Author Topic: Fast Times At Ridgemont High Trivia  (Read 5181 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Fast Times At Ridgemont High Trivia
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
Ginger played a clip between Mr. Hand & Jeff Spicoli today and on the back announce mentioned how unlikely it would have been to predict Sean Penn going on to win an Oscar.

But at least he was the star of the film.  

Other than Sean Penn, identify each of the following people involved in the film:

A.) One of the supporting characters, already had a Tony award & went on to collect a pair of Emmy's
B.) One of the featured characters, got an Emmy nom for an appearance on Seinfeld.
C.) One of the featured characters, won a Golden Globe as part of a ensemble cast & got another nom for Leading Role performance.
D.) One of the featured characters, got married and stopped acting, but spouse went on to win an Oscar.
E.) One of the featured characters, won a Tony in a Woody Allen play (this is undoubtedly a stumper, I never knew it until I came across it on IMDB)
F.) A bit part, went on to win a Best Actor Oscar and later got a second nom in that category.  Changed name after FT@RH so as not to ride coattails of famous relatives, is related to at least 4 Oscar winners & nominees.
G.) A bit part, went on to win a Best Actor Oscar in his only nom, for a performance that also swept the Golden Globe, BAFTA, National Board of Review, LA, NY & Washington Film Critics Circle awards.
H.) A bit part (no lines even), went on to win a Golden Globe and an Emmy, multiple noms in each category, for role on one of the longest running primetime dramas ever.
I.) A bit part, went on to a Golden Globe nom a couple years later and lengthy TV & movie career, perhaps most memorably for appearance in Pulp Fiction.
J.) On the production side, didn't appear in the film, but went on to win an Oscar & a Grammy, future spouse had a cameo & went on to collect 2 Billboard number 1's.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
As the resident film ignoramus, I'll get the only one I know out of the way: (F.) = Nicky Cage (ne Coppola).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
As the resident film ignoramus, I'll get the only one I know out of the way: (F.) = Nicky Cage (ne Coppola).

correct of course, I think you responded before I added J.), and keep in mind that there were only 6 featured characters: Spicoli, Brad, his sister Linda, her friend Stacy, Damone & Rat.  Remove Spicoli & all but one of these is the answer to a question above.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »
D) Phoebe Cates
G) Forest Whittaker
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
D) Phoebe Cates
G) Forest Whittaker

yep, yep.

Been swapping emails with Ginger, she just told me that (I.) was also the 1st choice to play Marty McFly before losing out to Michael J. Fox.  Would have been a completely different movie with him, I think.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
D) Phoebe Cates
G) Forest Whittaker

yep, yep.

Been swapping emails with Ginger, she just told me that (I.) was also the 1st choice to play Marty McFly before losing out to Michael J. Fox.  Would have been a completely different movie with him, I think.

Which means I) is Eric Stolz -- they had actually started filming scenes with him and Zemeckis fired him and hired Fox.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
D) Phoebe Cates
G) Forest Whittaker

yep, yep.

Which means I) is Eric Stolz -- they had actually started filming scenes with him and Zemeckis fired him and hired Fox.

Yep.  He went to high school in Santa Barbara with H.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Fast Times At Ridgemont High Trivia
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:50:45 AM »
I've never seen the film.  Is it actually good?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 12:21:11 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I've never seen the film.  Is it actually good?

One of the best of its kind ever made, I daresay.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:48:33 PM »
Is (B.) Judge Reinhold?  I wouldn't have thought his close-talker/parent-befriender was Emmy material ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Is (B.) Judge Reinhold?  I wouldn't have thought his close-talker/parent-befriender was Emmy material ...

Yep!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:39 AM »
Ginger played a clip between Mr. Hand & Jeff Spicoli today and on the back announce mentioned how unlikely it would have been to predict Sean Penn going on to win an Oscar.

But at least he was the star of the film.  

Other than Sean Penn, identify each of the following people involved in the film:

A.) One of the supporting characters, already had a Tony award & went on to collect a pair of Emmy's
B.) One of the featured characters, got an Emmy nom for an appearance on Seinfeld.
C.) One of the featured characters, won a Golden Globe as part of a ensemble cast & got another nom for Leading Role performance.
D.) One of the featured characters, got married and stopped acting, but spouse went on to win an Oscar.
E.) One of the featured characters, won a Tony in a Woody Allen play (this is undoubtedly a stumper, I never knew it until I came across it on IMDB)
F.) A bit part, went on to win a Best Actor Oscar and later got a second nom in that category.  Changed name after FT@RH so as not to ride coattails of famous relatives, is related to at least 4 Oscar winners & nominees.
G.) A bit part, went on to win a Best Actor Oscar in his only nom, for a performance that also swept the Golden Globe, BAFTA, National Board of Review, LA, NY & Washington Film Critics Circle awards.
H.) A bit part (no lines even), went on to win a Golden Globe and an Emmy, multiple noms in each category, for role on one of the longest running primetime dramas ever.
I.) A bit part, went on to a Golden Globe nom a couple years later and lengthy TV & movie career, perhaps most memorably for appearance in Pulp Fiction.
J.) On the production side, didn't appear in the film, but went on to win an Oscar & a Grammy, future spouse had a cameo & went on to collect 2 Billboard number 1's.

Forgot to update this with all the answers until now.

B, D, F, G & I were already guessed. 

A is Ray (my favorite martian) Walston, who had a Tony for Damn Yankees way back when, and a couple of Emmy's as the Judge on Picket Fences (great, great show).
C is Jennifer Jason Leigh whose noms were for Short Cuts & Mrs. Parker, and, as Ken Jennings quizzed last week, also the daughter of the late Vic Morrow.
E is Brian Backer (Rat) who won a Tony in the Woody Allen play The Floating Light Bulb shortly after wrapping production on FTaRH.
H is Anthony (ER's Dr. Mark Greene) Edwards; he & his real life high school buddy Eric Stoltz were the stoner dudes who tumble of out of a van with Spicoli at one point.
J is screenwriter Cameron Crowe, who married Heart's Nancy Wilson (she's the blonde who pulls up alongside Brad's car & laughs at him in his pirate uniform) and not only won an Oscar for Jerry Maguire, but also a Grammy for the Singles soundtrack.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:51:59 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010