Author Topic: 22 June 2007--it's Gay Pride 2007  (Read 4772 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
22 June 2007--it's Gay Pride 2007
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Maybe he just considers this to be like the MLK set--the definitive set, so he prefers to just leave it as a static work of art, rather than change it every year.

well at least he could switch it up & play the live version of "Real Men", with JJ's dedication to the Australian National Rugby team.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
OK, I am NOT proud to be hearing "Hit the Ground Running" yet yet yet again.  If Dave wants to evoke AIDS poignancy, he can play Noel's "Silent Morning," 'k?

I am sure, very sure, that Dave plays this song as a memorial to his late partner...the one that he moved out here with whom he almost never speaks of... the one who managed to get sick & die so quickly that Dave didn't even get infected.  He spoke of this once when Tim Finn got played in the regular rotation on the Morning Show, and it was an astonishing bit of openness from Dave (he was audibly weeping).

So I now like the song more than I used to because I associate it with that story.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
jill sobule. i can't remember if there was a really hot video to this song, or if i just made it up.

Decide for yourself now:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zpI7znS8Fuc

Fabio!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 10:32:17 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
OK, I am NOT proud to be hearing "Hit the Ground Running" yet yet yet again.  If Dave wants to evoke AIDS poignancy, he can play Noel's "Silent Morning," 'k?

I am sure, very sure, that Dave plays this song as a memorial to his late partner...the one that he moved out here with whom he almost never speaks of... the one who managed to get sick & die so quickly that Dave didn't even get infected.  He spoke of this once when Tim Finn got played in the regular rotation on the Morning Show, and it was an astonishing bit of openness from Dave (he was audibly weeping).

So I now like the song more than I used to because I associate it with that story.

I didn't hear that segment with the Tim Finn song, but I've always suspected the song carried some sort of deeper personal meaning for Dave beyond just the lyrics. The pain he must still feel--wow. I think his partner's name was Mike--he refers to him now and again in his blog, including in the Father's Day piece he wrote for his dad a week or so back.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
jill sobule. i can't remember if there was a really hot video to this song, or if i just made it up.

Decide for yourself now:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zpI7znS8Fuc

nope. i made it up.
:)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 10:40:09 AM »
BOS to "Glad to Be Gay": "And he still bears the scars."  Still gets me every time.  I've led a charmed existence with my own being out, so it's important I get these reminders not to take it for granted.

(For the record: I am.  Glad, that is.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 10:46:58 AM »
I didn't hear that segment with the Tim Finn song, but I've always suspected the song carried some sort of deeper personal meaning for Dave beyond just the lyrics.

It was a couple of years ago, and the part that got me (which gets me every time I think of it) was the obvious 'survivors guilt' that Dave was dealing with even then more than a decade later.  I also recall that Peter was the only one in the booth who seemed able to deal with Dave's emotions.  Neither Greg nor Renee could talk for a while.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »
Bonus track is Lyle Lovett singing "Stand By Your Man".  pretty funny.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I didn't hear that segment with the Tim Finn song, but I've always suspected the song carried some sort of deeper personal meaning for Dave beyond just the lyrics.

It was a couple of years ago, and the part that got me (which gets me every time I think of it) was the obvious 'survivors guilt' that Dave was dealing with even then more than a decade later.  I also recall that Peter was the only one in the booth who seemed able to deal with Dave's emotions.  Neither Greg nor Renee could talk for a while.

See, it's exactly things like that that make Dave pretty much unique in radio, particularly in this day and age--and it's even more so if you read his blog regularly. Can you think of any media personality (major market or otherwise) who shares so much of his or her private life with his audience? Damn few if any, I'd wager.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »
06/22/2007 - FRIDAY!!!! Pride Set!

1.  Mukilteo Fairies - Queer Enough For You  
2.  Billie Burke Estate - Gay  
3.  Jill Sobule - I Kissed a Girl  
4.  Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am  
5.  Sylvester - You Make Me Feel Mighty Real (BEST OF SET!!)  
6.  Tim Finn - Hit the Ground Running  
7.  Elton John - The Simple Life  
8.  Timbuk 3 - Legalize Our Love  
9.  Tom Robinson Band - Glad to Be Gay  
10.  Joe Jackson - Real Men  

BONUS TRACK:  Lyle Lovett - Stand By Your Man
Let's get right to it.