Author Topic: Scavenger Hunts  (Read 13559 times)

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 77428
    • View Profile
Re: New scavenger hunt
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:35:19 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
This hunt has a theme: Songs I heard on oldies station 3WS while in Pittsburgh last week.  I have to say, I was impressed with the breadth of the station's playlist; it rivals what I read of WCBS's.

1. as yet
2. 73
3. Mozart
4. James Taylor
5. gunnin'
6. tumble
7. vibes
8. violins
9. whippoorwill
10. fawwin'


3. "Blinded by the light" (go-kart Mozart, I'm guessing it was the MMEB version)
4. "Rings", Cimarron (that *IS* impressive -- was it a bigger hit in P-burgh than it was nationally?)
10. H,FJ&R of course (they shoulda followed it with "I Wike Dweamin')

more to come as I think of 'em...


9. "Phila. Freedom"
8. could it be? Ray Stevens' "Misty"???  (If so I'm even more impressed)
6. I'm hoping they played "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" but I didn't think you'd give a clue that's part of a song title...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15259
    • View Profile
Re: New scavenger hunt
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
This hunt has a theme: Songs I heard on oldies station 3WS while in Pittsburgh last week.  I have to say, I was impressed with the breadth of the station's playlist; it rivals what I read of WCBS's.

1. as yet
2. 73
3. Mozart
4. James Taylor
5. gunnin'
6. tumble
7. vibes
8. violins
9. whippoorwill
10. fawwin'


3. "Blinded by the light" (go-kart Mozart, I'm guessing it was the MMEB version)
4. "Rings", Cimarron (that *IS* impressive -- was it a bigger hit in P-burgh than it was nationally?)
10. H,FJ&R of course (they shoulda followed it with "I Wike Dweamin')

more to come as I think of 'em...


9. "Phila. Freedom"
8. could it be? Ray Stevens' "Misty"???  (If so I'm even more impressed)
6. I'm hoping they played "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" but I didn't think you'd give a clue that's part of a song title...


You're right on 3, 4, 9, and 10.  ("Rings" wasn't especially big in Pgh AFAIK, so I was equally impressed/surprised.)  Never having heard "Misty," I didn't know there were "violins" in it; I was going for something else.  Same with "tumble," for which I'll invoke Shray's edict about hunt words not appearing in titles.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 77428
    • View Profile
Re: New scavenger hunt
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
You're right on 3, 4, 9, and 10.  ("Rings" wasn't especially big in Pgh AFAIK, so I was equally impressed/surprised.)  Never having heard "Misty," I didn't know there were "violins" in it; I was going for something else.  Same with "tumble," for which I'll invoke Shray's edict about hunt words not appearing in titles.


"and a thousand violins began to play..."

FYI, "Rings" was also a country hit in '71 for Tompall & the Glaser Bros. (charting the same time as the pop version) -- only I think they had "Merle Haggard" on their stereo. And of course it was covered in '74 by Lobo.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15129
    • View Profile
Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 03:32:14 PM »
73 men sailed up to the San Francisco Bay...to try to catch a ball in McCovey Cove.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15259
    • View Profile
Re: New scavenger hunt
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
And of course it was covered in '74 by Lobo.


Did not know that.  I've only heard 2 or 3 Lobo songs (partial to "I'd Love You to Want Me"); should I seek out a GH comp?

PS to Mshray: Nice.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15259
    • View Profile
Re: New scavenger hunt
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »
ANSWERS:

1. as yet - Cat Stevens, "Another Saturday Night"
2. 73 - (MS) Blues Image, "Ride Captain Ride"
3. Mozart - (RGM) Manfred Mann, "Blinded By the Light"
4. James Taylor - (RGM) Cymarron, "Rings"
5. gunnin' - Steely Dan, "Do It Again"
6. tumble - not Culture Club, alas, but Tommy James, "I Think We're Alone Now"
7. vibes - Jefferson Starship, "Miracles" (and a big "Harrumph!" to y'alls :) )
8. violins - Supremes, "I Hear a Symphony"
9. whippoorwill - (RGM) Elton John, "Philadelphia Freedom"
10. fawwin' - (RGM) Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds, "Fallin' in Love (Again)"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15129
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »
Here's a quick scavenger hunt for y'all.  All from very well-known tunes.

1.) bower
2.) grinner
3.) spanner
4.) strewn
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 77428
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:26 AM »

2.) grinner


That would be "The Joker", methinks. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15129
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15129
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »

Here's a quick scavenger hunt for y'all.  All from very well-known tunes.

1.) bower
2.) grinner
3.) spanner
4.) strewn

Hint: the other three are all R'n'R HoF bands with very prominent guitarists.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:27:05 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15129
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
I'll post the answers after the set if no one gets any by then.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15259
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
I'll post the answers after the set if no one gets any by then.

Sorry, I got none o' these.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

  • The Core
  • Master Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 8079
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »
I'll post the answers after the set if no one gets any by then.

Is Ian Hunter involved with one answer?
~CPL593H~

mshray

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15129
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
I'll post the answers after the set if no one gets any by then.

Is Ian Hunter involved with one answer?

nope.

two of the above-mentioned three guitarists were in even in a recent movie together.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:27:11 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

  • The Core
  • Master Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 8079
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenger Hunts
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »
I'll post the answers after the set if no one gets any by then.

Is Ian Hunter involved with one answer?

nope.

two of the remaining three were in even in a recent movie together.

I looked up some lyrics w the words in question. there are a few songs that feaure the words, but I suppose you're looking for the most "popular" or accessible answer?

~CPL593H~