Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399068 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrity sighting...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 05:25:47 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Other celeb sightings in my life have been Joan Baez at the Pioneer bar in Woodside. I just looked and never said anything. Live music, itty bitty place.

That's usually my approach to encounters with celebrity, unless I really feel like I have something to say to them or ask them.

Rod, don't blame you about not digging the show--it was definitely a Fan's show, he only did a few of what would be considered hits (Pump It Up, Mystery Dance, Detectives, Peace Love & Understanding, (I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea), and a lot of deeper album cuts that, if you haven't been following him closely for his entire career you probably would not know. And about half a dozen cuts from his latest record. And yeah, the sound was not great last night.

One other aside on last night's show: as EC and the band came on stage, the PA blared the first few bars Dave & Ansel Collins' "Double Barrel."
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 06:37:12 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Other celeb sightings in my life have been Joan Baez at the Pioneer bar in Woodside. I just looked and never said anything. Live music, itty bitty place.

That's usually my approach to encounters with celebrity, unless I really feel like I have something to say to them or ask them.

Well, if I'd seen him across the room, I would not have approached him.  It just happened -- he was right next to me, and I blurted it out.  Really didn't mean to do it.  Painless enough for him, I expect.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 08:46:46 PM »
Celeb sightings at concerts: John Mayer at an Ari Hest show at the Irving Plaza (nice, affable, funny guy); Chris Robinson and Kate Hudson at the recent Jayhawks show at the Bowery Ballroom.  Did I already relate the latter tale to you all?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat as Alicat

The Concert Thread
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Chris Robinson and Kate Hudson at the recent Jayhawks show at the Bowery Ballroom.  Did I already relate the latter tale to you all?

No. What's to tell??? :wink:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 06:46:38 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat as Alicat"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Chris Robinson and Kate Hudson at the recent Jayhawks show at the Bowery Ballroom.  Did I already relate the latter tale to you all?

No. What's to tell??? :wink:

Heh.  Nothing that striking, actually.  Except that Kate, while as attractive in real life as she is on screen, was in a seemingly foul mood all evening and was more or less dragged back and forth between backstage and the balcony VIP seating.  (I was against the wall near backstage, so they passed by me at least three times.)  Chris, for his part, is not as tall as he seems -- maybe 6'1", where in videos he seemed at least 6'4".  With his beard and distant eyes, he would have seemed like any other regional pothead were it not for his fame.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 09:44:18 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Well, if I'd seen him across the room, I would not have approached him.  It just happened -- he was right next to me, and I blurted it out.  Really didn't mean to do it.  Painless enough for him, I expect.

And if I'd been as close as you were, I probably would have done the same. Didn't mean to imply you'd overstepped. I'm sure that sort of thing happens to him half a dozen times a day (or more) when he's out in public.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
B-R-O-O-O-O-C-E!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 05:31:03 PM »
Anyone here have any luck getting tix for the Paramount show today? Not I, alas. For a show that was barely promoted, it still sold out in a heartbeat. (Go figure.)
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: B-R-O-O-O-O-C-E!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 05:41:07 PM »
Anyone here have any luck getting tix for the Paramount show today? Not I, alas. For a show that was barely promoted, it still sold out in a heartbeat. (Go figure.)
Go figure?  Jeez, I'd expect Bruce at the Paramount to sell out in half a heartbeat!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 09:50:58 AM »
Happened to stumble across the info last night that Robert Plant will also be playing at the Paramount, July 19 I think. There's a presale starting today (haven't a clue as to the password) so I would assume tix drop to the general public this Sunday. Top ticket is circa $120--yikes! Guess when you're a rock god you can command such dear prices.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 11:25:29 AM »
Happened to stumble across the info last night that Robert Plant will also be playing at the Paramount, July 19 I think. There's a presale starting today (haven't a clue as to the password) so I would assume tix drop to the general public this Sunday. Top ticket is circa $120--yikes! Guess when you're a rock god you can command such dear prices.

I just bought 2 balcony seats (3rd row) for $65 apiece. A friend at work is a HUGE Percy fan.

The password, if you care, is "foghead".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 12:54:40 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

I just bought 2 balcony seats (3rd row) for $65 apiece. A friend at work is a HUGE Percy fan.

Woohoo!  I'm going too.  Thanks for the password, Mike.  I must have deleted that email...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 01:31:17 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Woohoo!  I'm going too.  Thanks for the password, Mike.  I must have deleted that email...

I just tried to see what I'd get if I asked for a single seat, and came up with Row L in the Orchestra, so it looks like I'm going too. Maybe we should meet for a bevvie before the show? (But NOT at the theatre--their prices are outrageous, and their only beer is Budweiser. Feh.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »
woo hoo! we're havin' a percy party!

wait... lemme rephrase that...

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
who the hell is Percy?
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 02:16:39 PM »

lame-o that I am, I did a web search for Robert Plant and Percy, and am guessing it's his nickname.  Found this scathing review:

http://www.dallasmusicguide.com/live/robertplant.htm

Pretty funny actually, and I really liked the Austin City Limits where he did "Darkness, Darkness" and "Song for a Siren."  I've seen Zep, I saw Page and Plant at the Oakland Coliseum, don't need to lose my hearing all over again.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: who the hell is Percy?
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 02:33:26 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

lame-o that I am, I did a web search for Robert Plant and Percy, and am guessing it's his nickname.  Found this scathing review:

http://www.dallasmusicguide.com/live/robertplant.htm

Pretty funny actually, and I really liked the Austin City Limits where he did "Darkness, Darkness" and "Song for a Siren."  I've seen Zep, I saw Page and Plant at the Oakland Coliseum, don't need to lose my hearing all over again.

"percy" is a Brit slang-word for penis. And Mr Plant's percy is legendary, thus the nickname.

There was a British movie in the '70s, Percy about a guy who gets a, uh, appendage transplant. It had a sndtk by the Kinks!