Author Topic: 7 February 2008--it's 1992  (Read 13201 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 7 February 2008--it's 1992
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
News flash - Romney just dropped out!

And in doing so accused Obama and Clinton quite directly of "surrendering to terror," whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.  Good riddance, Rom-bot.
Rommy: You can't buy your way into the White House. Your cash ain't nuthin but trash.
(I was late to the forum here today getting tix for Steve Miller/Robben Ford at the Fillmore).

I *love* the Muppet that Colbert uses as his picture of Romney whenever Mitt's name comes up:

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »
Hey Mike, for some reason your avatar has gone south. Everyone elses' seem to be OK, but for yours, I'm seeing just the little red x.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »
Hey Mike, for some reason your avatar has gone south. Everyone elses' seem to be OK, but for yours, I'm seeing just the little red x.

It comes & goes, I switched to a web-based one (for Valentine's Day) rather than an uploaded one.  I'll fix it tonite. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
02/07/2008 - Thursday! Early '90's...1992!!!

1.  Smithereens - Too Much Passion   
2.  U2 - Even Better Than the Real Thing   
3.  Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give it Away   
4.  Dada - Dizz Knee Land   
5.  Nirvana - Come As You Are   
6.  Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy   
7.  Shawn Colvin - Object of My Affection   
8.  k.d. lang - Constant Craving   
9.  Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (BEST OF SET!!)   
10.  INXS - Not Enough Time   

BONUS TRACK:  Paul Westerberg - Dyslexic Heart

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »
This song, along with "Purple Haze," was frequently covered live by Jaco Pastorius. Part of the guitar chorus melody has been quoted on other records, amongst them The Amboy Dukes ("Baby, Please Don't Go"), Cozy Powell ("Dance With The Devil"), Weather Report ("Slang"), The Allman Brothers ("Mountain Jam"), DEVO (a cover of Hendrix's "Are You Experienced"), and Right Said Fred ("I'm Too Sexy").
hmmm...I've listened to 3rd Stone and Mountain Jam uncountable times, and not sure what wiki is talking about.  Does anyone else know?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
OF COURSE Dave has the Spanish version of Right Said Fred--think who we're talking about here!!!

;) ;) ;)

How many years has it been since Dave did an all-foreign-language set?  He used to do them yearly in the late '90s ...

WTF?  That is news to me and I rarely miss a show.

I know I'm not inventing this!  Dave did this at least 3 times in the late '90s; I figured it was a recurrent.  Artists like Peter Grabriel, the Police, Kool & the Gang, who recorded their hits in foreign languages (some of which were issued as B-sides).  Anyone got my back on this?!  :-\
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
OF COURSE Dave has the Spanish version of Right Said Fred--think who we're talking about here!!!

;) ;) ;)

How many years has it been since Dave did an all-foreign-language set?  He used to do them yearly in the late '90s ...

I know I'm not inventing this!  Dave did this at least 3 times in the late '90s; I figured it was a recurrent.  Artists like Peter Grabriel, the Police, Kool & the Gang, who recorded their hits in foreign languages (some of which were issued as B-sides).  Anyone got my back on this?!  :-\
Oh Mickey you're so fine en espanol.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »
Oh Mickey you're so fine en espanol.

Oh! Mickey! ¿Como estas?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
I seem to remember hearing Sting sing Little Wing (say that fast five times!) in Spanish.  Was that a 10@10?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 07:24:03 AM »

;) ;) ;)

*If* he did it, it was maybe once, No way it happened 3 times; I could not possibly have forgotten such a thing.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
I seem to remember hearing Sting sing Little Wing (say that fast five times!) in Spanish.  Was that a 10@10?

I remember this at least once.  Beatles & Gabriel in German, Sting & Toni Basil in Spanish, etc.  I think I even have a tape somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:00:50 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »

I remember this at least once.  Beatles & Gabriel in German, Sting & Toni Basil in Spanish, etc.  I think I even have a tape somewhere.

yeah, you're jogging my memory now. David Lee Roth singing en espanol.

ETA: Yep--he recorded nearly his entire Eat 'em and Smile album in Spanish (Sonrisa Salvaje).

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:w9fixqt5ldte
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:01:34 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 11:26:08 AM »

;) ;) ;)

I have a 10at10 foreign language set on tape, stashed in a box somewhere, from perhaps 8-10 years ago.