Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404113 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1140 on: September 03, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
I could've sworn we had a discussion here some time back, about whether or not Chaka Khan was a major homophobe or not, she being a big Nation of Islam/Louis Farrakhan type. ("Farra-KHAN, Farra-KHAN , let me rock you Farra-KHAN..."). Anyway she's performing at Oakland Gay Pride this wknd, so I guess she feels for gay people (or at least for their money):

http://sfist.com/2010/09/02/oakland_gay_pride_95.php
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 04, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
went to Bone Bash last night.  My friend and I had $10 lawn tickets, but I ran into a guy who works at Shoreline and he got us moved to the second row!  So we got to see ZZTop from about 10 feet away.  wheau heau!  I've always wanted to see ZZ -- Billy Gibbons is just fantaz -- so that was pretty cool.  They look really old, esp Billy, who is really thin.  nice show, but if I had to see back on the lawn w the hoi polloi, it would have been merely ok.   rough crowd overall.   (Hey, it's the Bone.) 

I saw the morning show Tonelli, shook his hand, and I got to give Super Producer Sully a hug while my friend snapped a blurry pic  of us and before Sully got kicked out of our row and sent back to his own seat.  HA.

~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 05, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »
went to Bone Bash last night.  My friend and I had $10 lawn tickets, but I ran into a guy who works at Shoreline and he got us moved to the second row!  So we got to see ZZTop from about 10 feet away.  wheau heau!  I've always wanted to see ZZ -- Billy Gibbons is just fantaz -- so that was pretty cool.  They look really old, esp Billy, who is really thin.  nice show, but if I had to see back on the lawn w the hoi polloi, it would have been merely ok.   rough crowd overall.   (Hey, it's the Bone.) 

I saw the morning show Tonelli, shook his hand, and I got to give Super Producer Sully a hug while my friend snapped a blurry pic  of us and before Sully got kicked out of our row and sent back to his own seat.  HA.

SWEET to be up there. Congrats. Up front was not the case for me last night at Shoreline. I was the proud owner of a seat in the back row. 202 row Y. There is no Z. Getting in and out meant climbing over my seat to the walkway. I had 202 row L for the whole AFI show and could see everything. Couldn't see much of anything for Green Day as I moved back to row Y but Green Day rocked. Show ended at 11 and for about the last hour I went out to the open area by the upper bathrooms and sat at a picnic table and watched on the screens out there. Aside from a Dead show, I think this was the most crowded/pack Shoreline show I have ever been to. The lawn looked to be at capacity (they were crushed together!) and I think everyone was having a great time. I didn't see or hear any trouble the whole night. Getting in and out (parking) was also an amazing breeze. I wish I could recap more of what they played but memory fails slightly. I think they both played their whole respective catalogs. Felt like a long show. Green Day had lotsa fun with covers. Beatles (Hey Jude), AC/DC (Highway to Hell), Pink Floyd (?? maybe the did Floyd), Rolling Stones, Who (Baba O'Riley) and others I'm sure. This was heir last North Amer. show and Billie Joe had a great time relating how local they are and proud to be rocking the Bay Area, their home. Made a point of saying this show and the crowd was better than Los Angeles.
All in all, a great show. Enjoyed by many generations. I saw a 60ish couple rocking, lots of parents with youngsters and tweens, and just a great variety of others.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 07, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
big weekend for live music.  In addition to the Bone Bash ROCK SHOW, I attended the Sausalito Arts Fest on Saturday and Sunday. a pleasant sunny, fairly lilly-white experience with some bad art and decent wine. We spoke about it earlier this summer -- did anyone else go .. maybe Sundaygal?

Saturday was 80s day, with Modern English, The Fixx and The Bangles.  All were fantastic, but I was really impressed with Modern English.  I was familiar with only their hit I'll Melt With You, but their other stuff was reminiscent of Echo and the Bunnymen and Wire.  They had a hired gun guitarist covered w tats, even on his face, but he was reading music from a stand and often didn't lend much to the mix.  he looked interesting though.  I guess they're trying him out..?
The Bangles looked really good.  Suzanna did the lead vox on September Gurls, Michael Steele has been out of the band for years.  The Fixx were fun, although Cy (lead singer) loves to get mystical and do dramatic hand gestures, which made us giggle.

