Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 9/3/07  (Read 7627 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 9/3/07
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
#2 is last year's #1, Edward Bear's Last Song."

And #1 is ...

... DANIEL BOONE, "BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY"!!

as soon as this song is over -- TURN ON LITTLE STEVEN'S SHOW!!!

I knew you were gonna remind me!  Got it on now.  41st anniversary of the Monkees' debut.  Whee!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
jezzus, they're syndicating old tapes of Wolfman Jack??? Creepy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »
Little Steven perpetuates the untrue urban legend that Charles Manson auditioned for the Monkees.  The other he lists, however, are true: Danny Hutton, Stephen Stills, and Rodney Bingenheimer.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 07:35:31 AM »
Little Steven perpetuates the untrue urban legend that Charles Manson auditioned for the Monkees.  The other he lists, however, are true: Danny Hutton, Stephen Stills, and Rodney Bingenheimer.

I was surprised, in the past he has referred to that as a myth, and Steven's "theme" shows tend to recycle old scripts. He usually mentions another Monkees myth, that Zappa plays guitar on "Valleri".  But I hope you heard the whole show -- he's at his best when he sticks to one theme all the way thru.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »

I was surprised, in the past he has referred to that as a myth, and Steven's "theme" shows tend to recycle old scripts. He usually mentions another Monkees myth, that Zappa plays guitar on "Valleri".  But I hope you heard the whole show -- he's at his best when he sticks to one theme all the way thru.

Yeah.  He picked some great cuts.  But his speaking voice, um, takes some getting used to.

Meantime, also per "Hz So Good," it appears Clear Channel is streaming old Casey Kasem countdowns from the '80s here (I haven't listened for myself yet):

http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab/at40.htm

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »
This has been a delight, in spite of Charlene (people actually like "Never Been to Me"?)

TANC:

http://bobshannon.com/specials/Hz-1.html

"I've Never Been to Me," Charlene (1982) I have been many places in my life and times, and I have yet to meet anyone who has admitted to even casually liking this record. I get how the message would appeal to millions of moms in 1982, especially when you consider that the two songs Charlene was stuck behind were the Paul McCartney-Stevie Wonder duet "Ebony & Ivory" and Rick Springfield's "Don't Talk to Strangers." Still, the combination of the message - which boils down to, you should be lucky you're not a tramp like me - and the music, which would have passed for an airline commercial back then, is as deadly as they come. All that said, this still may not be the worst #3 hit ever. I'm saving that for part 2.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »

Meant to say, he made a curious choice from the film Head: "Can You Dig It," Peter Tork's elementary appreciation of the Tao te Ching, or something like that.  The other cuts off that soundtrack were far better, IMHO.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »

Meant to say, he made a curious choice from the film Head: "Can You Dig It," Peter Tork's elementary appreciation of the Tao te Ching, or something like that.  The other cuts off that soundtrack were far better, IMHO.

I assume he was trying to spread the love, since there aren't too many Tork contribs to choose from.  As to Steven's voice, his delivery is part of his shtick, he's playing a Joisey wiseguy who happens to be extremely knowledgeable about music.  It's really an amazing 2 hours each week, and he gets in a lot of lefty politics (he's especially anti-religion)  which is both surprising and gratifying for a syndicated show.