall & Oates - Family Man   
10.  Jackson Browne - Tender is the Night   

BONUS TRACK:  Genesis - Silver Rainbow

Turns out the Robert Palmer has only been played once before. If Dave had avoided "Our House" and Marillion, this might almost be worth recording. He's done worse '83 sets, fer shurr.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  But what a downer those two songs were for me.  I was listening while driving & actually flipped stations as soon as "Our House" came on.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
I may have asked this last time he played it, but does anyone remember hearing the Marillion track *in* '83? I sure don't -- total Narada for me, I never heard of them until 2 years later when "Kayleigh" came along.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »
I may have asked this last time he played it, but does anyone remember hearing the Marillion track *in* '83? I sure don't -- total Narada for me, I never heard of them until 2 years later when "Kayleigh" came along.

Hard to say--I know I'd heard it in '84, as they were the first band I ever saw at the Fillmore (an odd distinction, I know), and I want to say that was March of that year. But I was a big prog geek at that point, so I may have been ahead of the curve.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »

Not me, I think I didn't hear them until "Kayleigh" also, and must say I never much liked them even though I had a roommate once with all their albums.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

You and me both.

As for Marillion - I was aware of the album title Script for a Jester's Tear but not of the songs themselves.  What year was that?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

You and me both.

As for Marillion - I was aware of the album title Script for a Jester's Tear but not of the songs themselves.  What year was that?

That was the album that had He Knows, You Know, so released in 83, probably got a little more notice in 84.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:04:05 PM »

You and me both.

That was the album that had He Knows, You Know, so released in 83, probably got a little more notice in 84.

and that remains one of the most hilariously pretentious album titles of all time -- positively Spinal Tap-ian.

SFGuy

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the Mutha of all '83 Katrinas from Madness.

A lot of you don't like this song but I actually like it. I guess it's because Madness is part of my generation of the early to mid 80's. I remember Madness doing an autograph signing at the old Record Factory on Parker Ave/Geary Blvd. in SF and it drew a ton of high school kids, a lot more people then other acts from that era like Quarterflash, Howard Jones and Berlin.

SFGuy

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »
Ahh the lovely (and hot, as we found out later) Vanessa Williams.  I guess she got the last laugh on "Ugly Betty".

Ahh Vanessa Williams. I remember I had to sneak a peak at Penthouse to see her because I was under 18 at the time.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the Mutha of all '83 Katrinas from Madness.

A lot of you don't like this song but I actually like it. I guess it's because Madness is part of my generation of the early to mid 80's. I remember Madness doing an autograph signing at the old Record Factory on Parker Ave/Geary Blvd. in SF and it drew a ton of high school kids, a lot more people then other acts from that era like Quarterflash, Howard Jones and Berlin.

That Record Factory became Wherehouse years later, right?

"Our House" is a great song, it just succumbed to some degree of overkill.  But yeah, just focus on how snappy that arrangement is.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:04 PM »
OMFG!!! BOS5 and proxy of shray, H&O, "Family Man"!  A bustout!

Haha, this brings back memories.  When this came out, I was playing my new Atari 2600 pretty much constantly, and this song's choppy riffs totally sound like circa-2600 effects.