Sunday was old(er) fogey day with Pablo Cruise, The Tubes and Dave Mason.  Pablo Cruise, well, they still rock out smoothly.  They're pros, their songs are simple and generic, but hey, they had hits.   The Tubes were hella fun!  Fee did a few costume changes, they did a bunch of favorites (except no Don't Touch Me There, b/c they didn't have a female vocalist). At the appropriate time, I held up a banana b/c I didn't have an apple.

Had to leave early so I missed Dave Mason do Only You Know and I Know or Feelin' Alright -- which I assume he did.  He voice sounds good, and he plays guitar really well.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:01:07 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 07, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
big weekend for live music.  In addition to the Bone Bash ROCK SHOW, I attended the Sausalito Arts Fest on Saturday and Sunday. a pleasant sunny, fairly lilly-white experience with some bad art and decent wine. We spoke about it earlier this summer -- did anyone else go .. maybe Sundaygal?
Saturday was 80s day, with Modern English, The Fixx and The Bangles.  All were fantastic, but I was really impressed with Modern English.  I was familiar with only their hit I'll Melt With You, but their other stuff was reminiscent of Echo and the Bunnymen and Wire.  They had a hired gun guitariust covered w tats, even on his face, but he was reading music from a stand and often didn't lend much to the mix.  he looked interesting though.  I guess they're trying him out..?
The Bangles looked really good.  Suzanna did the lead vox on September Gurls, Michael Steele has been out of the band for years.  The Fixx were fun, although Cy (lead singer) loves to get mystical and do dramatic hand gestures. which made us giggle).
Sunday was old(er) fogey day with Pablo Cruise, The Tubes and Dave Mason.  Pablo Cruise, well, they still rock out smoothly.  They're pros, their songs are simple and generic, but hey, they had hits.   The Tubes were hella fun!  Fee did a few costume changes, they did a bunch of favorites (except no Don't Touch Me There, b/c they didn't have a female vocalist). At the appropriate time, I held up a banana b/c I didn't have an apple.
Had to leave early so I missed Dave Mason do Only You Know and I Know or Feelin' Alright -- which I assume he did.  He voice sounds good, and he plays guitar really well.
Thanks for those reviews!  Was it crowded at Sausalito (Summer Night)?  Now I wish I went.  Saw Pablo Cruise last year at Alameda County Fair, got to talk with all of them after the show, and all signed my booklet from best-of CD.  Saw Dave Mason, Tubes years ago.  Would have liked to see Bangles and ZZ too!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 09, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »
Just won David Gray (and Ray LaMontagne  :-\  Although, maybe I'll turn into a fan of RL too once I see him live!) tickets for tomorrow.  And all I had to do was mention the name of David Gray's latest album.  Thanks KFOG!!!  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:06:52 AM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »
Just won David Gray (and Ray LaMontagne  :-\  Although, maybe I'll turn into a fan of RL too once I see him live!) tickets for tomorrow.  And all I had to do was mention the name of David Gray's latest album.  Thanks KFOG!!!  :D

Woo Hoo! Congrats. I liked Gray once upon a time, tho' his recent overplayed-on-KFOG stuff annoys me ("you don't have to turn the sound up/girl I want you from the ground up"? WTF does that even MEAN?) But i do love that current LaMontagne tune, with its echoes of Joni.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:54 AM »

Woo Hoo! Congrats. I liked Gray once upon a time, tho' his recent overplayed-on-KFOG stuff annoys me ("you don't have to turn the sound up/girl I want you from the ground up"? WTF does that even MEAN?) But i do love that current LaMontagne tune, with its echoes of Joni.

Thanks  ;D  I agree, his later stuff hasn't been the greatest.  But I loved Sell Sell Sell, White Ladder, A New Day at Midnight, and Life in Slow Motion.  He was mighty good last time I saw him too. (about 4 years ago)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 09, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »

Congrats!  Well done!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »
("you don't have to turn the sound up/girl I want you from the ground up"? WTF does that even MEAN?)

I'm guessing it's just a convenient rhyme.

Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
Quote from: Gazoo
Congrats!  Well done!

Thanks! :)

("you don't have to turn the sound up/girl I want you from the ground up"? WTF does that even MEAN?)

