Author Topic: 9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!  (Read 6640 times)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Various saxes, mostly alto but occasionally tenor, and one semester when we were short on bass instruments I marched with a bass sax (my aching back!). Played one year of college too, but then they disbanded the marching band for lack of $.

Bass sax!  I am duly impressed.  What hard-hearted college did you go to that had the nerve to cancel band???  (I played the tenor sax.)
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 10:31:44 AM »
BOS4 TJ, whose dog Sam eats purple flowers.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 10:34:15 AM »
Vinyl #2 (or 3 if you coount the anti dope ad)--Ashton, Gardner & Dyke, Resurrection Shuffle.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
OMFG and BOS5 the heavy-leather "Resurrection Shuffle", Ashton, Gardner and Lesbian!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »
I think I may have heard this Brady Bunch clip one time too many now, detracting from an otherwise splendid set.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I think I may have heard this Brady Bunch clip one time too many now, detracting from an otherwise splendid set.

Agreed, but then I never really "got" the BB; I was just a tad too old when they came on the scene, and I can honestly say I never saw an entire ep of the show until syndication, and then only rarely.

But BOS6 Miss Ross (she da Boss), "Remember Me", one of her fab forgotten hits.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »

With ya, there. Frankly it's getting a little creepy how groovy Marcia thinks Greg is.

On the other hand, BOS Diana and the Supremes--now I think this could be a bustout--Mike?
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 10:41:02 AM »

With ya, there. Frankly it's getting a little creepy how groovy Marcia thinks Greg is.

On the other hand, BOS Diana and the Supremes--now I think this could be a bustout--Mike?

"Remember me as a big balloon."  Errr, OK, Diana.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
closing (?) ever-so-tastefully with EJ, "Friends".  A fine set indeed.

And as to the Diana -- Dave played it rather recently, iirc -- check the shraytabase for confirmation.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 10:43:51 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"

LOL! one of the odder lyrics of the decade.  Right up there with "like a window you got nothing to say".

What? Tin Tin WASN'T vinyl???

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:05 AM »

Various saxes, mostly alto but occasionally tenor, and one semester when we were short on bass instruments I marched with a bass sax (my aching back!). Played one year of college too, but then they disbanded the marching band for lack of $.

Bass sax!  I am duly impressed.  What hard-hearted college did you go to that had the nerve to cancel band???  (I played the tenor sax.)

Where else but a state school, of course. (Cal State Sacto, if you must know.) They did reinstate it a few years later, but I'd graduated by then.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12:49 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
BOS3 and proxy of Gazoo: Tin Tin, "Toast and Marmalade", one of the best BeeGees imitations ever.

And in fact, produced by Maurice.

My BOS vote is split between that and Diana's "Remember Me," perhaps the most Supremes-like of her solo hits?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »
And as to the Diana -- Dave played it rather recently, iirc -- check the shraytabase for confirmation.

Right again, Sherman. Twice previously, according to the Shraytabase--February of 2004 and June of last year, which is the one Mike must have been alluding to.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 09:21:29 AM »

LOL! one of the odder lyrics of the decade.  Right up there with "like a window you got nothing to say".

What? Tin Tin WASN'T vinyl???

The loops and warps were built into the record by Maurice, who had the peculiar inspiration to manually pull and warp sections of physical tape to make the record more distinctive.

But oh, this Diana is pleasant to hear.  Really does sound a lot like what Mary and the replacements were up to across the way with "Stoned Love."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
9 Feb 2007--it's 1971!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 11:13:03 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
But oh, this Diana is pleasant to hear.  Really does sound a lot like what Mary and the replacements were up to across the way with "Stoned Love."

FYI, I pulled out both the Diana and post-Ross Supes anthologies, to see if there was a connection -- nope.  "Remember Me", like all her hits of that period ("Reach Out and Touch", "Ain't No Mtn", "Surrender") was written & produced by Ashford & Simpson.  The Supes' early-'70s stuff was a bunch of diff folks, including Smokey ("Floy Joy") and Frank Wilson ("Stoned Love", "Up the Ladder", "Nathan Jones" -- talk about an unsung hero!)

Didya know they did a Nilsson tune called "Paradise", produced by Jimmy Webb?