Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404061 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »
Paging Sundaygal, and any other closet Durannies in these parts. DD is playing the Fillmore again, on Sat. April 16. Tickets on sale this Sunday. Info here:
http://www.livenation.com/event/1C004659F5A76174?artistid=734969&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60
Don't I know it!  I even went on the Duran Duran website to see if I could snag a presale password, but you apparently have to join the fanclub at an annual fee of $35.  WTF???

Speaking of DD, Simon LeBon tweeted the Oscars on Sunday with amusing results. Details here:
http://www.ology.com/humor/last-night-simon-le-bon-tweets-oscars-edition
Ah, Simon Le Bon - so witty and still gorgeous after all these years.  The beard is quite becoming, I must say.  :)

But what is it becoming?   :P

(Loved his commentary.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 03, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
Lord have mercy Clapton was big fun! I am still feeling giddy.  I only spent $$ for parking, a very decent $20 t-shirt in the parking lot and a program on my way out.  My bar tab got picked up by a nice stranger. Los Lobos were great as well. I had more fun being there by myself than I would have had with anyone else there.  I posted a picture on FB of the set list some guy handed me and copied it here.

Key to the highway
Going down slow
Hoochie Coochie
Old Love
I Shot the Sheriff
Driftin
Noobody knows you
River runs deep
When somebody thinks
Same old blues
Layla
Badge
Wonderful tonight
Before you accuse me
Queen of spades
Cocaine
Further on up the road
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:02 AM »
My bar tab got picked up by a nice stranger.

:o  Hope hubby doesn't read this board...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 03, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »

:o  Hope hubby doesn't read this board...
I hope he'd be proud of me saving money. I had 5 beverages plus tips. I think my bartender was happy. I'll be seeing her tonight! Go Sharks.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »

:o  Hope hubby doesn't read this board...
I hope he'd be proud of me saving money. I had 5 beverages plus tips. I think my bartender was happy. I'll be seeing her tonight! Go Sharks.

Wow, quite the generous stranger, particularly at arena prices. Glad you had fun!
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 03, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »

:o  Hope hubby doesn't read this board...

Wow, quite the generous stranger, particularly at arena prices. Glad you had fun!

Why is it nobody ever picks up my drinks?   :P

Trower tonight at the Fillmore with a group of friends.  We're meeting at Tommy's Joynt at 6.  Very excited.  I haven't been to a show in a while.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 03, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »

Trower tonight at the Fillmore with a group of friends.  We're meeting at Tommy's Joynt at 6.  Very excited.  I haven't been to a show in a while.

OK, my new mission in life is to drag Gaz & RG Mike over there after our documentary tonight.  I've never seen Trower & always wanted to.  Rod: call my cell at (small caution - SJ area code - 386-8609)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 03, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »

OK, my new mission in life is to drag Gaz & RG Mike over there after our documentary tonight.  I've never seen Trower & always wanted to.  Rod: call my cell at (small caution - SJ area code - 386-8609)

You're coming tonite? Cool. But count me out for apres-film. I get up at 6am.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 08, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
Paul Simon at Davies Symphony Hall SF April 25 and the Fox Theater Oakland April 26.
Presale begins Thurs, see calendar: http://www.apeconcerts.com/index.cfm

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 18, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
I suppose people would go just to watch a train wreck and hecklers will try to egg him into going completely over the edge. 

Sheen's tour coming to San Francisco
Charlie Sheen’s “Violent Torpedo of Truth” road show just keeps getting bigger.  On Thursday, the unruly actor added a dozen more dates to his live tour, including a stop in San Francisco.
The “Warlock” will appear April 30 at the Nob Hill Masonic Center — the same place that hosted Conan O’Brien’s comeback tour last year. Tickets range in price from $49.50 to $89.50 and go on sale Saturday.
Sheen has not revealed the content of the show, other than to call it “the REAL story.” In a brief video posted on the Live Nation ticket site, he says, “Trolls need not apply. You all suffer from Sheen-ist envy.” “Buy your ticket, take the ride, and the ride will take you,” he adds.
Sheen's shows in Detroit, Chicago and NYC sold out quickly. As of now, the tour consists of 20 dates and extends through May 3.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2011/03/18/be-very-afraid-sheens-tour-coming-to-san-francisco/

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1270 on: March 18, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
Paul Simon at Davies Symphony Hall SF April 25 and the Fox Theater Oakland April 26.
Presale begins Thurs, see calendar: http://www.apeconcerts.com/index.cfm
I couldn't get any tix!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 18, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »
Caught Cake this week @ the SaveAlternative concert.  Fun concert!  Before, I was kind of "ehh" on them as in, I u "yeah, some of their songs are good, but...why did they release the same CD out 6 times?"  Now, I finally "get" them.  They are SO Gen-X.  The Avalon (Santa Clara) was the perfect venue for Cake, too.