I'm guessing it's just a convenient rhyme.

Oh, no doubt about it.  Convenient rhymes don't have to be ridiculous though. :\

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 09, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »

congratulations Rad.. I like that latest RL tune, too, the one that contains the lyrics "angry young man... making a stand" or something. Reminds me of Neil Young.
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
Congrats.
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 12, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Thanks Tinka_Cat & Alicat :)

The concert was def. a good time.  Tift Merritt was the pre-opener, she looked & sounded like pretty generic Americana.  She wasn't bad but I couldn't get into her music.  She only played for about 20 min though.

Re: Ray LaMontagne.  No complaints about his performance!  I thought his band (the Pariah Dogs?) had very good chemistry & he did make singing and playing the guitar seem effortless.  I did appreciate the music more seeing him live.  The songwriting on the other hand...still not a fan of his stream of consciousness, half-baked lyrics.  It's as if they're incomplete (and, to a degree, so's his music).  I can see how that can be appealing, though & do see why many of you like him.  I also get the Joni Mitchell comparison (which also might explain why I don't like him -- never been a fan of Joni.  To borrow a term, "whiny caterwauling," anyone? ;) )

David Gray was a rock star.  Band of 6 dudes wearing fancy suits, playing cool-looking instruments, well done lighting, and jumping all over the place.  (He did try too hard to rock out to the first few songs though, esp. 'Sail Away'  ::) ) Still sounded great, though.  (And no Mike, he didn't play the 'ground up' song ;) ) In fact, he didn't play a lot of his recent stuff, or anything off of the new B-sides release "Foundling" which was fine with me.  It seemed to be more of a greatest-hits type gig, saving the best three for last (pre-encore): Be Mine, Babylon, & Please Forgive Me.  "Be Mine" was spectacular and confirmed my thoughts that, while not my favorite single by him (I'd rank it middle-of-the-pack) it really should have been his biggest hit; unfortunately ATO totally bungled the order of release of singles with from "A New Day at Midnight" (which, to my disappointment, was underrepresented at this show) He did the same thing with "Babylon" as last time I saw him, which was make the audience yell "if you want it, come & get it" before playing.  He ended the show (pre-encore) with "Please Forgive Me" & an additional (and much appropriately-placed) spotlight was on the drummer.

Set list: (Didn't write down & look up Tift Merritt's, hope nobody's too disappointed about that ;) )

Ray LaMontagne:
1. For the Summer
2. New York City's Killing Me
3. Forever My Friend
4. Let It Be Me
5. Beg Steal or Borrow
6. Repo Man
7. Jolene
8. Old Before Your Time
9. Hold You In My Arms
10. God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise
11. Like Rock N Roll
12. Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's a Shame)
Encore:
13. Trouble
14. You Are the Best Thing
(This was actually the one thing that bothered me about his set - he has 5 singles, he played 4 of them, but two were the two encore songs.  IMO it's not good form to play your songs that everyone knows as the encore songs, unless you have enough to fill your set pre-encore with them. )

David Gray:
1. Draw the Line
2. Fugitive
3. Sail Away
4. The One I Love
5. Now and Always
6. Say Hello Wave Goodbye
7. This Year's Love
8. Jackdaw
9. Be Mine
10. Babylon
11. Please Forgive Me
Encore:
12. Shine
13. Nemesis
14. All I Want is You (w/ Ray LaMontagne, U2 cover)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:24:40 PM by radical347 »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 12, 2010, 08:25:12 PM »
Check out the lineup for this year's Bridge School Benefit Concert, Oct 23-24 at Shoreline (official announcement Monday):
Saturday lineup:
Buffalo Springfield reunion (Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Richie Furay, Jim Messina)
Pearl Jam
Elvis Costello
Merle Haggard & Kris Kristofferson
Modest Mouse
Grizzly Bear

Sunday Lineup:
Buffalo Springfield
Pearl Jam
Elton John & Leon Russell
Elvis Costello
John Mellencamp
Jeff Bridges & Ralph Stanley
Merle Haggard & Kris Kristofferson
Modest Mouse
Grizzly Bear
http://www.examiner.com/bob-dylan-in-national/rumor-neil-young-s-bridge-benefit-2010-to-include-buffalo-springfield-plus-friends-of-bob-dylan