Author Topic: The Shraytabase quiz  (Read 31156 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 11:10:14 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Time for another.

This summer I vowed to get the Db up to date, after not having done so since last Oct, but it took me a while, and by the time I had sorted & scrubbed the data from Nov to mid-July, it was already late Aug.  So I quickly added the last six weeks up to Aug 31, which leads me to the following question.  

Between mid July & the end of Aug, which of the following 10 songs were  new entries in the Db?*

Allman Brothers - Statesboro Blues
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
CCR - I Put A Spell On You
Doors - Hello, I Love You
Elton John - Elderberry Wine
Eric Clapton - Tulsa Time
Huey Lewis & The News - If This Is It
Rolling Stones - Angie
Rush - Big Money
Talking Heads - Wild Wild Life

*at this point the definition is a song certainly not heard for the preceeding 40 months, and also not in any of the 70% of sets that are in the Db for the 3 years before that.

All of 'em?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Time for another.

This summer I vowed to get the Db up to date, after not having done so since last Oct, but it took me a while, and by the time I had sorted & scrubbed the data from Nov to mid-July, it was already late Aug.  So I quickly added the last six weeks up to Aug 31, which leads me to the following question.  

Between mid July & the end of Aug, which of the following 10 songs were  new entries in the Db?*

Rolling Stones - Angie
Rush - Big Money

*at this point the definition is a song certainly not heard for the preceeding 40 months, and also not in any of the 70% of sets that are in the Db for the 3 years before that.

All of 'em?

Ha! I was about to say the same thing -- I remember a discussion when Dave played "Elderberry Wine" quite recently, about how hard I found it to believe that it was a bustout.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Time for another.

Rolling Stones - Angie
Rush - Big Money

All of 'em?

Ha! I was about to say the same thing -- I remember a discussion when Dave played "Elderberry Wine" quite recently, about how hard I found it to believe that it was a bustout.

That's right, and those were just the most interesting out of 33 songs that qualified.  So despite my occasional (okay, persistent) griping, Dave still averages about 1 bustout per set, even though I have around 50 sets on record for each of the most popular years (74-84) and at least 30 sets each from 68-89.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 09:08:18 AM »
The other day looking through my Db I was wondering, what is the smallest number of characters needed to give artist-album title-track title?  

Spaces count within names and titles, but not between them.  So for example Steely Dan-Aja-Peg is 10+3+3=16.

I think I found the shortest in rock & roll history, which is 7 total.  It's not in the Db but other tracks from that album are.  Can you figure it out?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »
The other day looking through my Db I was wondering, what is the smallest number of characters needed to give artist-album title-track title?  

Spaces count within names and titles, but not between them.  So for example Steely Dan-Aja-Peg is 10+3+3=16.

I think I found the shortest in rock & roll history, which is 7 total.  It's not in the Db but other tracks from that album are.  Can you figure it out?

U2 - 40 - War
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:18 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

U2 - 40 - War

HAH! I was gonna go look up the tracks on Boy, having not thought of U2's other three-letter album, but I think Gaz may have nailed it.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

U2 - 40 - War

HAH! I was gonna go look up the tracks on Boy, having not thought of U2's other three-letter album, but I think Gaz may have nailed it.

Indeed he did.  Kudos!

I had several hints already thought out, but guess I didn't need 'em.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Shraytabase quiz
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »
Nearly done scrubbing the data for the latest update, which will give us 4 yrs of uninterrupted data (May '04 - Apr '08).

So here's a Who Am I quiz.

I am a major performer with huge success on the billboard charts for many years. 

In all the sets up to Aug '04, I only appeared 3 times, and each was in a Hits From Hell set.

In the next 21 months I appeared 3 times, and in the last 24 months I appeared 7 times, so I think Dave has changed his mind about me.

Who Am I?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
Nearly done scrubbing the data for the latest update, which will give us 4 yrs of uninterrupted data (May '04 - Apr '08).

So here's a Who Am I quiz.

I am a major performer with huge success on the billboard charts for many years. 

In all the sets up to Aug '04, I only appeared 3 times, and each was in a Hits From Hell set.

In the next 21 months I appeared 3 times, and in the last 24 months I appeared 7 times, so I think Dave has changed his mind about me.

Who Am I?

Well, there was a time when ABBA was HFH only, but that was long ago.  Ms. Madonna Louise Ciccone?

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »
Neil Diamond?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
Neil Diamond?

No, it's Madonna.  Neil doesn't appear nearly that often, although he did get a HFH appearance for his duet with Babs once.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »
What iconic, oft-anthologized top ten hit from 1968 does not appear even once in the 40 sets from that year that made the Db from 2001-2007, but so far this year it has already appeared twice out of 3 sets from 1968?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
What iconic, oft-anthologized top ten hit from 1968 does not appear even once in the 40 sets from that year that made the Db from 2001-2007, but so far this year it has already appeared twice out of 3 sets from 1968?

OK, I confess to having consulted the three '68 setlists we've heard this year, but nonetheless, you must be referring to Vanilla Fudge's You Keep Me Hangin' On.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »

OK, I confess to having consulted the three '68 setlists we've heard this year, but nonetheless, you must be referring to Vanilla Fudge's You Keep Me Hangin' On.

I am indeed.  This may be the single hardest thing to believe that the Db has ever shown me.  FORTY(!?) sets over 7 years & it's not in there even once?  Crazy.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »

I am indeed.  This may be the single hardest thing to believe that the Db has ever shown me.  FORTY(!?) sets over 7 years & it's not in there even once?  Crazy.

I'm not surprised, in that Dave has a LOT of late-'60s faves/standbys/semi-Katrinas that he rotates to the exclusion of what you'd think would be obvious choices.