Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85125 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
From today's Tuesday Trivia:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "The Boy Is Mine," "Chim Chim Cher-ee," "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love," "Embraceable You," "Happy Birthday to You," "Hey Little Cobra," "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," and "Summer in the City."

ah, maybe the bell?

Was this the answer?  I waved the white flag a while ago on this one.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "The Boy Is Mine," "Chim Chim Cher-ee," "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love," "Embraceable You," "Happy Birthday to You," "Hey Little Cobra," "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," and "Summer in the City."

ah, maybe the bell?

I don't know either, will find out tomorrow.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »

ah, maybe the bell?

The  answer is (and I have to admit it's a good one):

All were written by siblings--famous ones like the Gershwins in some cases ("Embraceable You") and not-famous ones like Patty and Mildred Hill ("Happy Birthday") in others.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 09:54:13 AM »
Another musical question 7 from KJ:

What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "Eight Days a Week" by the Beatles, "Man Out of Time" by Elvis Costello, "More Than a Feeling" by Boston, "New Slang" by the Shins, "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "Turn to Stone" by ELO, "Vasoline" by Stone Temple Pilots, "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 06:24:36 AM »

What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "Eight Days a Week" by the Beatles, "Man Out of Time" by Elvis Costello, "More Than a Feeling" by Boston, "New Slang" by the Shins, "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "Turn to Stone" by ELO, "Vasoline" by Stone Temple Pilots, "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2.

something about the song intros?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 09:22:28 AM »

something about the song intros?

You are correct, all do long fade ins on the intro.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 10:03:45 AM »
Here's one Dave Morey probably knows the answer to:

1.  What was the only Billboard #1 single for the Beatles not written by Lennon-McCartney?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »

1.  What was the only Billboard #1 single for the Beatles not written by Lennon-McCartney?

I'm gonna say "Something", tho' it was the "B" of a double-sided hit with "Come Together" on the A.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »

I'm gonna say "Something", tho' it was the "B" of a double-sided hit with "Come Together" on the A.
You beat me to it - that's my answer too.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 11:15:01 AM »

Just to be different I'm going to say Twist and Shout--written by the Isleys, iirc.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »

Just to be different I'm going to say Twist and Shout--written by the Isleys, iirc.

So close! "T&S" peaked at #2 (the first time, in '64) and at #23 (the 2nd time, in '86, thanks to Ferris Bueller).

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »

So close! "T&S" peaked at #2 (the first time, in '64) and at #23 (the 2nd time, in '86, thanks to Ferris Bueller).

According to the Chart info on AMG, "Something" peaked at #3, while "Come Together" is a #1.  There is a different Harrison composition that was the B-side of a better known hit which *is* listed as a #1.  But I have found inconsistencies in the Billboard info on AMG before & it wouldn't surprise me if Mike & Gaz are right & they are wrong.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »

According to the Chart info on AMG, "Something" peaked at #3, while "Come Together" is a #1.  There is a different Harrison composition that was the B-side of a better known hit which *is* listed as a #1.  But I have found inconsistencies in the Billboard info on AMG before & it wouldn't surprise me if Mike & Gaz are right & they are wrong.

It's a confusing situation, one which Fred Bronson coincidentally addressed last month in his Chart Beat Chat column:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart_beat/chat_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003788787

The two-sided hit single "Come Together" and "Something" is a bit of an anomaly when it comes to the Hot 100. Prior to the introduction of this chart on Aug. 4, 1958, two-sided hits charted as one title on the Best Sellers in Stores chart. For example, Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel" and "Hound Dog" were both listed as a solitary No. 1 single, not as two different No. 1s.

But when the Hot 100 was introduced, two-sided hits charted separately. That's why many Beatles singles, such as "We Can Work It Out" / "Day Tripper" and "Yellow Submarine" / "Eleanor Rigby," were listed as two separate titles on the Hot 100, occupying and peaking in different positions.

The policy of how two-sided hits were charted changed in the middle of the run of the Beatles' "Come Together" and "Something" (that's the change that happened, not an alteration in how sales information was collected, as you suggest). When these songs debuted on the chart, they were listed in separate positions. Then the chart rule was revised, and "Come Together" and "Something" were combined as one chart title. The week that happened, both songs moved from different positions to No. 1 as one single. That means "Come Together" and "Something" counts as one No. 1 hit, just as the two-sided No. 1 songs "It's Too Late" / "I Feel the Earth Move" by Carole King and "Maggie May" / "Reason to Believe" by Rod Stewart do. The same goes for Elton John's "Candle in the Wind 1997" / "Something About the Way You Look Tonight," which is one No. 1 hit, not two.

And that change in policy accounts for the George-penned #1 that may be the answer Ken was seeking.

(PS: "Something" had been at #3 the week before the rule revision, hence some people's deeming that its chart peak.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:56:18 PM by Gazoo »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »

Based on the above, I'm thinking "For You Blue", or whatever Harrison tune was the flip of "Long & Winding Road".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »

Based on the above, I'm thinking "For You Blue", or whatever Harrison tune was the flip of "Long & Winding Road".

Ding ding ding (at least according to AMG).  We'll see what KJ says next Tuesday.

--Carlos Santana, 2010