Author Topic: 16 Aug 2007: Happy Elvis Death Day!  (Read 5125 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
16 Aug 2007: Happy Elvis Death Day!
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
yup... an Elvis-centric set -- dunno if this will be newly-minted, or a rerun of the one Dave did a few years back.

I just logged on to CG (since the Drive is blocked today) and they're doing Elvis stuff all day; just heard "Way Down", which I still can't believe Dave has never played.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Aug 2007: Happy Elvis Death Day!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:51 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
yup... an Elvis-centric set -- dunno if this will be newly-minted, or a rerun of the one Dave did a few years back.

I just logged on to CG (since the Drive is blocked today) and they're doing Elvis stuff all day; just heard "Way Down", which I still can't believe Dave has never played.

Peter Case was on the Morning Show during my commute, and I'd never realized that he was such a blues/folk influenced guy.  He got to talking about how he was crazy about Elvis (pre-Army Elvis that is) as a kid.  When asked about it more he replied, "Hey, Elvis died so we could Rock."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Peter Case was on the Morning Show during my commute, and I'd never realized that he was such a blues/folk influenced guy.  He got to talking about how he was crazy about Elvis (pre-Army Elvis that is) as a kid.  When asked about it more he replied, "Hey, Elvis died so we could Rock."

Peter Case was a busker here in SF for several years before he went to LA and became a Plimsoul. In fact there's a song on his The Man with the...Blue Guitar album called "Entella Hotel", which is a residence hotel out on Columbus. I think it still exists--it was there a couple years ago.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:29:01 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Peter Case was a busker here in SF for several years before he went to LA and became a Plimsoul. In fact there's a song on his The Man with the...Blue Guitar album called "Entella Hotel", which is a residence hotel out on Columbus. I think it still exists--it was there a couple years ago.

Case's new CD is a tribute to Sleepy John Estes, a blues singer -- When I heard the title, I thought it was a tribute to "Sleepy John" from KPIG!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »

He spoke of that, because he wrote a book about that period - As Far As You Can Get Without A Passport.  He sounded like a much more intersting guy than I'd been aware of.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 09:58:48 AM »
Dave slides into the set with an entirely appropriate song--Neil Young's My My, Hey Hey--"the King is gone but he's not forgotten..."
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »

He spoke of that, because he wrote a book about that period - As Far As You Can Get Without A Passport.  He sounded like a much more intersting guy than I'd been aware of.

He is--but he's also a little on the crazy side. Sarah used to work for his booking agent, so I had occasion to talk with him a time or two. Very passionate about his music, though. He's also an obsessive guitar tuner. I remember seeing him once or twice where the guitar tuning between songs extended longer than the songs themselves. I've heard the old saw "We tune because we care" but he took it to extremes.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Dave slides into the set with an entirely appropriate song--Neil Young's My My, Hey Hey--"the King is gone but he's not forgotten..."

I have this set in the Db, and I won't post any spoilers yet (if you want me to, say so), except to say that this is actually a 12@10.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 10:09:12 AM »

I have this set in the Db, and I won't post any spoilers yet (if you want me to, say so), except to say that this is actually a 12@10.

so this really is a rerun?  He should've saved it for tomorrow and done a new set today...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
I remember in one rockumentary or another hearing the account of how Elvis cut "That's Alright" and it got played on a local Memphis station for a couple of days.  Then the radio station had him in studio to talk for a minute or two, and he was kind of mumbling, and one of the few things that people listening could really understand was when he said what high school he'd just graduated from.  And apparently this was well-known to be a predominantly black school & so a lot of folks assumed he was black.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:11:35 AM »

so this really is a rerun?  He should've saved it for tomorrow and done a new set today...

He copped to that fact in the intro--said it originally aired five years ago, and kept safe in the archives since then, as it was one of his favorite theme sets.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:51 AM »

You must have missed Dave's intro, he went on about this being 5 years old & "locked away in the vaults".

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »
Hmmm, I don't think a man who eats deep-fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches should be calling anybody else "childish"...

BOS1 "US Male"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »
Just realized that Elvis had this fixation with postal themes--US Male, Return to Sender--any others?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »
Hmmm, I don't think a man who eats deep-fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches should be calling anybody else "childish"...

BOS1 "US Male"

I saw some commerative Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Banana Creme the other day, almost bought some.

As a literally starving college student in my first apartment, I ate a lot of peanut butter and banana sandwiches (not deep-fried tho') and had no idea I was nearly an Elvis impersonator.

--Carlos Santana, 2010