Author Topic: 31 August 2007-it's 1967  (Read 7112 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 10:43:12 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "urth"
This must be the Super Hit 6 slot--can't imagine DM would play All You Need Is Love anywhere else.

Can't help but be reminded by the Britishness of this that Princess Diana died 10 years ago today.

I remember it well, it was a Saturday, and we were getting up before dawn to drive into Yosemite for an aggressive day trip, and I turned on the telly & got the news.  Driving out from the Sunset that morning, it was all we heard on the radio.  Hit the trailhead around 9:30 and commenced a  1hr hike to the lake that my cousin was camping at with a group of his buddies.  On the trail met some Brits hiking out after a week in the wilderness, and asked them if they were big fans of the Lady, which of course they were, so I broke the news to them.  

They were pretty saddened, not hysterical or anything, but I suppose in the years since and probably sometime today when they think where they were when they heard the news they'll be thinking of the Yank they met on the trail in Yosemite.

I got the news late Friday night.  I was at Club Cocodrie in North Beach watching a band called the Drawing Room Poets (two of them were fellow Alleghenians, one of whom used to date my friend Victor).  Eerily, I saw the news breaking on a TV screen just as the band was playing a cover of Bob Dylan's "Davey Moore

I'm pretty sure it happened on a Saturday night-into-Sun morning. I was listening to Sully Roddy's late lamented alt-country show on KNEW and even tho' they NEVER did news on the weekends, she interrupted at around 9:30pm with the news.

Yeah, I think you're right. I was up at the Strawberry Music Festival at Camp Mather (near Yosemite) that weekend, and no one had much access to TV or radio up there, but word spread pretty quickly via word of mouth around the camp. At the Bass Lake gospel service that morning, they sang a couple of songs for her--Amazing Grace and something else I'm not recalling, but there are tons of fitting songs in the bluegrass canon.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I'm pretty sure it happened on a Saturday night-into-Sun morning.

Checked the date, 8/31/97 was, in fact, a Sunday.

So Gaz was partying on a Sat & I was hiking on the Sabbath. Makes sense.

Oops, mea culpa
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »
Yeah, I think you're right. I was up at the Strawberry Music Festival at Camp Mather (near Yosemite) that weekend.

TANC, we drove up to just before Strawberry to reach our trailhead that morning, then hiked into the very northern boundary of Yosemite to a place called Chewing Gum Lake.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
And Annalisa, as always, pulls out a real corker for the bonus: Mamas & Papas, 12:30 (Young Girls are Comin' to the Canyon).

She didn't seem to give the Foghead much of a choice, just told him what it was gonna be. Guess she didn't want to take any chances on this one.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 11:12:56 AM »
OMFG! Annalisa's bonus is... M's&P's, "12:30".  Hope Gaz stuck around.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
And Davie Allan and the Arrows--is this 10@10 or Little Steven's Underground Garage?

I'd never heard this instro before.  Any other day, it'd get a BOS for the novelty, but not in a set with "I Wanna Testify" AND "All You Need Is Love."  Folks, this is why I consider 1967 the pinnacle of rock years.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Davie Allan
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 10:24:35 PM »
And Davie Allan and the Arrows--is this 10@10 or Little Steven's Underground Garage?
I'd never heard this instro before.  Any other day, it'd get a BOS for the novelty, but not in a set with "I Wanna Testify" AND "All You Need Is Love."  Folks, this is why I consider 1967 the pinnacle of rock years.

As I remember, this was on some movie soundtrack that Cream's "Anyone for Tennis?" was on.  Does this make sense?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
list
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 10:28:03 PM »
08/31/2007 - FRIDAY! Steppin' Back to....1967!!

1.   Simon & Garfunkel - Fakin' It      
2.   Jackie Wilson - Higher & Higher (BEST OF SET!!)      
3.   Otis & Karla - Knock on Wood      
4.   Parliament - Testify      
5.   Neil Diamond - Thank the Lord for the Nighttime      
6.   Arrows - Blues Theme      
7.   Beatles (yeah!) - All You Need is Love (BEST OF SET!!)
8.   Diana Ross & the Supremes - Reflections      
9.   Beach Boys - Heroes & Villains      
10.   Stevie Wonder - I Was Made to Love Her      

BONUS TRACK:  Mamas & the Papas - 12:30

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Davie Allan
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

As I remember, this was on some movie soundtrack that Cream's "Anyone for Tennis?" was on.  Does this make sense?

AMG says it was from The Wild Angels starring Peter Fonda.   But it doesn't have the song you mention.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Davie Allan
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

AMG says it was from The Wild Angels starring Peter Fonda.   But it doesn't have the song you mention.

Well, a little research shows I got it confused with another cheezy biker movie, The Savage Seven

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
31 August 2007-it's 1967
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »

OK, Gaz, I'm getting tired of saying this nearly every week, but WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO LITTLE STEVEN ON SUNDAY NIGHT???  For shame.

As for the movie sndtk it's from, it was revived in the '90s by Tarantino, no?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round