Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85665 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

They're all sung by muppets?  Wait -- that's only true on "It's Not Easy Being Green" and "Mr. Jones" .   ;D

According to Mr. Jennings, there are no rhymes in the lyrics.  Pretty good one, methinks.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »

They're all sung by muppets?  Wait -- that's only true on "It's Not Easy Being Green" and "Mr. Jones" .   ;D

According to Mr. Jennings, there are no rhymes in the lyrics.  Pretty good one, methinks.

Wow. Kudos, Mr J.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
About a month ago Ken Jennings was in Oakland for a book signing of his latest, Maphead, which is about just what you think it is.  Being a total maphead myself & a bit of a KJ fan in general, I went (along with Gabriel, my 10 yr old).  After the requisite excerpt reading and Q&A, Ken asked the crowd of 50+ if they'd care to have an impromptu geography quiz, and of course we all said yes.  He had a bag of Smarties candies, and whoever called out the correct answer would have one lobbed in their direction.  I got one right and just as Gabriel came back from the kid's book area he sees Ken throwing something at me, and he was like WTF!?.  Then I got three more right and Gabriel said he had enough candy, so I should save one for his brother Adrian.  After a few minutes of this KJ identified the three people who'd answered the most correctly, which included yours truly, and we had a regular Jeopardy style quiz with the prize being a free copy of his book.  I took the early lead, but then it ended in a tie, and since I had already bought my copy the other guy got the freebie. 

We then got in line for the signing, and Gabriel asked him a geography question (what two states are tied for sharing borders with the most other states, and how many do they border?) which he got correct* pretty quickly.  I then asked him one that was patterned on his weekly Question 7, and today it appeared in his weekly mailing(!):

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. states and no others--though California is, in all likelihood, about to leave the list?  Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, and Utah.

Anybody?

*the answer to Gabriel's question is Missouri & Tennessee, which in addition to bordering each other, touch 7 other states for a total of 8.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:57:18 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »
7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. states and no others--though California is, in all likelihood, about to leave the list?  Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, and Utah.

I'm suspecting the "CA is about to leave this list" should give it away, but I'm without a clue as to what.

What two states border each other but do not have a direct road connection?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
wow, sorry for not answering this many months ago. 

States with NBA teams in their capitals, since the Kings are very likely to relocate to Seattle, my former & Ken's current hometowns.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »
Hey gang,

Been quite a while since I had a good one of these to contruibute, but how about this one:

Question 7.  What unusual distinction is shared by all these musical acts?  Aerosmith, Big Star, Depeche Mode, The Doobie Brothers, Genesis, Green Day, George Michael, Carrie Underwood, Kanye West, Wilco.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »

Without checking, my first guess would be Delaware and New Jersey -- maybe their shared
border is in the Delaware River?  If not, perhaps a similar situation along the Mississippi or
the Great Lakes?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »

Without checking, my first guess would be Delaware and New Jersey -- maybe their shared
border is in the Delaware River?  If not, perhaps a similar situation along the Mississippi or
the Great Lakes?

Delaware & New Jersey have but one direct road connection, I-295, which as you allude to above, crosses the Delaware River.

Kentucky & Missouri

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »
No...it has to do with songs in their respective catalogues.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2015, 09:54:14 AM »
Ok, final hint...think song titles, and think this might have been more appropriate *next* week.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
Ok, final hint...think song titles, and think this might have been more appropriate *next* week.

Jesus in the titles?  (if so, he forgot ZZ Top)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »

Jesus in the titles?  (if so, he forgot ZZ Top)

I think you might be onto something there. I can think of "Jesus" songs by several of those artists just off the top of my head. Interesting that he chose the Doobie Brothers rather than the Byrds, who did that particular Jesus song originally. And Wilco has two (Jesus Etc. and Christ for President).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:47:21 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
That was it, sorry it took me so long to confirm.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
Here's a new question 7 from Ken Jennings that is music related:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these hit songs?  "As Tears Go By," "Boom Clap," "Celebration," "Chiquitita," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Heroes," "I'll Never Break Your Heart," "Ring of Fire," "She Loves You," "Shock the Monkey."

(I won't get the answer until next Tuesday, just so you know)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Here's a new question 7 from Ken Jennings that is music related:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these hit songs?  "As Tears Go By," "Boom Clap," "Celebration," "Chiquitita," "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da," "Heroes," "I'll Never Break Your Heart," "Ring of Fire," "She Loves You," "Shock the Monkey."

(I won't get the answer until next Tuesday, just so you know)

I think I have this one -- each of the songs was recorded in a non-English language by the original artist. I know that Heroes, She Loves You and Shock The Monkey were all recorded in German (as was I Want to Hold Your Hand, which Jennings doesn't mention). And a quick web search reveals that several of the others have been as well (Ring of Fire in Spanish, As Tears Go By in Italian, and De Do Do Do etc. in Spanish and Japanese).
Let's get right to it.