Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/04/08  (Read 7719 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/04/08
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »
"This one's a mutha! Hit it!" CGSS plays the Pasadenas fabulous history-of-soul-music groove, "Tribute" -- how shameful that this was not a US hit.

"Payback
James Brown
How he slides
I don't know..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »
Hoo Lawd! Ms Millie jackson sez "mah man, he a SWEET man!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:42 AM »
Today's Kasem goes back to Feb. 11, 1978, and we've already heard two tracks that deserved much better: War's "Galaxy" (debut at 40, to peak next week at 39) and Donna Summer's "I Love You" (at its peak of 37).  Casey teases that someone's got three records on the chart - I'm guessing Bee Gees.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 08:30:35 AM »
Loved hearing the former No. 1 "Baby Come Back."  Not so much Dan Hill, choking on his reply (as are we).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »
At No. 5, Billy Joel don't want clever conversation.  Maybe he should talk to Dan Hill.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
I'm wincing at the memory of my 5-year-old self having a novelty T-shirt that said "Up With Short People."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »
Casey teases that someone's got three records on the chart - I'm guessing Bee Gees.

Ding Ding Ding!

I caught up on some needed sleep and woke up in time for "Peg" at #15. I'll catch up with the other hours tonite and tomorrow, but it was a delight to hear Shaun Cassidy's "Hey Deanie", his 2nd Eric Carmen cover in a row at that point (Carmen would do his own version a year or 2 later).  The Dan Hill is one of those rare ballads that was actually improved by a dance remake (by I-forget-who) in the late '90s.  Can't wait to hear BOTH versions of the Close Encounters theme.

My fave chart trivia of the week: LeBlanc & Carr's "Falling" and Paul Davis' "I Go Crazy" would both spend many weeks on the Hot 100 that year. "Falling" debuted in the 40 in what was already its 18th week on the chart; "I Go Crazy" was in its 25th week (!) as it moved up to #14. "Falling" would peak at 13, spending a total of 28 weeks on the chart; "Crazy" peaked at 7, racking up a total of 40 weeks, which was a record at the time iirc.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 11:08:54 AM »
Casey teases that someone's got three records on the chart - I'm guessing Bee Gees.

Ding Ding Ding!

I caught up on some needed sleep and woke up in time for "Peg" at #15. I'll catch up with the other hours tonite and tomorrow, but it was a delight to hear Shaun Cassidy's "Hey Deanie", his 2nd Eric Carmen cover in a row at that point (Carmen would do his own version a year or 2 later).  The Dan Hill is one of those rare ballads that was actually improved by a dance remake (by I-forget-who) in the late '90s.  Can't wait to hear BOTH versions of the Close Encounters theme.

My fave chart trivia of the week: LeBlanc & Carr's "Falling" and Paul Davis' "I Go Crazy" would both spend many weeks on the Hot 100 that year. "Falling" debuted in the 40 in what was already its 18th week on the chart; "I Go Crazy" was in its 25th week (!) as it moved up to #14. "Falling" would peak at 13, spending a total of 28 weeks on the chart; "Crazy" peaked at 7, racking up a total of 40 weeks, which was a record at the time iirc.

I had no idea about LeBlanc & Carr's chart run (I'm always impressed by those slow burns; they're such a rarity now), but I did know about Davis's, and you are correct; that record would be broken by "Tainted Love."  (Whose run was then broken by Synch's "Where Are You Now," which shouldn't count b/c it was two separate chart runs; and then topped in the late '90s many times over.)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

Ding Ding Ding!

I had no idea about LeBlanc & Carr's chart run (I'm always impressed by those slow burns; they're such a rarity now), but I did know about Davis's, and you are correct; that record would be broken by "Tainted Love."  (Whose run was then broken by Synch's "Where Are You Now," which shouldn't count b/c it was two separate chart runs; and then topped in the late '90s many times over.)

And I forgot "How Deep is Your Love" which spent 33 weeks on the Hot 100 -- it's last week on the chart was in MAY! 

I must say I barely remembered either of the "Close Encounters" versions; neither got much NYC airplay. But OTOH, "Native New Yorker" was *huge* in the city; guess the rest of the country was less than enthused, since it peaked at 21.

BTW, my copy of Whitburn (which stops at 1993) says Synch's combined chart runs add up to 36 weeks -- did it chart a 3rd time in the 90s? Chubby Checkers' 2 runs with "The Twist" add up to 39 weeks; Soft Cell were on for 43.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »
JJ has been slammin' tonite -- Willie Hutch, "Brotha's Gonna Work It Out", South Shore Commission, "Free Man", Ashford & Simpson's "Send It" and (OMG!) Billy Paul's "Let's Make a Baby".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »

Ding Ding Ding!

And I forgot "How Deep is Your Love" which spent 33 weeks on the Hot 100 -- it's last week on the chart was in MAY! 

I must say I barely remembered either of the "Close Encounters" versions; neither got much NYC airplay. But OTOH, "Native New Yorker" was *huge* in the city; guess the rest of the country was less than enthused, since it peaked at 21.

BTW, my copy of Whitburn (which stops at 1993) says Synch's combined chart runs add up to 36 weeks -- did it chart a 3rd time in the 90s? Chubby Checkers' 2 runs with "The Twist" add up to 39 weeks; Soft Cell were on for 43.

Hmm.  Perhaps I've misremembered on the Synch record.  Wish I could remember where I'd heard that from.  I don't think it had a third charting.

For frame of reference: There are 7 songs on the current Hot 100 with chart runs of 30+ weeks:
http://acharts.us/billboard_hot_100

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »
For frame of reference: There are 7 songs on the current Hot 100 with chart runs of 30+ weeks:

Wow that's scary -- I was sick of Colbie Caillet after *two* weeks ;) Or as I collectively refer to that gaggle of soundalike women: Corrinne Colbie Feist.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »

Wow that's scary -- I was sick of Colbie Caillet after *two* weeks ;) Or as I collectively refer to that gaggle of soundalike women: Corrinne Colbie Feist.

But you have to admit: "Will you count me in?" was damn cute.

Grammys for a different thread, natch.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 07:47:01 AM »

But you have to admit: "Will you count me in?" was damn cute.

And which one was that?

"cute" multiplied by 5 (the number of these women that KFOG was playing, at last count) is sugar-shock-inducing.