Next up...OMD at the Fox next Saturday!  ;D

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 28, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
Caught Cake this week @ the SaveAlternative concert.  Fun concert!  Before, I was kind of "ehh" on them as in, I u "yeah, some of their songs are good, but...why did they release the same CD out 6 times?"  Now, I finally "get" them.  They are SO Gen-X.  The Avalon (Santa Clara) was the perfect venue for Cake, too.

Next up...OMD at the Fox next Saturday!  ;D

I heard it was great... right?

I went to "Japan Nite" at the independent last night.   OMG is was FUN.   Five bands from Japan, four all girl bands and one guy band.

Lolita No.18 - Punk, loud

Hystoic Vein - they were so good. Goth/punk/glam, the singer had a baby girl voice but the rest of the band looked like they could kick anyone's ass.

ZUKUNASISTERS - blues gospel-y Sly & Family Stone style, believe it or not.  The singer introduced herself as Tina Turner and it was apt.

JOSY - they might take their name from Josey and the Pussycats, b/c they had that vibe..  "Oh my STAAARRRSS!"

MO'SOME TONEBENDER - the only male band, I left before they came on, but I think they were the headliners.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:04:49 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 29, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
Just Announced: At Fox Theater Oakland
Buffalo Springfield w/Gillian Welch
Wed, June 1st and Thurs, June 2nd
Presale 3/31 10AM thru 4/2 11:59PM

Articles: Buffalo Springfield West Coast Dates - Pollstar
http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2011/03/29/761477.aspx
Buffalo Springfield reunion will reach L.A., Oakland in June - LA Times:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/03/buffalo-springfield-reunion-los-angeles-oakland-june.html?cid=6a00d8341c630a53ef014e60371841970c

Some other shows FYI:
Concord Pavilion: May 29: KBLX Stone Soul Picnic with The O'Jays, Charlie Wilson of The Gap Band, El DeBarge, Bell Biv Devoe, Alexander O’Neal
June 26: Rush
July 24: Dolly Parton
Oct 5: Journey/Foreigner/Night Ranger

Greek Theatre UC Berkeley:
April 22: Robert Plant & The Band of Joy
June 10: Peter Gabriel & The New Blood Orchestra
June 12: Florence & The Machine

Shoreline Amphitheatre:
May 15: System Of A Down
June 3-4: Further
June 25: Deep Purple
Sept 9: Def Leppard/Heart
Oct 15: Journey/Foreigner/Night Ranger

Fox Theater Oakland:
April 26: Paul Simon
May 8-9: Elvis Costello
June 24: My Morning Jacket
July 8-9: Widespread Panic

Paramount Theatre Oakland:
April 16: Jerry Seinfeld
May 15: Chelsea Handler
July 11: Eddie Vedder

Oracle Arena Oakland:
April 20: Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks
May 18: Rammstein
June 30: Rihanna/J.Cole/Cee Lo Green
Aug 26-27: Sade/John Legend

HP Pavilion San Jose:
May 4: Ricky Martin
May 29: Usher w/AKON
July 2: New Kids On The Block/Backstreet Boys
Aug 12: Katy Perry
Aug 25: Sade/John Legend
Sept 1-2: Taylor Swift
Oct 1: Keith Urban
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:05:36 PM by Wayback »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »
Just Announced: At Fox Theater Oakland
Buffalo Springfield w/Gillian Welch
Wed, June 1st and Thurs, June 2nd
Presale 3/31 10AM thru 4/2 11:59PM

Greek Theatre UC Berkeley:
June 10: Peter Gabriel & The New Blood Orchestra

Fox Theater Oakland:
May 8-9: Elvis Costello

These are the sacrifices I make for leaving the Bay area. That Springfield show is a must-see, assuming you didn't catch the Bridge last fall. And  I would LOVE to catch the Costello and Peter Gabriel gigs. Sorry to say none of them have the PNW on their itineraries. At this point I can't imagine I'd be able to get away to catch any of them once our farmers markets start up at the end of April, but then again, never say never.

So I'm curious who's in this edition of Deep Purple? I saw them at the Warfield a few years back with Jon Lord, Ian Gillan and maybe Ian Paice on drums (can't recall) but no Roger Glover or Richie Blackmore (natch--he's said he'll never play with them again). But they had Steve Morse on guitar, so it did not exactly suck.

Also, isn't AKON (opening for Usher at HP) the guy who did the Giants-centric parody of Don't Stop Believin' during post-season last year?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:10:59 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.